The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #1
DBear

Shackle Flip and 52/56" spring swap

Hey guys, I have researched and have seen opinions all over the board about what I wanted to know about shackle flips and spring swaps....would like to see what you experts think? Here is what I was considering doing to my rig.

Here is what has been done already:
71 Burb 4x4
6.2 diesel/700r4/205
10 bolt/14 bolt swap
37' military BFG's
4" lift springs in front, and blocks in back (which I do not like)

Things considering doing:

Shackle flip from DIY4x with ez inch
(should I use the original 1/2 ton 52" springs for the axle flip or I do have a few sets of Heavier 56" springs as well) Pros and cons?

Spring swap in front, go with 52"springs and ez inch ( would this be a better ride than the 4" lift springs that are 48")??

Trying to get the best ride with roughly 5" of lift. Thanks in advance
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
sweetk30

Re: Shackle Flip and 52/56" spring swap

52" or 56" swap in the front = lot more squirmy / soft in the front end and no sway bar unless custom setup . not the best option anymore . and require crossover steering cause there so flexy and move the axle position so stock push/pull dont work anymore .

what brand up front now ? some brands are SUPER stiff and never get softer .

52" or 56" rear springs are the same except 4" more on the back end of the spring for 73-87 stuff that i know of . so just the rear shackle hanger moves .

56" tend to be a lot more weight capacity over 52" so plan for a stiffer ride after the swap .

i ran blocks for years in the rear no problems . but i also upgrade to 5/8" u-bolts for more clamping force over stock 9/16" or less size .

think this over and reply back .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
DBear

Not sure what brand they are, maybe super lift or tuff country? I did an add a leaf on the front door the extra weight of the 6 2 diesel. Probably just leave them and do axle flip in rear if not too costly. I have sets of 52 and 56's, so will have to decide if I want heavier capacity or not. The thing is off the frame right now and getting some TLC... and hopefully can find what makes it lean toward driver as well...everyone says it's the Chevy Lean lol.

Thanks for the info bud
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
sweetk30

what color front leaf spring bushings ? red/yellow/ black/blue ? this helps id them if they have not been changed before .

what shock now ? shocks make a huge ride quality change . the hot ticket these days is bilstien shocks .

any pics of your front leaf springs ?
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:04 AM   #5
Zoomad75
K5Camper

If it's not a hardcore trail rig I wouldn't go 52's up front. Like sweetk30 said it makes the front super flexy which will give a whole new level of issues up front. Go with soft ride 4" springs and a zero rate to get the extra inch you want. Tuff country and Skyjacker have lower spring rate springs that work well right off the shelf. ORD does do custom springs based on your specs that would be the ultimate in leaf spring ride quality.

Shackle flips in general in my experience just ride better with the same spring you have on there now because as the spring flexes, the shackle just moves further back allowing more travel and flex than stock. In the stock form the shackle can only swing so far during flex before the spring hits the shackle and stops the travel.

I wouldn't move to 56's unless you need the extra capacity.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 AM   #6
'63GENIII

I'll throw my .02 in as I am running the 52s in the front. Stock push pull steering and factory sway bay that I believe came out of a Burb that attaches to the factory front axle spring clamps. The ride definitely provides more flex and I would not run it without the front sway bar - think pucker factor.
I have no issues daily driving the truck, hauling or towing anything I feel like. Personally I think it's one of the best upgrades Ive done to my truck to improve drivability.

The rears, I really can't help you on as I am running 63"ers out of a 2007 HD2500. They are plenty smooth and carry well although they get on the overloads pretty easy if you're carrying any weight.

DIY's quality is second to none. I have their shackle flip and switch in the rear and their B52 set up in front.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote