The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #101
sboris

Re: Sooo, I finally got me an old truck - AKC's 1968 C30

Really coming along!!
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #102
AKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Really coming along!!
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #103
AKC

Cool beans! Just sold the old seat. Quick $45.00! The cats'll have to find somewhere else to cruise. Like they don't have run of the whole house anyway...

Kept the tracks, they may come in handy some day. Or perhaps trade fodder...
Old 03-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #104
AKC

Not much to report this Sunday...

I stayed up really late last night, waiting for the real rain to show up. It had been drizzling for the better part of the day, it didn't start really coming down until very early this morning. But it didn't disappoint, it came down pretty good for a while. Wish it had been longer.

So I luxuriated in bed this morning, and had a lazy day. Almost.

Walked down to 'Anela just now and installed the radio delete I picked up and gave a fresh coat of paint to. It's almost too white, but definitely better looking than holes in the dash...

Photo place holder

Grabbed the coin tray and the shift boot ring, I'll clean them up a bit and give them some fresh white too.

Looks like the bed has held up well, it's been very damp nights, foggy mornings turning into sunny days this week. Then it got dumped on last night. May not have to wait a few weeks for recoats, seems like it could use it now. But the wood does look happier...

Photo place holder

It's really blustery out as these fronts pass through, supposed to get more rain tonite.

Every little thing counts, right?

Last edited by AKC; 03-06-2018 at 10:42 PM.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:35 AM   #105
AKC

These seem like a bit much, I'd lose the stakes, and I'm not sure it's the look I'd like to go for.

However, the guy only wants $50 ea for the boxes and it would solve the storage problem.

Or perhaps I should hold out for the others I mentioned?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:52 AM   #106
AKC

And I also found someone with an auxiliary tank from an RV that sounds like it would fit between the frame rails. Works out to be about 50 gals or so.

May as well put that filler neck hole on the right side of the bed to use...
Old 03-10-2016, 01:39 AM   #107
AKC

I went and took a look at the aux tank. It's BIG. And HEAVY. And it's $30.00! (Pardon my crappy Bucket editing)

Photo place holder

This is the area I'm thinking of fitting it in;

Photo place holder

The tank measures 42"L x 28"W x 13"H overall. The short side of the tank is 34"L x 6"H but is 8"H from the brackets welded on the sides. Total volume calcs to just a little over 60gal, take a little off for it not being tippy-top full. It is baffled inside, could use a good boil-out, but otherwise it's very sound. 1/4" brackets welded to the sides, 14GA steel throughout.

I have 34 1/2~3/4" from the last frame crossmember to the rear step of the bed, and a little over 28" between the rails, but I would have to square off the gussets at the bottom of the crossmember to get it in. Would that be a bad thing to do? I'll also have to replace the rear u-bolts for the bed with tie-plates, something I'm contemplating already anyway. And I'd have to redo the mid-step at the back of the bed. I don't think the weight would be too much of a concern, the truck sits really high in the back, with those spring packs? Are you kidding? I'm looking at what, about 400~450 lbs or so with the tank full?

The longer section would project about 7" down, which isn't that far, all things considered.

The fill tube would be on the left, and oddly enough, it's at the bottom of the tank instead of the top. There's a top vent, sender, another fitting for I don't know what, a drain bung, and a couple of fittings up forward (1 for a generator and 1 for fuel line to engine)

I wouldn't be able to use the existing hole in the right side of the bed unless I flip the tank, and I don't think that would work anyway. Besides, the fill tube on the left makes more sense, same side as the other fill tube. Just have to cut a new hole.

Then, of course, there's the having to fill a 55+gal tank. That would be painful. Just lock the lever and go get a sandwich. And stop off at the bank and take out a small loan on the way back.

But just imagine the range. I haven't had a chance to see what I'm getting MPG-wise at the moment, but if I figure it at 12mpg, that's about 660 miles on this sucker.

I'd probably use this tank for the main, with the in-cab tank as the reserve.

Am I nuts for considering this?

Last edited by AKC; 03-06-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #108
flashed

I dont think youre nuts ,Im having the same thoughts on mine .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #109
AKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I dont think youre nuts ,Im having the same thoughts on mine .
Thanks! That's one vote for insanity.

C'mon folks, let me hear it.

I'm mostly concerned with notching (squaring) the gussets on that crossmember because of it's proximity to the rear spring mounts. Would this lead to cracking if I don't bolster them in some way?

It wouldn't be the first $30 I've wasted, but if others with a little more insight point out serious flaws in my thinking, I'd like to hear them...
Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #110
wolfsmurf70

unless your going to be swapin in a diesel or pulling sleds I don't think the bit of crossmember mod will hurt the ole gal.
wolfsmurf70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:37 AM   #111
AKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsmurf70 View Post
unless your going to be swapin in a diesel or pulling sleds I don't think the bit of crossmember mod will hurt the ole gal.
Thanks.

