The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
ARGluck

Transmission Shift Lever Adjustment

Bought this truck a few weeks ago (my intro post is still floating around) and it runs really well. The only thing I feel really needs to be fixed is the shifting for 1-R. Someone converted it from 3 on the tree to the floor and either then or someone between has created a 1-R that doesn't truly engage.

Currently (pic below, all in neutral) the shifting is upside down (1 where R typically would be, 2 where 3 would be). Not a hard fix, actually an incredibly easy fix. The real issue is I can't just rotate the shift lever 180 degrees (for 1-R at least) because it's not aligned vertically. It's slanting closer to horizontal when in neutral than it is vertical. This of course means when I shift to 1 or R even if I throw the shifter a very long distance I'm not really engaging 1 or R. It's bad enough that if I'm not really careful I'll drop out of first.

Anyway, long story short, I need to adjust this and I'm looking for advice and information on exactly what I'm getting myself into. Perhaps someone has a few pics or instructions... I can easily remove the linkage and levers, pull the cover and have access inside the case but can I even adjust this without removing the tranny?

Before I get too deep I'm hoping someone can explain what I'm getting myself into and provide advice.

Thanks for your time
Attached Images

ARGluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Transmission Shift Lever Adjustment

Here's and autozone pic that may or may not help.

Someone mentioned that he cut the slots to realign the arms to fit with a dremel tool. Just be careful to cut so they fit snug with now slop. Also, install rubber arm inserts in the holes. I made my own with metal tubing and rubber hose small enough to fit. Used washers to hold it in place.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...5280081030.gif
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Another pic I found on the net.

I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
luvbowties

Question Re: Transmission Shift Lever Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGluck View Post
Bought this truck a few weeks ago (my intro post is still floating around) and it runs really well. The only thing I feel really needs to be fixed is the shifting for 1-R. Someone converted it from 3 on the tree to the floor and either then or someone between has created a 1-R that doesn't truly engage.

Currently (pic below, all in neutral) the shifting is upside down (1 where R typically would be, 2 where 3 would be). Not a hard fix, actually an incredibly easy fix. The real issue is I can't just rotate the shift lever 180 degrees (for 1-R at least) because it's not aligned vertically. It's slanting closer to horizontal when in neutral than it is vertical. This of course means when I shift to 1 or R even if I throw the shifter a very long distance I'm not really engaging 1 or R. It's bad enough that if I'm not really careful I'll drop out of first.

Anyway, long story short, I need to adjust this and I'm looking for advice and information on exactly what I'm getting myself into. Perhaps someone has a few pics or instructions... I can easily remove the linkage and levers, pull the cover and have access inside the case but can I even adjust this without removing the tranny?

Before I get too deep I'm hoping someone can explain what I'm getting myself into and provide advice.

Thanks for your time
Why are both shift-lever-arms--the short arms bolted to trans--bolted on upside down? Just to have a different/backwards shift pattern? Or to clear a seat? Or just an error when installing the floor shifter?

A friend in college installed a floor shifter in his '55 Chevy and told me he was gonna take the shifter back because it shifted backwards. I couldn't imagine what he meant 'til he got me to go drive it. When I showed him what he'd done, he was quite meek, but switched his arms and it shifted correctly--actually, it shifted nicely/firmly before, but just backwards. Had no one known which way it was supposed to shift, they coulda driven it forever in that backward mode!
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 10-23-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: grammar
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
ARGluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Why are both shift-lever-arms--the short arms bolted to trans--bolted on upside down? Just to have a different/backwards shift pattern? Or to clear a seat? Or just an error when installing the floor shifter?
Sam
I couldn't tell you, I didn't install it in the first place. The issue isn't them being upside down, that can be fixed in 10 minutes. The issue is they're not vertical (at least not 1-R) and because of the close to horizontal angle on the 1-R lever I'm not getting much movement from them which means they don't engage the gears well.

My question is, what are my options. Do I have to pull the trans? Can I buy new ones that compensate for the angle on the nut? Do I have to fabricate my own? Ideas?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Smitty

I'm not sure. But it would seem to me that since you are going to reposition the levers you should just be able to re-index the forward one to the vertical position you required. Mickey Mouse probably used that position because he couldn't figure out what else to do to make it fit.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Why are both shift-lever-arms--the short arms bolted to trans--bolted on upside down?
That's the correct orientation of the levers when used with the factory column shifter. Someone didn't change them (for whatever reason) when they installed the floor shifter.

Aftermarket levers are readily available for use with floor shifters if you don't want to mess around trying to re-slot the factory ones so they can be flipped up the other way.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
ARGluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
That's the correct orientation of the levers when used with the factory column shifter. Someone didn't change them (for whatever reason) when they installed the floor shifter.

Aftermarket levers are readily available for use with floor shifters if you don't want to mess around trying to re-slot the factory ones so they can be flipped up the other way.
Exactly what I thought, for whatever reason (money or what have you) they used the old levers.

I pulled it apart yesterday and got a good look. Thought about adjusting the original ones but I think I'll just buy new or fabricate my own.

I'll start the search for new shift lever arms (thanks for the correct term luvbowties) and see what comes up. If I can't find some (without all the other stuff) I'll have to make my own.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
luvbowties

Smile Re: Transmission Shift Lever Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGluck View Post
Exactly what I thought, for whatever reason (money or what have you) they used the old levers.

I pulled it apart yesterday and got a good look. Thought about adjusting the original ones but I think I'll just buy new or fabricate my own.

I'll start the search for new shift lever arms (thanks for the correct term luvbowties) and see what comes up. If I can't find some (without all the other stuff) I'll have to make my own.
Hey ARGluck, based on your responses I can tell you're on the right track(s). The older 3-speed kits came with an assortment of shift lever arms so that one kit would fit several diff. applications. Instructions varied widely on diff. aps--like from 1 of the orig w/1 of the new to both new ones. They were even marked/stamped with letters that were referred to in the kit's instctns.

Just one more heads up: I'd not even consider taking the side cover off to make modifications; all proper mods can be done w/tranny installed and w/out removing the cover. Would be nice if you report back where you found these arms-----assuming you do find them.

I've not checked the mkt. on 3-sp shift kits in ages, but I'd think a good operating, inexpensive(There IS a diff. between inexpensive and cheap!) one could be found. I'd say expensive, over-designed kits would be kinda wasteful, as our 3-speeds aren't well-adapted to "speed-shifting" anyway.

Good luck, and enjoy this challenge. Rewards and self-satisfaction are on the way!
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
WIDESIDE72

Shifters and install kits are atill available thru Hurst.

http://hurst-shifters.com/?page_id=1...=2121&sm=0&e=0
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
ARGluck

It already has a Hurst Indy shifter. It would be wasteful to purchase an entire kit for one shift lever arm (the 2-3 arm can be rotated vertically). The problem is whoever put the shifter on the floor mismatched the kit parts (probably to save money) and used what they had lying around.

I'll have a new shift lever arm made by the end of the work day and I also found a few on ebay. I'll post some pics of how it turned out.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
WIDESIDE72

Install kits available separately
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
ARGluck

Finally got around to fixing this. I fabricated one shift lever arm myself and bought another online (eBay) just in case. Decided to use both in the swap. I'll probably pull mine and shorten the throw on it some but overall they work so much better than what the PO had on there. Shifts smoothly and doesn't drop out of first anymore.

Here's the pics, the one on the left I made, the one on the right was purchased (shipped) for $22. This pic is my test drive, since then I adjusted the washers and pins.

The purchased shift lever arm is Hurst #105-7058, a 4 speed shift lever arm which is used in their 3737834 kit.
Attached Images