The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
jeh

Cab Swap/Vin # Question

lve been looking for another C10 off and on this summer, I found one this weekend that I really like but I'd like some input on it. It's a really nice 68 short bed restored about seven years ago, slick paint, lowered correct (static), nice interior, Vintage Air, Billet Specialties wheels, mild built small block/350 trans, the list goes on. What I'm wondering is he used a true short wheel base frame but used a cab from a 68 C30, his title says 1968 Chevrolet Truck and has the correct vin to match the plate on the door jam ( it was never removed) so if I bought it and went to the DMV it would show as being a C30 ton truck. Plus I've used Hagerty for insurance and they want quite a few pictures of the vehicle before they will quote a price for the value you requested. So, what appears to be a C10 but the vin# will be a C30, will that throw a red flag???? Or if in few years I decide to sell it is that going to be a problem??? Just wondering if you guys have ran into this or maybe some advice, thanks
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Cab Swap/Vin # Question

If it's already titled and it's a clear title, then it shouldn't be a problem. I can only speak for the state I live in. When a vehicle is sold, the seller signs the title and the buyer submits that to the DMV. A new title is issued in the new owner's name. It's that easy. If you are concerned though, contact your local DMV.
Rickysnickers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
jeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
If it's already titled and it's a clear title, then it shouldn't be a problem. I can only speak for the state I live in. When a vehicle is sold, the seller signs the title and the buyer submits that to the DMV. A new title is issued in the new owner's name. It's that easy. If you are concerned though, contact your local DMV.
I agree, I wish I would have called the DMV today... I just wonder if I bought it and sent pictures in to Hagerty insurance if they would see what appears to be a C10 but the vin # is not?
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

Old 10-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #4
Rickysnickers

I would think they would go along with what the title says. If it's OK with the DMV, then I wouldn't think it would be an issue with your insurance.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:50 AM   #5
67swb72klb

The VIN does not match the frame that may be a problem with the state
Old 10-28-2017, 05:24 AM   #6
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I would think they would go along with what the title says. If it's OK with the DMV, then I wouldn't think it would be an issue with your insurance.
I had a Toyota pickup that the previous owner installed a cap onto and then titled as a suburban instead of as a pickup. When I got the truck the cap was gone and I changed it back to a pickup on the registration form. No special inspection of the vehicle needed, nobody ever batted an eye, just a matter of which box was checked on the registration form. I asked insurance agent about it when I handed them the old suburban title, all they cared about was the VIN. Nobody is going to care that the VIN ultimately resolves to a C30 instead of C10.

Hagerty wants pictures to verify the condition of the vehicle and that it somewhat matches the value you want to insure it for. They gave my father a little bit of a hard time with his Camaro because it was in primer when he first insured it and (if I remember correctly) they didn’t agree with the value he wanted to insure it for.

Last edited by Overdriven; 10-28-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Jcfcamaro

In Missouri when you buy an out of state vehicle you have to do a ID/OD on it. If the Vin doesn't match the title your going to have problems . If the Vin does match then your fine.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My 68 GMC K20/2500 is a 68 GMC 2 wheel drive cab sitting on a 68 Chevy 4 wheel drive chassis with all 72 suspension. Its titled as the GMC and my insurance company didn't care ... Farmers. I think it varies state to state. But I would definitely be sure to figure it all out like you are doing. Id hate to have a claim and then have the insurance company wiggle out of paying because of paper work on your end.

My truck isn't officially for sale, but two times now I have had actual serious offers from people (money talks lol) Both from Canada. I have title to the cab (how its registered) and I have the title that belongs to the chassis. Bases are covered right?

Both looked into bringing it in to Canada. Both said it could be done, but they were still worried about spending a chunk of change and having something go upside down. I do have the "means" to make everything match for them, but that made them nervous too haha.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
In Missouri when you buy an out of state vehicle you have to do a ID/OD on it. If the Vin doesn't match the title your going to have problems . If the Vin does match then your fine.
What I meant to say was if the title vin matches the cab vin plate your fine.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
jeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
What I meant to say was if the title vin matches the cab vin plate your fine.
The title matches the vin on the truck cab which is good but the frame has a different #
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #11
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
The title matches the vin on the truck cab which is good but the frame has a different #
Posted via Mobile Device
Hopefully someone from your State will chime in on this matter. In Missouri I've bought a lot of cars and trucks out of state and I just call the Sheriff's office and they send a deputy out to fill out the ID/OD forum that the DMV requires. Never once have they looked at the frame stamp vin, but your State may be different.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
ho70

Not many places check to see if the frame matches the cab vin. I think your problem would be with hagerty-they are pretty sticklers when insuring vehicles, rightly so. Insure it with someone else. Also, if you start calling around to the DMV, keep it simple-no details as your gonna red flag your purchase.
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #13
jeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho70 View Post
Not many places check to see if the frame matches the cab vin. I think your problem would be with hagerty-they are pretty sticklers when insuring vehicles, rightly so. Insure it with someone else. Also, if you start calling around to the DMV, keep it simple-no details as your gonna red flag your purchase.
Yeah, the DMV in our state is pretty much show them the title and leave with a set of plates.... I did call Hagerty today and they said if the title matches the vin plate on the truck it be no problem. They understand most classics are pieced together, at least that's what I got from the rep I talked to today. We will see what happens, I'll call the guy with the truck tomorrow and try to negotiate a price
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

