The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #1201
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

I would have never thougt of that. I will be saving this for the future! Nice Job!!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #1202
nuke1

It's nice to check out your thread progression. But I like my first and foremost experience with your pics. Lol. You can just say I have. VIP passes.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:10 AM   #1203
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I would have never thought of that. I will be saving this for the future! Nice Job!!
Thanks for saying so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
It's nice to check out your thread progression. But I like my first and foremost experience with your pics. Lol. You can just say I have VIP passes.
I try to put more detail into the thread. You get the readers digest version.

I haven't stick welded in quite a while and it showed today. I burned up 1 weld rod for practice. Enough to get the hang of it again and get the amps set on my antique welder. It wasn't pretty but the welds will more than hold. Hell, with some good bolts into the frame and a shackle I could probably lift the truck from the shock mount. Just need to paint it and drill 4 holes in the frame, then weld the bracket up for the other side.

There will be a bit of a challenge drilling the holes in the top of the frame rail cuz of the lack of space to work with, but I'll figure out something. I always do.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #1204
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Mike, nice poster from the auction, and great work on the front suspension. It should be real nice to drive now!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #1205
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice work on the shock mounts! No worries on the old stick welding thing, I have the same problem every time I fire up my old cracker box...it takes a few rods just to get it set half the time. I still make slag holes or burn thru.
Keep the pictures coming.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #1206
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Mike, nice poster from the auction, and great work on the front suspension. It should be real nice to drive now!
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to getting it back out there. This is the hardest part of the winter. It's the coldest. And yet we know it will be getting warmer from here on out. It just takes so $*&^%*!@# LONG! I need to find a place in the garage for that poster and a few others I got too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very nice work on the shock mounts! No worries on the old stick welding thing, I have the same problem every time I fire up my old cracker box...it takes a few rods just to get it set half the time. I still make slag holes or burn thru.
Keep the pictures coming.
Thanks for saying so. The hardest part is getting the arc started. With my antique welder, the stick wants to just stick to the work and not arc. Takes a bit to get it going. Not like the new welders with the nice hot start features. It laid down much better today though.

My antique. Picked it up at a farm auction a few years ago.

I got the driver side bracket mostly done last night and this evening. I had to change it slightly because the E-brake cable was in the way. Here it is tacked up.

And welded...

Gotta get the drill press going and paint the pair of them. Still have to drill the holes in the frame rails too. But thats about it. Drill, paint, install and eventually drive.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #1207
Low Elco

Looks Great! At least they ain't comin' apart!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #1208
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Thanks for saying so. The hardest part is getting the arc started. With my antique welder, the stick wants to just stick to the work and not arc. Takes a bit to get it going. Not like the new welders with the nice hot start features. It laid down much better today though.
Looks like a nice welder to me. I used to use one very similar to that before I had a shop. I welded a lot with it outside, which really sucks when the ground is damp if you know what I mean. It stuck rods real bad too.

Looks like you have it about knocked out now.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #1209
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Looks like a nice welder to me. I used to use one very similar to that before I had a shop. I welded a lot with it outside, which really sucks when the ground is damp if you know what I mean. It stuck rods real bad too.

Looks like you have it about knocked out now.
I'm not really complaining about it. I don't use it enough to complain. It did the job. I contacted the manufacturer and requested a manual for it. They don't have the 1 for my welder anymore but sent me copies of 2 other manuals for similar welders. I thought that was pretty nice.

Today I pretty much finished up this front end rebuild.

And I changed my oil.

And I accidentally lowered my front end a couple inches.

Actually, there was no drinking involved. It was a matter of removing a couple spacers I had in the pockets under my coils. I really didn't expect it to affect the height much if at all. My coils were not cut originals but ones I bought spec'ed out to a certain drop many years ago. If I let my control arms drop the coils are actually loose. I used this tapered spacer I made to keep them in place better and didn't put them back in this time.

