The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2018, 11:32 PM   #476
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

A friend of mine helped me work on the truck this evening, and we made progress in some areas and not so much in others.

Took the wheels and drums off. We were leaving the brakes till last, and we never got to it. It was 96 degrees and crazy humid today. Had to call it a day eventually.

Got the bed off the frame Saturday night.

The reinforcement strip looks like crap. Do I need to replace this? Is it that important?

Had to cut the spring out. Then managed to get the lower bolt out with a lot of cutting and grinding.

The upper bolt is more of a problem. Tried to use an air chisel on it, not much luck. Going to try a long Sawzall blade next.

Managed to remove the track bar. There was no metal sleeve on the lower part of the track bar. It was either stuck on the bolt, or there is no metal sleeve on the lower one. Does this pic of the lower bolt look right? Is the sleeve stuck on it or is it supposed to be like that?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #477
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
Managed to remove the track bar. There was no metal sleeve on the lower part of the track bar. It was either stuck on the bolt, or there is no metal sleeve on the lower one. Does this pic of the lower bolt look right? Is the sleeve stuck on it or is it supposed to be like that?
Do you plan on replacing the stock trac bar with an aftermarket part, if so I recommend the CPP deluxe bent bar, I have one and it works very well and even clears the thickest aftermarket covers.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:11 PM   #478
DD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Do you plan on replacing the stock trac bar with an aftermarket part, if so I recommend the CPP deluxe bent bar, I have one and it works very well and even clears the thickest aftermarket covers.
I was planning on replacing the bushings, even bought new bushings from Rock Auto. Replacing it has crossed my mind. Do you think I am better off just replacing it? The bushings were $16.99 with shipping from Rock Auto. Not worth returning, but not a horrible loss if I decided to replace the bar instead.

Edit: I just googled the bent bar - looks like it bolts into the U-bolt on the axle; Getting that U-bolt off would be a nightmare. That's why I returned the shock relocation kit.

Last edited by DD1; 07-02-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:07 AM   #479
Xeen

Eh the U-bolts aren't nearly as bad as you might imagine, all you need to do is preorder new ones then cut the old ones off.

You shouldn't have any trouble selling the bushings.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #480
DD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Eh the U-bolts aren't nearly as bad as you might imagine, all you need to do is preorder new ones then cut the old ones off.

You shouldn't have any trouble selling the bushings.
I am going to keep replacing the bar as a last option. I am going to try and remove the old bushings first.

If I remove the U-bolt, then I might as well have kept the shock relocaters and used the coil-over shocks. The U-bolt was the main reason I returned the relocaters and went with different shocks. If removing the bushings ends up being a royal PITA, then I will replace the bar with the one you suggested.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #481
DD1

Hurt my finger last Monday, ironically not on the truck but cleaning up something in the house. It's bad enough to keep me from working on the truck, but I was able to spend a few minutes today and get the remnants of the old spring and retainer off.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to clean it up and attach the new spring/shock.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #482
DD1

Made some progress today.

- Took apart the R/S drum brake assembly. I had to cut the brake line since it was frozen into the cylinder. Need to order new brake lines or make my own depending on the cost. Also need to get replacement screws at HD for the wheel cylinders.

EDIT: I decided I will order a replacement brake line kit from Inline Tubing, and the extra rubber parts from Rock Auto. Add this to my previous list of things I replaced that shows I should have bought a running truck.

- Cleaned up the trailing arm and the area where the spring is mounted; painted it with some left over Chassis Saver.

- Installed the spring and the new shock on the R/S.

- Removed the bushings from the Track Bar.

After this I was pretty much done and called it a day.

Cleaned up and painted the trailing arm, new retainer cups, and mounting pad for the spring on the frame.

Got the sleeve out of the track bar bushing. I used a hole saw to drill out most of the rubber, then used a socket and hammer with the end in a table vice to bang it out.

Is this frame rail supposed to have those indentations or is this one damaged?

Can I replace this frame rail with a piece of steel bar? I don't see why it would need to be exactly the same size and shape of the original?

Last edited by DD1; 07-08-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #483
DD1

I got the old sleeve off the lower track bar bolt. Followed the advice of someone on the forum and used heat and a pipe wrench to force it off. Had to use a large pipe over the pipe wrench for leverage to "persuade" it to come off.