Old 03-31-2018, 02:19 AM   #14
Groovy75

Smile Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls ! Re: Cab Swap/Vin # Question

I'm a new girl on the block here, needing some guidance.
I'm considering buying a 1975 Chevy truck, with a late 1980's cab on it.
The title matches the frame, but the cab doesn't... It's still being determined
whether the cab has NO VIN or a non matching VIN. There is no chain of ownership
paper work for the cab.
This would be an out of state transaction, and here's the kicker... I'll be registering
it in The Peoples Republic of CA.
Does anyone foresee any issues, or have any advice for me?
Groovy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:47 AM   #15
EVRLET

I just insured my sons C10 with Hagerty. It has a C25 GMC cab/VIN on a C10 shortbed frame. So it’s insured as a C25. No big deal. They didn’t ask for proof of VINs between the C25 and C10. My title is for a C25 truck It’s sitting on full Porterbuilt and insured for $40k...no issues from Hagerty.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #16
Rickysnickers

Re: Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls ! Re: Cab Swap/Vin # Question

Yes, lots of issues!!!! I would steer clear if I were you and find another truck. Sounds very dubious. If you buy it and are lucky enough to eventually get it registered and then the DMV finds out it's stolen, the truck will be impounded and you will be out the money you paid for it. The other thing that would concern me is this is an out of state transaction, so a lot of bad things can happen to you. I'd refer to my second sentence. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy75 View Post
whether the cab has NO VIN or a non matching VIN. There is no chain of ownership
paper work for the cab.
This would be an out of state transaction, and here's the kicker... I'll be registering
Old 04-03-2018, 02:33 AM   #17
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I be looking at Grundy for ins Haggerty has to many BS rules to follow go on Craigslist guy in New England USA has them dazy ribits for 50.00 a set of 2 drill the 2 out put the 2 new ones in from your truck Most police departments know your going to pull the vintage anyways
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #18
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy75 View Post
paper work for the cab.
The advice you seek is: Run, don’t walk, away from this truck.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #19
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post

CA has 1975 and older smog exempt? Someone may have done something funky to avoid having their truck smog checked. WAY too many square bodies out there to screw with one that funky, especially in your state.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #20
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Ditto. If it were already registered here, no biggie. Bringing it in from out of state? Noooooo way.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:44 AM   #21
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Hay LED Not sure if you know this But There is a place making full on Car body's for the 1967-69 camro's that do not have Vin plates.Most of the CHP from my state and a few body shops I've worked for that did countless work for Countless INS company's.Did not have a problem swapping cabs and putting in new dazy ribits.

Now I talked to a controller for the high way safety board and They understand that most custom shop will remove the Vin to paint a car for a collector.

But getting back to the 1967--69 camaro body's they don't come with VIN TAGS i hear of a company up in Canada that is trying to get the rights to reproduce are chevy cab's and they don't have VIN TAGS.

I know of a few states that say if you have to much cancer showing they can band it from driving on the road for safety reasons and a Eyesore.So if the paper work checks out with the plates and the Vin Tag Most police departments wont hassle you.

I knew of 1 INS body shop that when they had a Bent Frame come in and it was not worth saving they would buy one from the dismantling yard grind off the old serial number and restamp a the factory one back in Place.

But most of the time they would send a letter to the DMV and list another frame serial number to there records.To much paper work.

Sonow days when we have a cab that was a 1 ton and the cab is in spotless shape Hell ya i'm swapping VIN TAGS

Ask any of these guys if they spend 4000.00 on body work to a rusted out factory cab on there truck or buy another cab for 500 to 1000.00 I bet they all go my way and SO many do
Old 04-04-2018, 03:57 AM   #22
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Hay red neck in 1980 they had a smog check for are trucks back to 1966 it was just a visual to make sure the air pump was on and working with all the smog tubes and the Air cleaner no dyno's at this time.

Now days most guy try to go under the rul and find a 1975 and below truck cus the smog standards have been raised pass when it was new.CA is a BS state for smog its all about money not keeping the air clean.

So ya we have a lot of crazy people selling a lot of crazy crap here But nothing like you guys when you guy have floods and you car makes it out to Calif

with this car only has 17,000 miles on it and there nothing wrong with it But they do forget to tall you it was under water for a 1day to 1 week No are state dose not do that kinda crap.

Seen way to many car's show up here in Calif that should of been ripped apart or crushed at the state that got flooded.

People call my state a Joke Yes it is and i'm getting out of here
Old 04-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #23
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
Sonow days when we have a cab that was a 1 ton and the cab is in spotless shape Hell ya i'm swapping VIN TAGS
I hope you do not get caught, because that is illegal.