The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
Jaysonb

I guess I need a reality check!!

Hay guys, I built this truck over the last year with the plan of selling it when I was done. I took the truck down to the frame, fixed, and replaced everything. There wasn't much rust, rebuilt a 400 with vortec heads, rebuilt the th350, new bed wood, new paint, new interior, fully undercoated while I had the cab off, nice sound system. I think its a pretty bad ass truck. I'm just not sure if I think its worth more than it is, since I built it. I listed it on craigslist for $15000 obo, hoping to get around 13 or 13,500. Am I way out of line?
Attached Images

Last edited by N2TRUX; 07-25-2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Edited by Forum Staff
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
Jaysonb

Re: I guess I need a reality check!!

A few more.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
Gregski
Post Whore

First of all, Wow, what a gorgeous, beautiful truck, well done mate.

Second, we hot rodders never get the money out of our toys when it's time to let them go, it's just the nature of the game.

I am not sure if you were tight with money when you built it and knew from the get go that it will be a "flip" or were you building it for yourself and than decided to sell it. I have seen guys use cheaper paint, cheaper tires, cheaper parts if its meant to be a flip, than best of everything when its for themselves to keep, know what I'm saying.

Personally I love the step side, but I am not much of an automatic transmission guy, but I am sure 90% of buyers are, so it will sell, also I am not sure what to make of the 400 engine, it's a "white elephant" and may be difficult to get rid of, or you may find that one person that just gotta have it.

The fact that it has no AC may be a negative to some, but I think you are in a cold country so may be no big deal.

I guess what I am saying is drive it here to California and for that price you will sell it in 30 minutes, ha ha
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
Vega_67C10

I'm of the opinion that it looks more like the $18-$20k range, jmo though.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
tommy217xxx

I agree with gregski, they are typically labors of love. Your truck is very nice and I would love to have it. 15k for a new square body doesn't sound unreasonable considering it's a new truck but it's only worth what someone will pay for it.

76 gmc 1500 swb patina finish
Dropped 4/5, 350/4 speed

80 Chevy c10 lwb
305/350
tommy217xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Jaysonb

I know that 15000 is on the high side, I wonder if I would be better off listing it for 13500 firm, instead of 15000 obo.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

With no A/C I think you limit the number of potential buyers, since most regard this as a modern necessity. My experience is that most mods are not valued as much a stock rebuilds to OEM quality. Most guys I know who rebuild old trucks hoping for a profit end us losing money, but your truck is very nice and probably would do better for sale in CA. In terms of reliable daily driver with modern conveniences, $13,500 still buys a nice truck into the 2000s year range. You need a buyer who really likes old stepsides. Advertising in Hemmings might even be a good choice, or AutoTrader, or Ebay with a steep reserve. Good luck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #8
Jaysonb

That's funny, the truck came here from CA right before I bought it. It a a 250 straight 6, with a cracked intigral head, and the folks that had it didn't want to put the money into it to get it to pass emissions. I strongly considered putting vintage air in it, I guess I should have.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
Dead Parrot

Might see if there are any classic car shows in your area. Might be worth showing there in case someone has some money and wants a ready to go truck.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
TKCR

I don't feel you are out of range at all!!! I paid $13,500 for mine and it was appraised for $14,500. And mine is nice, but when I see yours, I'm like WOW!!!
Try listing it in the Classic Car section of AutoTrader. It will take the right person, but they will come along at some point.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #11
1970pelle

There's a butt for every seat, somebody is going to see it and fall in love. And will buy it in a heart beat. Its up to you to get it out there for that someone to see it.
Its a really nice truck, you did a great job. The A/C thing would help, might consider adding a vintage air kit.
Trucks that nice are bringing top dollar and more here in Fl.

Ken

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #12
'68 Newtricks

Run with the price you're asking, might have to sit on it for a bit depending out how depressed your local market is. I think it would go for that price around here, more so around there. It would be into the 20s if it's a 75 and older cause no smog. (sorry, I'm horrible with early squares, can't tell)
Old 07-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #13
1-Ton

I would say 15,000 is not out of line for your truck. Just add the line...$15,000 or OBO
1-Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
gwcrim

If you're in no hurry to sell it, ask a high price for it. You can always come down but never go up. Just a tip from a salesman.
gwcrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:09 PM   #15
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

SNB's are not as popular as SWB's right now, but I personally love a good looking stepper with that lovely wood floor. Only turnoffs I see are the tach and radio (appears to be a modern "cut a hole in the dash" radio). For sure spend a few bucks and get a factory tach setup.