Reposting the pic to show what I am talking about.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #484
DD1

Quick Update:

Took over a day to get the first spring off. Just took off the 2nd spring in less than an hour. Just chopped everything off. Cut the springs, Bent up the retainer enough to get the last piece of spring out. Used a Sawzall to cut the bolt on the top, and a grinder to cut the bolt on the bottom.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #485
DD1

Today I cleaned up the Trailing Arm and spring pad and made it ready to paint with Chassis Saver. The Spring Pad has a rust hole in it; can't find a replacement so I might try to remove it, repair the hole, and bolt it back in place.

I ordered replacement brake lines from Inline Tubes. They have mixed reviews on this forum, but they had the best price I could find. A little nervous about buying from them, but hopefully it will work out. Ordered rubber brake hoses from Rock Auto.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #486
crakarjax

Re: replacing frame rail, if it's the one I think it is it's for hanging the spare tire and you can just remove and not replace it.

The other one certainly is damaged. In fact, that rust has damaged pretty much your whole frame
Old 07-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #487
DD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Re: replacing frame rail, if it's the one I think it is it's for hanging the spare tire and you can just remove and not replace it.

The other one certainly is damaged. In fact, that rust has damaged pretty much your whole frame
Thanks for the info.

The frame looks worse than it is. It does have a lot of rust, but it's actually pretty solid.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #488
mattfranklin

I grew up in the rust belt. Such a huge challenge dealing with frozen nuts and bolts and bubbly paint and missing metal. I can totally sympathize.

And I'm so happy to be in California now. ;-)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #489
crakarjax

Yep I have a rust belt 68 Chevelle, I think my plan is to either buy a new chassis or make a tubular one from scratch!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #490
DD1

Quote:
Yep I have a rust belt 68 Chevelle, I think my plan is to either buy a new chassis or make a tubular one from scratch!
If I had to buy a new chassis, then I pretty much should have bought a different truck, not that I don't already think I got suckered when I bought it. I certainly did not know what I was doing or what I should have been looking for, and I paid way too much for it. I have already replaced almost everything around the frame.

I am impressed that you are considering building your own frame. That takes way more skill, time, and tools than I have. Especially the skill part.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #491
crakarjax

Quote:
If I had to buy a new chassis, then I pretty much should have bought a different truck, not that I don't already think I got suckered when I bought it. I certainly did not know what I was doing or what I should have been looking for, and I paid way too much for it. I have already replaced almost everything around the frame.

I am impressed that you are considering building your own frame. That takes way more skill, time, and tools than I have. Especially the skill part.
I got into the same situation with my Chevelle, just didn't have any experience and didn't know what to look for.

TBH though, after tearing apart the frame on my truck I don't think building one would be that hard! There are only about 14 mounting points for the body to worry about, and the measurements are all out there. I'd probably use a cheap mustang II crossmember for the front and build around that.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:31 PM   #492
DD1

Made some more progress this weekend. Did not get to everything I wanted to, but that's pretty much the way it goes. I have not posted pics in a while because I went to CA for work and let my phone in the rental car. Got it back on Tuesday, and of course it started acting up a few days later. Also been distracted by some work on my regular car.

Let's start with the brakes. I received the brake line kit from Inline Tube. I was concerned about ordering from them since they have mixed reviews on this forum. My only complaint is that the box came with a single piece of paper that had a diagram of the parts and listed what it was for. The print was so faded, it was completely illegible. Fortunately I noticed this before they closed on Friday and got them to email me a copy. No instructions, no invoice, no catalog, nothing.

I was a bit confused about the 11th brake line in my 10-piece set (top right line in image). I eventually figured out that the extra line is for a long bed and the "shorter" line is for a short bed (top left). Again, instructions would have helped - the diagram they sent did not mention the long bed brake line.

So far I have installed the rear axle brake lines, the rubber center hose (from Rock Auto), and the rear to front line. I removed all of the lines in the front of the truck and matched them to the parts from Inline. I could have finished it, but I want to clean the area where the line clamp to the frame and front end, and I was a bit too lazy for that.

