The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Devil'S Ride

Smile project: Wheeler

Ok....so I have had this truck for a while, and after i got it, the PO at somepoint had converted it to a gas motor from a diesel. To say that the wiring was AFU and atrocious would be a complete understatement. After replacing two carbs, a front driveshaft, front brakes, rebuilding the hubs, changing all the fluids, 6 starters, two new flex plates, a PS pump and box and going to all MSD dist and ignition I decided it was time to stop trying to just fix all the problems the truck came with and tear it all apart. I don't use the truck for anything more than a wheeling and hunting truck, and sometimes to tow my camp trailer to the hunting camp. After taking the truck wheelin 3 times and coming home with something broken and new electrical problems every time I parked it for about 2 years, planning and collecting parts.

About two years ago I started tearing everything out, to begin a re-wire. I gutted the interior, everything came out, dash, wiring, pad, carpet, seats:
starting off-

almost empty!

engine compartment disaster!

In this build I am going for simplicity and function....

Some of my new parts:

The Dash as it sits now.

I have since put in buckets, which makes things a lot more comfortable, and a better view point. The old steering has been replaced with a 4x2 box, and crossover. Custom front bumper, new rear bumper in the works, Bushwacker flares have been removed, fenders hogged out, 3" body lift is coming off in favor of a 1" aluminum puck BL, Bed will be bobbed for the time being, plans for a flatbed are in the works with about 8 inches removed from the frame. At the moment I am trying to figure out a new fuel tank, as having the saddle bag tanks makes me nervous about crushing one on a tree or rock. Thinking about having one made to fit between the frame rails under the tool box at the front of the bed. (Cut a hole in the bed floor to fit around) Hoping for a 25-30 gallon capacity.

Eventually going to finish setting up a 203/205 to go behind my TH400. I will either end up rebuilding my BBC again, or toying with the thought of a warmed over 12 valve CTD. I'll get some more pics of the seats and the fender trimming sometime in the near future.

I run a lot of trails, rocks, narrow climbs, and all my wheelin' buddies run mini trucks....toyotas, ford rangers, scouts, jeeps....and I have followed them everywhere without an issue. Now, getting them to follow me is not so easy!

Let me know your thoughts and ideas!!

Thanks for looking and reading!

1983 ONE TON 454/400/208 11" of lift on 44's
Devil'S Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
shilo

Re: project: Wheeler

That truck looks remarkably familiar! Yes the wiring was "weird" going from the diesel to a gas, but comon it wasnt that bad. Coulda been better, just saying. Haha, im glad you got big plans for it, i was wondering what happend to it. I loved that truck.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Devil'S Ride

HAHAHA! Hey bud! I was wondering if you were still around here! The ol' girl has come a long way since she rolled off your trailer! I spent a year and a half chasing electrical gremlins and finally after it dieing on me on the road and in several mud pits i parked it and started the rebuild.

She has been great so far and now i'm in the next phase. that poor 3" BL has torn off two mounts and broken the rear cab mount, so its coming off and everything will be rewelded and strengthened. She looks a good bit different now too.

Whatever happened to the old red girl? You have fun with that one?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
shilo

Im glad its still kickin! the electrical gremlins have always been a issue. I dont know what the heck its problem is. Thats too bad about the body lift, i guess years of the extra stress eventually catch up to an old truck. Get some pics, I wanta see it. Ill post some pics of the red truck before i sold it.

The red gmc, i loved that truck too. I sold it two years ago after moving to colorado. I didnt have much of a need for a cold blooded and altitude sensitive beast. But it was a beast. I sold it to a freind who treated it a little rough then sold it to his brother in the air force. its in Cheyenne wyoming now. Its list of new parts are: New ps pump and box, driveshaft, coupler between tranny and t-case, many of front hubs and axle u-joints (weakass dana 44) and a cam (old one went flat quick). Still a good lookin and mean soundin ride though.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Devil'S Ride

Yeah, that old girl was stump pullin mother.....was BA when she was runnin right.... glad she served you well though. So you are in CO now huh....little closer....might have to meet in the middle and find some wheelin one of these days.

I'll get some more pics up when the wife finds my camera cable....lol

Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
shilo

Im always down for wheelin. I been building a 71 shortbox the past two years. Got dana 60/14 bolt t-400/205 for it and 37's. Im almost done with the 496 stroker. just need a carb and dyno time.

my jeeps always ready to go. its got d60/14 bolt and 39" boggers. Moab is just 1.5 hrs away for me.