Otherwise, I think your biggest problem is craigslist. Most the people looking on CL are those looking for a project or some other type of cheap car. Use higher end methods to advertise it or think of hiring a service to promote and sell it for you.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #16
lilpoindexter

Craigslist is only if you want to meet all the crazy people in your area. I think your price is on the high side of fair. I am in LA, I personally would want AC in a truck that nice, here in LA. And the Grant Steering wheel is a let down. looks like you could use a new brake pedal pad, too.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #17
Jaysonb

Thanks for the input guys. I have a nice factory steering wheel I can put on. I also have a pretty nice am fm 8 track cb radio I can put in, then I'll check out auto trader, and some of the other suggestions. If I pull the stereo system out, I will have around $600 more wiggle room. Should I install an antenna for the cb?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #18
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysonb View Post
I know that 15000 is on the high side, I wonder if I would be better off listing it for 13500 firm, instead of 15000 obo.
people like to get a deal or think they got a deal, so if its listed for $15K and the dude buys it for $13K he will be running his mouth telling his buddies he bought a $15K truck and got a deal, if you list it for $13.5 the dude will still offer less and expect you to knock off the price, "firm" don't mean much on Craigslist, ha ha
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #19
Jake Wade

I do not think you are out of line. Very nice truck! As said, It needs A/C
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #20
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Would I tear it back apart and add factory AC at this point? Hell no. Vintage air, I dunno. Had you left as a straight 6 and a 3rd pedal, I actually think it would have helped the no air situation.

And I forgot to put the steering wheel in my first post, yes it needs to go. Those types of things might be nice to you but who knows about the person wanting to buy it. That's like wheels, I never add custom wheels to ones I build to sell. Easier to leave that to the new owner and let them know you have left it that way so they could save money.

Here's our current project to sell, heard these are popular right now.
Attached Images

When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #21
Tom
driving is in my blood

That's very much the high end of pricing for an old, built by the bigillions truck but its extremely nicely done and all rebuilt so its just a matter of finding someone with that kind of money and looking for that kind of truck. Your not out of line price wise at all.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #22
Shugalou

I would say 15 is a fair price...but since I have a stepper please increase to 20 so the value in the "market" goes up

I would say to bring mine up that level it would probably come close to 15 so I think you should be able to get it when the right person notice the amount of money/time invested.

Very nice truck

Here's an example in my area - note this CAD

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ationFlag=true

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Jaysonb thank you so much for becoming a subscribing member. We truly appreciate your support.

To answer your question, heres a few things that my experience has taught me. Lets start by saying you have built a beautiful truck with quality parts so it has the potential to bring a decent dollar. High end buyers want modern amenities and thats where you are somewhat lacking. Power windows, power door locks, tilt wheel and tach dash are "almost" mandatory for the above 13k range. A cold working A/C is an absolute must no matter where you live, but especially in the Southern states where squarebodies are bring better money. Those a the items that jump out to me. Combine that with the stepside that narrows your market even more.

Once again, you have built a very nice truck that I would love to own. The potential for it to bring 15k is reduced by the items you have omitted.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 07-25-2016 at 08:04 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #24
Rollin86

I'm from NY and I would personally love your truck. Me too having a step side and sits nicely. A lot of people tell me I should install A/C also while I slowly rebuild a driver but moral is I would definitely give you what your asking. Keep it high and wait for that ass to sit in the seat.
Rollin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #25
nickvig

Whatever the market will bear. If you think your truck is worth $15k and want $13.5k then I would just wait for someone to come along who thinks it's worth what you're asking and then sell it. Is it going to sell quickly at that price? Probably not. But if you're not in a rush then don't worry about it. If I were a buyer and had $10k to spend but could stretch to $13k I might be interested. Honestly if you want to sell quickly I'd drop the price to $13.5k and just stay firm.

The way I look at the market is two-fold. There's the modders and the OEM guys. Modders want a truck with a LS1 swap, vintage air, 5/7 drop, torque thrusts, and fresh paint. OEM guys will spend more for a truck that is stock so they can keep it stock or make it the way they want to. You're kind of in the middle because you're missing some of the things that a modder might want and you really don't have enough original parts on the truck for an OEM guy to be interested. So you need to appeal to the guys who don't care about originality and want an old truck with fresh parts they can drive with no issues. It might be worth it to throw in a Vintage Air system and price it at $15k firm.
nickvig is offline   Reply With Quote