I also need to get a tee for the brake line where it splits between the front brakes and the master cylinder.

Had trouble getting the rear brake center line out of the frame. I used a hammer and screwdriver to pry the clip up and get some room, then I CAREFULLY cut the line with a Sawzall.

I wasted A LOT of time on the drum brake hardware. It's been over 10 years since I have done drum brakes, and I remember why I hate them. After taking a break from it, I did find a couple of useful things.

I found this link on one of the posts on this forum that gives a step-by-step instructions on how to replace the drum brakes for this truck. Posting it here in case anyone needs it and for my own reference. http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake

Next, I realized that the hardware kit I got from Advance Auto did not have the 3 springs for the Self Adjuster. Unfortunately 1 of the 3 springs needed to be replaced. I purchased the Self Adjuster Hardware kit from Rock Auto, which has 2 of the 3 springs including the one I need.

Compared the old springs and parts to the new ones in the kit. It was missing the 3 in the bottom, which I realize don't usually come in hardware kits. Fortunately the rectangular spring is good, because I was not able to find it anywhere.

I mentioned before that the shock plate has a hole in it. Here is a pic of that. I have to figure out what to do about this. It's holding up the shock and spring from being installed.

I did some other odds and ends. Cleaned up the brackets for the brake lines, and the drum brake parts that will be reused. Sandblasted the master cylinder, prop valve, and track bar. And I FINALLY installed a light in the blasting cabinet! Vacuum system is next... sometime.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:33 PM   #493
DD1

I found the rectangle squiggly spring on Rock Auto. Someone posted the part number on the forum and I was able to find it. I wish I had done that yesterday when I placed an order with Rock Auto, BUT even with shipping it's still cheaper than buying it anywhere else. They are sending it 1st Class Mail; I hope I get it by Saturday.

In case anyone needs the rectangular spring: RAYBESTOS H1338
Old 07-23-2018, 11:27 PM   #494
crakarjax

Where does that spring go? I completely rebuilt my rear drums and don't recall coming across them.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #495
DD1

Quote:
Where does that spring go? I completely rebuilt my rear drums and don't recall coming across them.
It goes on the strut. http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake

I don't know if it's the same for all year trucks, but it's on the 71.

Here it is on my brakes:

Here is the image with all the parts from the link above.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #496
mattfranklin

Nicely detailed postings. Definitely taking notes on your good work here. Mine's not that far along, but I hope to be looking at my rear brakes this fall.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #497
DD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
Nicely detailed postings. Definitely taking notes on your good work here. Mine's not that far along, but I hope to be looking at my rear brakes this fall.
Thanks, Matt! It's nice to be at a point where I can be of help to others. I am trying to use this thread as a record or scrapbook of sorts of my experience building this POS, and if it helps someone else along the way, that's great.

When are we going to see some more updates on your progress?
Old 07-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #498
DD1

Some good news for a change. I found a shop in Canada that sells the Spring Mount Plates and the rear cross-member that I need as a new replacement part. The pricing was not that bad either considering that the spring mount plates were on sale, and their prices were quoted in CDN dollars; with the conversion to USD it worked out pretty well.

Looking forward to getting them and getting the wheels back on the truck. Got all the brake parts except the rectangular spring (arrives Saturday). Gotta go to Advance Auto and get the brake line connectors I need, and I can hopefully get the brake lines, parking brake line, and drum brakes done this weekend.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #499
swamp rat

Quote:
Some good news for a change. I found a shop in Canada that sells the Spring Mount Plates and the rear cross-member that I need as a new replacement part. The pricing was not that bad either considering that the spring mount plates were on sale, and their prices were quoted in CDN dollars; with the conversion to USD it worked out pretty well.

Looking forward to getting them and getting the wheels back on the truck. Got all the brake parts except the rectangular spring (arrives Saturday). Gotta go to Advance Auto and get the brake line connectors I need, and I can hopefully get the brake lines, parking brake line, and drum brakes done this weekend.

Things are looking up in the world!! 😊

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #500
DD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Things are looking up in the world!! 😊
Hey, let's not push my luck and go that far.

But it is nice to have something work out in my favor for a change. Of course now I have to remove the old parts, which should be "fun."