I dropped about 2.5", which isn't really a bad thing except the back end is now too high, which means more work. I like a little rake but not 3.25" of it, which is what I have now.

Anyway, here's a few pics.

Took it for a test drive. It was only 10F, but thats waaaaay better than the -10F from this morning. I really didn't notice a big change in the steering or handling. As of now I am considering that a good thing. Nothing got worse. No yucky sounds. No bizarre handling. I didn't get it up to highway speed to see if my little shimmy went away cuz the roads are still a bit messy, but I will the first chance I get.

I did feel fantastic just firing it up again and getting it down the road. I took it to the car wash to get the garage grime off it. Cutting, welding and grinding creates a ton of grit to settle over everything. Here's a couple pics from my wait at the car wash.

Full side...

Lower front...

Back end...

Comparison shot from before...

I washed it but forgot my squeegy or towels so I had to drive it home and wipe it down in the garage. I live about a mile from the car wash. That was enough time to freeze the water , which was kinda good in a way. The water didn't dry so no water spots!

I'm happy. It took a lot longer and was more work than I thought it would be. I took my time though. No need to rush it when it's below zero almost every damn day. I can't really afford to do anything else on my trucks for a while so the next project is replacing my kitchen floor. Only been putting that off for about 9 months.

Thanks for following along. Come spring I will do something to change the altitude out back and get it in for a proper alignment. I will post the results of that. The lowered front has visibly brought the top of the tire inward more so it's gonna need some camber adjustment. The washers I added in behind the upper control arm shaft wasn't nearly enough. Stay warm out there fellas.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #1210
Steve-W

Awesome work on the brackets! I hope you don't mind if I copy the design?
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #1211
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Awesome work on the brackets! I hope you don't mind if I copy the design?
Thanks! Knock yourself out. Or make better ones. You might find an odd piece of scrap that will do the job in a simpler easier way.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #1212
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I took the day off yesterday and spent part of it replacing the alternator. I had noticed some noise coming from it this fall, bad bearings. I had it tested and other than the bearings squeeling it tested ok, but a new replacement with higher amp output was available for $40, so I just bought a new one.

The replacement one though had the wire connectors for a passenger side mount, and driver side mount alternators are harder to get, so I also learned how to clock the alternator to the correct side with this video...

The hardest part is getting the rear most brush back in place. If you have fat fingers, good luck, you're gonna need it. But that's done and it's 1 less thing to worry about on my future road trips.

I also ordered another set of u-bolts for the passenger side lower control arm. I had to get new ones for the driver side cuz I used the wrong nut one the original and wrecked the threads. The new moog u bolts were thicker than the originals, so I will use the same for both sides. It's an easy swap and only costs about $7.50.

I'm also looking for new longer U-bolts for the rear axle so I can put some blocks in and drop the back end another inch or inch and a half. The originals are 3/4" diameter rod and about 3-1/4" width and I cant find them anywhere in that size. The lowering block kits are pretty spendy at $80-90 plus shipping and they don't say what size u-bolts they are using in those kits. I suspect they are 5/8" because that size I can find available. I can make my own spacers. Most of the U-bolts for rear axles I can find are either 1/2" (leaf spring) or 5/8" which is typical on some 4x4's.

Anyone have an opinion on the U bolts, go ahead and share it. I can always find a place that will make what I want, but if 5/8" is available I could just do that.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #1213
Bomp

Thanks for the vid and the info on the alternator. Added to favorites on YT, will use info at a later date.
Back in the day I went to a farm store/ chain saw repair/ anything kinda different type of place,,,. they bent me up some Ubolts. any length any size.
Another place around here (I think their called Six States) Might try a google search something associated with drive line repair. Narrow down the goose chase to find a place that does what your looking for.
As resourceful as you are you gotta be able to sniff out someone with in a 100 miles of you.
Good luck Man!!!
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #1214
Low Elco