Stopped by 'Anela on the way in tonite, did some more measurin' and lookin' before I lost the light.

I'm now pretty sure the fill port is going to have to move, most likely up and forward. Where it's at now will put it all the way back, and down that low is just asking for trouble.

I may be able to place it where the "unknown port" is now, which would eliminate the trouble of having to weld that hole shut. But it will make the installation a little trickier.

I still think it can be done without too much trouble...

Last edited by AKC; 03-26-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #112
AKC

Went and checked out the boxes yesterday. It was a beautiful day for a drive to Santa Paula...

The boxes are nice, a little more beat up than I hoped, but still in good shape. Brigham mfg'd, lockable (I'd need to employ my buddy the locksmith for keys)

Aside from the mounting holes, there have been quite a few holes drilled here and there for various purposes over the years.

I'm still on the fence about the "service bed" look, and I think I have enough projects to keep me busy. They'd just end up sitting in the garage (forever) waiting for me to get at them.

Still, nice boxes for $50 ea.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #113
Katrina/10

I think your truck looks great as is. If you don't really need all those boxes, why put them on? They are cheap for sure, you could set them on there and see what you think. I like the smooth flatbed look, myself. As for the extra gas tank, again, if you don't really need all that range, why bother? If you do, go for it!

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #114
Hack71

Awesome, Looking good!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #115
AKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
I think your truck looks great as is. If you don't really need all those boxes, why put them on? They are cheap for sure, you could set them on there and see what you think. I like the smooth flatbed look, myself. As for the extra gas tank, again, if you don't really need all that range, why bother? If you do, go for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack71 View Post
Awesome, Looking good!
Thanks guys! I'm going to pass on the on-bed boxes and stick with the original plan of a couple of small under-bed boxes.

Still kicking around the tank idea. It wouldn't take up a lot of room in the garage and can wait.

Took 'Anela out for a spin, filled 'er up, picked up a couple spots for the mirrors. Got home and decided to pull the stakes. The right forward one is stuck good and proper. I'm letting some PB Blaster work it's way in, but I'm pretty sure some "persuasion" will be necessary.

While waiting on that, I pulled the cowl (the wiper arms were kinda stuck, but once I figured a trick out, they came right off) and as I suspected, one of the wiper pivots (passenger side) was totally frozen. Checked the motor once the pivots/linkages were out and it seems to be fine. PB Blaster to the rescue again, I let some work in while I diddly-farked around with some other stuff and then vised it up and gave it a try. It moved, a little. Worked some more in and slowly got more and more rotation. Finally got it free enough to start working some oil in and eventually it was as smooth as the other one. Yay! Another part I don't have to track down right away and I'll be able to drive in the rain. If it rains...

That's all back in and functioning smoothly. Need to pick up some new blades, NAPA should be fine for now. I'm also going to order a new cowl/hood seal to put in before I bolt/screw it back down. I need to remove a couple pounds of dirt first from the ends of the cavity.

Tried to remove the stuck stake. It's stuck. Persuasion. It's too late right now to be whanging on the truck. I'll get it later.

The fill-up gave me some numbers to punch into Fuelly, says I'm getting 9.7 mpg at the moment. Took 15.726 gal to fill, and the gauge was just below 1/4, so it looks like the gauge is reasonably accurate.

Sorry, no pics today.

I think an upper steering column bearing will be on order soon...

Last edited by AKC; 03-17-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:48 PM   #116
AKC

Came home to daylight, DST. Yay.

But there is some daylight to work on 'Anela. Gave getting the stuck stake out another try.

Finally got the rear upright to let go, I think rust and a bunch of little rocks/grit had wedged themselves in the pocket.

But the forward upright? Fergit it. It's absolutely in there. I finally unbolted the bottom board, popped the side nails out and pulled the single bolt through the tip. Pulled right out. The wood tip is totally rotten, most of it stayed behind in the metal tip. And that just stirred up into soup. Yup, soup. It would appear that pocket isn't draining and is full of water (and PB Blaster) and wood pulp. It's a pretty good bet the tip is fused to the pocket, although I can get it to move a little. Fore and aft, just not up. I'll keep working at it.

Went ahead and pulled all the front boards except the very bottom one that locks the bed boards in. Half the screws were falling out anyway. Used a couple to replace 2 that had fallen out of the bottom board.

No pics again, it got dark and I got too busy.

One of my elderly neighbors walked by with his dog.

"Still tryin' ta fix that clunker of yours?"

"Yup."

"Well, sometimes it don't work out."

Thanks for the encouragement, ya old fart.

So now I have a flatbed with no stakes. The plan originally was to just knock the loose paint off and hit the wood with sumpin' and stick them back on. With ALL the screws.

