The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
jrdecat

Arrow 1948 1 1/2 Ton Loadmaster

Found this on the ol' craigslist today...the wife is going to kill me! I wasn't looking for a big dumper, but the price was right. I'd really like a '59 4x4, but I haven't come across that one yet. The guy I bought it from swears he has driven it, but it hasn't been started recently. The battery was dead (imagine that) and we couldn't get it to fire up with the crank either. I could turn the engine though and could hear it trying to suck in air, which I took as a good sign. I offered the guy $150 under his asking price since it wouldn't start and he took another $50 off and handed me the keys, title, and original owner's manual! I'm amazed at the sheet metal on this thing. Based on the price, I was expecting a pile of crumpled metal with lots of cancer, but I was pleasantly surprised! Sure it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than what a lot of people have to start with. Not even a rusted cab corner! I want to get her into usable condition and use her for a driver. I know it won't be the most economical ride, but you don't buy something like this for fuel economy. Luckily, the commute to work has a max speed limit of 50 mph. List of things to do:

1) Drink a beer
2) Clean out the mouse infestation
3) Clean up interior.
4) Get the motor running
5) New side windows, door panels (custom stainless or aluminum?)
6) Tires and/or rims.
7) Cut the bed narrower so it will fit on the road and into parking spots better.
8) Disc brakes.

Somewhere down the road I might throw a diesel in there, but I won't have to worry about that for a long time. I just need to be able to paint my business name on the side and drive around.

I am now taking suggestions on where to begin. The numbered list was just the first few things that popped into my head.

Last edited by jrdecat; 05-23-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: messed up the image uploads...
jrdecat is offline   Reply With Quote