5/8 fine thread, as I recall. A spring shop made mine, no problem, $16 apiece I think. 4 1/2" x12", as I recall. It's in the Yeller thread. Here's the page on how to make your own drop blocks-

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...501131&page=15

Truck's still lookin' good!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #1215
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Thanks for the vid and the info on the alternator. Added to favorites on YT, will use info at a later date.
Back in the day I went to a farm store/ chain saw repair/ anything kinda different type of place,,,. they bent me up some Ubolts. any length any size.
Another place around here (I think their called Six States) Might try a google search something associated with drive line repair. Narrow down the goose chase to find a place that does what your looking for.
As resourceful as you are you gotta be able to sniff out someone with in a 100 miles of you.
Good luck Man!!!
I know a spring shop called Kremer Services that I'm pretty sure can make me anything I want and might even have the blocks too. I got lift blocks there for the rear of the Jimmy to level it out. Another shop I now called Proven Force does driveline stuff and might be able to help also. The company that does that video actually has a lot of videos of how to do automotive stuff and are usually very informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
5/8 fine thread, as I recall. A spring shop made mine, no problem, $16 apiece I think. 4 1/2" x12", as I recall. It's in the Yeller thread. Here's the page on how to make your own drop blocks-

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...501131&page=15

Truck's still lookin' good!
I didn't see anything on that page about making drop blocks other than a mention that you made them the day before. But thanks for trying. You'll get the hang of this computer gizmo stuff eventually. BTW, are you sure about those U-bolt measurements? The width is supposed to be the distance between the 2 sides and I think mine are only about 3-1/4". And I measured the current length at about 7-1/2". I was figuring about a 10" length for replacements. But I think I will just remove one from the truck and bring it to the spring shop and tell them to make me ones like that but longer.

What I didn't write about yesterday was actually a story worth telling. So here goes.

Thursday night my son and I changed spark plugs in his blazer and put a new fuel filter in it. The plugs we took out were as bad as any I have ever seen for having the center electrode burned off. Anyway, afterwards we test drove it and it was running better than ever. He had been concerned about it and was driving a couple friends to Mankato friday for a college visit (about 50 miles away). We had a bunch of snow on tuesday and wind the next 2 days blowing it across the roads and icing them up really bad. So I had some concerns but he is a careful driver. Not like I was at his age.

Around 1 he calls me up stranded on the highway in Mankato. Blazer stalled and when he restarted it there was noise like metal on metal banging and squealing. Great. He's ok, but stranded, with his friends. One of the friends has an uncle with AAA so they used his number to get a tow.

That's not really the story, just bare with me. The night before my daughter and I found a car she wanted to look at. It was in Mankato. We headed out of town and the roads were pure crap so I said, nope, it can wait. Back home we went.

Now friday I find myself heading to Mankato to pick up my son and his friends. Hmm, why not go check out the car too? Now I have another driver with so if I buy it I don't have to make another trip. It's a 2001 Buick Century and a little rough, but fixable and in her price range (asking price of $1299, got it for $900, gas monkey ain't the only ones that know how to haggle). So my boy and his friends climb into the Buick and head home. The roads were better but about 1/3 of the drive is still iced bad. And I was a bit worried cuz the rear tires on the Buick were bad. REAL bad.

Everyone made it home ok, including the blazer (rod knock btw).

Still not to the point of my story. Unfortunately it doesn't end there.

Later friday, about 8:00, another carload of boys from town were headed west on hwy 14 out of town. There are 2 big curves, one turning south then back west. All of it was iced up terribly. We heard the sirens. Over and over again. We heard the helicopter coming into the hospital a few blocks away, over and over again. My daughter uses twitter for just about all contact with her friends now and word was spreading quickly. Before I went to bed, 2 people were reported dead, but we didn't know who. In the morning it was 4 dead, all local boys. Classmates of my kids.