Bang goes that idea...
Old 03-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #117
AKC

Found a local vendor that has the metal stake tips. And all-metal uprights. Which to use?

The tips are cheap, but take quite a bit of fitting, (there is a woodshop/club here in the Village, but I'm not much of a joiner) and it's that much more wood to buy.

The all-metal uprights obviously don't take as much time, do cost more, (I can almost buy all 8 tips for the price of one) but don't look quite as "classic" as all wood. They're also only 31" tall. (Don't know if that's overall or from the pocket up)

Photo place holder

What's a fella to do?

Last edited by AKC; 03-06-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #118
AKC

Just checked, they're 31" from the tip up. And they have longer ones, just not listed because there's a shipping difference. I'd just go get them anyway.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #119
AKC

Came home with one goal in mind - "Get that tip out of the pocket."

First, some pics while the light was good;

Here's 'Anela without the stakes.

Photo place holder

A shot of the bed wood a few weeks after the treatment. (looks like it could use some more...)

Photo place holder

Here's the cowl off, and the dirt piles. Sorry the dirt shots are rotated, you'll get the idea.

Photo place holder

And now...

My nemesis...

Photo place holder

This is the wood upright that was in that one.

Photo place holder

The other tip that I finally got to wiggle loose.

Photo place holder

As it seemed there would be no saving the tip stuck in the bed pocket, I reamed out the two side holes and put a bolt in to give me something to pry against. Cheap bolt, but still a 1/2" bolt.

A block of aluminum as a fulcrum and my longest pry bar. That bolt bent like it was made of lead. Still had some throw on the bar, and that sucker wouldn't budge. I'm putting almost full body weight into this.

After trying to think out a better leverage situation, I decided to give it another try, bouncing the bar with all the weight I could put on it.

Success! It sounded like a stuck Pitman arm letting go. Fortunately it didn't go flying anywhere.

Photo place holder

Yeah, the tip is toast. I'm going to keep it as a reminder. Perseverance.

The pocket is actually in pretty good shape. A little scraping and it should clean up well. It seems that some of the tips had weep holes in them, and some didn't. This was one of those. That would explain the wood soup...

I'm kinda leaning toward the steel uprights, 31" is the perfect length, and I can trim them down for the rear stakes. Paint them white and get some boards.

ETA - I'm just going to go ahead and get both the steel uprights and the new tips. The tips are so cheap, why not? It's another trip out to Santa Fe Springs to get the stakes and tips, may as well make it worthwhile. That way I'll have them when I want to do some wood uprights later on down the road.

I'll probably run her without them for now, and assemble stake parts over time.

Still little steps, there's plenty to keep busy.

Last edited by AKC; 03-06-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #120
Katrina/10

That looks sporty with no stakes.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #121
AKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
That looks sporty with no stakes.
Thanks! She does look a little sleeker, doesn't she?

One of the aspects to the appeal for me was the fact that the bed wasn't any wider than the cab. (or just barely, anyway)

I've just finished Vic's thread, the man certainly has a way of putting ideas in ones head, doesn't he?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #122
flashed

It does look great without the stakes and the bed being about the same width as the cab is better too ,makes it much easier to see out the mirrors .My bed is way too wide ,it must have come off a later model truck .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #123
AKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
It does look great without the stakes and the bed being about the same width as the cab is better too ,makes it much easier to see out the mirrors .My bed is way too wide ,it must have come off a later model truck .
Thanks! The hardest part about seeing out the mirrors on 'Anela is the vents kinda get in the way.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #124
AKC

I have to reiterate here - I have NO shop space, and when I acquired the spot in the RV storage lot, I was able to determine exactly what type of maintenance I was allowed to perform here.

I can get away with quite a lot, actually. But major teardowns, yanking engines, major painting, etc., are out of the question. That includes in my own garage. It's not like 'Anela would fit in there anyway. (she would, but it'd be awful tight)

Such are the pains of living in a retirement community with an association. It's a nice place, but I still wonder what I'm doing here. It was a good move for the benefit of my wife at the time, but now that she's gone, I'm questioning staying here.

I have access to the auto hobby shops at Mugu and Hueneme, but unfortunately even there it's best if you're reasonably self-supporting. And if I can't get the job done in a day or two, storage fees start kicking in.

I have a former co-worker who's retired now, is a motorhead (I think he still has something like a dozen *#&!'s) and has a small setup not too far from home. I need to see what his situation is there.

So I have to be satisfied with what I can accomplish on my own, no matter how small the job.

Heck, I'm happy if I get a rusty fastener replaced and that's it...
Old 03-16-2016, 08:41 PM   #125
swamp rat

I get it, i have a garage that i cant fit my truck into so i'm relegated to working under a car cover and it rains a lot over here.... Do what ya can when ya can!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote