The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
Run Away

Run Away's '69 C10 LWB Project Log

Hey all!
My name is Ben, I'm 28 years old and I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
I've always wanted an old Chevy truck ever since I was a kid, but it never really happened. January 2015 I went to look at a crashed '68 LWB at a local insurance auction, and really liked it. Unfortunately the bidding went over what I was prepared to pay. After losing the auction I spent a lot of time following eBay auctions and realized I probably should have bid higher on that crashed truck. I started throwing out last minute bids on trucks with reserves not met, in a sort of "I shouldn't buy this, but really want to" fashion. To my suprise, I ended up winning an auction for this '69 LWB in Arkansas. Here's some photos from the ebay auction:

It was advertised as a good running truck with a 305, factory A/C, a fresh clear coat of paint all over to preserve the patina, new springs and shocks, new carpet, dash pad, and seat upholstery.

After talking to the seller (a shop) on the phone he told me the truck drove nice and probably could make the 1000 mile trip straight north with minimal work. This sounded like a perfect "Roadkill" trip!

I bought a plane ticket, packed a checked bag full of tools and spare parts, and flew down on a friday morning. The plan was to pick up supplies and address any issues the truck had, then hit the road and cannonball it home. I was supposed to be at work Monday morning.

My first view of my new truck:

Here's a thread I started with some of the details of the trip:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658918

A few highlights:
-brake master cylinder bad when I arrived, replaced in parking lot
-2 qts low on oil
-blew one tire 1hr into the drive, put the spare on and got a room for the night. Replaced all 4 tires the next morning
-couple hours after getting back on the road the heater core blew, looped the lines
-running hot and boiling the coolant is a consistant problem, limped it to LMC truck just outside Kansas City
-replaced heater core in truck stop parking lot in Kansas City
-cannonball'd the remaining 820 miles in 19.5 hrs, including a 2hr nap and customs.

Some pictures from the trip:

Run Away is offline   Reply With Quote