One of them is a neighbor kid, his dad is a teacher at the school and my daughter had him for 4th grade. They also lost a daughter less than a year ago to a diabetic complication. Another of the boys just graduated last year and I've known his parents since we moved into town. His sister graduated with my oldest girl. Another was a student at the catholic school in town. His brother was the driver and is the lone survivor from that car load.

They lost control of the car on that icy curve. There was a 99 dodge pickup in the east bound lane and they slid sideways right in front of it. The family in the truck survived with minor injuries, which is astounding considering the severity of the crash. There were 2 young children in the truck with their dad driving. I'm sure there was nothing he could do to avoid it and he will have to live with this memory. At least he and his kids survived though.

It has hit this small community pretty hard. I choked up just writing this. I was on that road the night before and saw how bad it was. A friend of mine is a tow truck operator and he has been going non-stop the past few days and said he could just feel a bad accident coming on that stretch of road. My boy and his friends made it home friday. I wish that was the case for everyone.

BTW, the kids in the back seat, no seat belts. The driver had a seat belt on and he woke up in the hospital. A week ago there was a similar accident in Mankato where 3 college kids died. None of them was wearing a seat belt.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #1216
Low Elco

Awww Maaannnn... I'm sorry. Same thing happened south of here over the weekend. Out in the country, 4 kids in an Audi, something went sideways, hit the only tree for an 1/8 mile in either direction. Lost them all, all the same family. Not much you can say to that. Give lots of hugs.

Glad yours are all safe and sound.

Last edited by Low Elco; 03-10-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #1217
Low Elco

Sadly, back to topic:

Post 368, how to make blocks: You get a bunch of 1/2x2x7" long aluminum bars and bolts good for 2 1/2 inches and drill 2 .783 holes in them centered on 4.250 centers and Voila! adjustable drop! Stack more blocks on till you like it!

As for the bolts, IDK, that's what the guy at the spring shop told me, he rattled it off from memory and told me to pick 'em up at 3. Every shop probably has their own method.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #1218
mcbassin
Still Learning

So sorry hear about your community tragedy. That is so sad when our youngsters are taken too young.
They just don't realize what forces are thrown at you without a seat belt you have less than 50/50 chance. I have had my life spared by a seat belt and I always buckle up.

Not on the bright side, Every time you post up a pic of your truck out on the road, I get jealous and envious at the same time. But it also gives me inspiration to get mine finished. I love the fact you get to use your truck.....One of these days.
Very nice work on the shock mounts. Glad they worked out first try.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #1219
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Awww Maaannnn... I'm sorry. Same thing happened south of here over the weekend. Out in the country, 4 kids in an Audi, something went sideways, hit the only tree for an 1/8 mile in either direction. Lost them all, all the same family. Not much you can say to that. Give lots of hugs.

Glad yours are all safe and sound.
tragic. Unfortunately there are too many stories like this out there.

Quote:
Sadly, back to topic:

Post 368, how to make blocks: You get a bunch of 1/2x2x7" long aluminum bars and bolts good for 2 1/2 inches and drill 2 .783 holes in them centered on 4.250 centers and Voila! adjustable drop! Stack more blocks on till you like it!

As for the bolts, IDK, that's what the guy at the spring shop told me, he rattled it off from memory and told me to pick 'em up at 3. Every shop probably has their own method.
Ahh, there it is, my bad. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
So sorry hear about your community tragedy. That is so sad when our youngsters are taken too young.
They just don't realize what forces are thrown at you without a seat belt you have less than 50/50 chance. I have had my life spared by a seat belt and I always buckle up.

Now on the bright side, Every time you post up a pic of your truck out on the road, I get jealous and envious at the same time. But it also gives me inspiration to get mine finished. I love the fact you get to use your truck.....One of these days.
Very nice work on the shock mounts. Glad they worked out first try.
I love that I get to use it too. Even though the weather has kind of squashed that for a while. Spring is finally coming here in the north country. Just a matter of weeks now, not months, so I'm anxious to get it back out there.

Yours is coming along. Sometimes that last stage of the build is the hardest. You never seem to get as far putting it back together as you thought you would when you started the day. But that sense of accomplishment once you do finish something is pretty sweet too.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #1220
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I tried to take the truck out this weekend since we had some nice weather, but there were problems. First the battery was dead. I charged it.

Then it started and ran alright but the battery was draining while it was running. BAD. Since it was killing the battery I couldn't have it tested installed because you need to be able to restart the truck during the test without a jump. Wasn't happening.

Brought it home, charged it again. Had a full charge sunday night. Monday afternoon it was too dead to start again. Key off.

Alright, theres a short somewhere. Heres the simple way of finding the short...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=33198

I used a multimeter, but you get the point. I pulled every fuse in the truck and it was still shorted somewhere. So I disconnect the plug into the alternator. Almost completely killed it, but not quite. So I disconnected the main power lead from the lug. That fixed it. Brought the brand new alternator in for testing and it failed. Instead of getting the same alternator and having to clock it again (it's possible I damaged it, but its more likely a bad wire insulation that fried) this time we searched the book of alternators and found that the same part# with a B added to the end gives me the same alternator clocked for the driver side mounting. For some dumb reason it costs about $8 more and there is no physical difference between them. Just how they turn the back of the casing when it's put together.

Anyway, I will get that installed, battery is charged, and see if the short comes back (indicating wiring issues) or if I had more than 1 short, which is possible. Wish me luck.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #1221
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Hope it works out. I so hate searching for a wiring issue in a vehicle.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #1222
mcbassin
Still Learning

I hate wiring gremlins. Hopefully, that will fix the problem. good luck.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #1223
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Hope it works out. I so hate searching for a wiring issue in a vehicle.
Quote:
I hate wiring gremlins. Hopefully, that will fix the problem. good luck.
So far, so good. Installed the alternator last night. Put the fuses back in. Still had a good charge this morning, so I took it for a short drive, stopped at napa and everything tests out good. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have anymore issues. I have another road trip planned to the St Louis area and catching the last couple days of the hot rod power tour and I don't want any problems.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #1224
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Man, sorry to hear about the losses in your community. Definitely a tragedy. That ice is nothing to jack around with.

Nice work on your truck man. It really looks good lower. I have been wondering if you have any plans for any mud flaps as I see a small amount of mess on your rear quarter? I'm trying to find a decent set of flaps that doesn't look like an elephant ear hanging on the bed for mine. I feel for you on your wiring issue. When I first tried to start mine last year I had a wire go up in smoke. Everything was wired correctly, I'm guessing the old harness was previously stressed and just moments away from being a fire. I ended up purchasing an American Auto Wire update kit for mine. I wanted newer fuses and the new wiring should be better peace of mind.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #1225
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Man, sorry to hear about the losses in your community. Definitely a tragedy. That ice is nothing to jack around with.

Nice work on your truck man. It really looks good lower. I have been wondering if you have any plans for any mud flaps as I see a small amount of mess on your rear quarter? I'm trying to find a decent set of flaps that doesn't look like an elephant ear hanging on the bed for mine. I feel for you on your wiring issue. When I first tried to start mine last year I had a wire go up in smoke. Everything was wired correctly, I'm guessing the old harness was previously stressed and just moments away from being a fire. I ended up purchasing an American Auto Wire update kit for mine. I wanted newer fuses and the new wiring should be better peace of mind.
Life, for the rest of us, moves on. I think the kids have recovered pretty quickly, those families will be hurting a long time though.

I haven't thought much about mud flaps on this. On the Jimmy, yes. There is 1 thing I wish I had done though during paint and that would have been to put that rock chip protector stuff on it. Too late now, but if it gets repainted again I will do that. The dirt is just a hazard of driving on spring time roads. I still need to get the ass end dropped a bit though. As for the wiring, I really think it was just a bad alternator. It sat for months without any issues, then I swap that and its draining the battery. If I have ongoing electrical problems I will have to consider updating it.