The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2023, 02:02 PM   #1
Hcb3200

Add Thread Start date to forum columns.

Add Thread Start date to forum columns.

I too got hooked into the older post and thought about responding got myself caught a few times.
Anyway to add Thread Created date next to Last Post date column. That way we have a easy way to see how old a thread is.

Guess is this for main forum moderators or web site guys.
Attached Images

Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:21 PM   #2
damnyankee36

Re: Add Thread Start date to forum columns.

I just look at the date in the "Last Post" column. That's more important than when the thread was started. A thread can last for years.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:56 PM   #3
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
I just look at the date in the "Last Post" column. That's more important than when the thread was started. A thread can last for years.
That's a good idea.

Still unless it is one of the continuing threads like the post your Craigslist find or an ongoing discussion it is best to at least scroll though a complete thread before posting an answer.

Sometimes the real guilty party is Google Search in that it brings up a thread that has been dead for years and is a pretty insignificant thread to begin with but someone finds it and tosses out a comment. On the HAMB that happens quite a bit and it is usually a new person who is a one time poster who joins, posts their opinion and is never seen on the board again.

You might see that here with some that joined to post one comment and never got on the board again.

The issue here is more likely holiday or weather boredom as old threads seem to get dug up more on holiday weekends than most any other time.

Still speaking for myself and most likely the others who give regular solid answers to questions on here I have to believe that as a group we would rather see the person asking start their own new thread on the subject rather than tack the question on page three or four of a long dead thread. That gets the poster the right answer and it is their thread that they can find far more easily to see if anyone has given and answer.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:00 PM   #4
Rickysnickers

As a moderator, I cannot add what you are asking for. Only the owners, Liz or Josh, can do those changes, at least to my knowledge.

"Still speaking for myself and most likely the others who give regular solid answers to questions on here I have to believe that as a group we would rather see the person asking start their own new thread on the subject rather than tack the question on page three or four of a long dead thread. That gets the poster the right answer and it is their thread that they can find far more easily to see if anyone has given and answer."

Yes, this is absolutely sound advice!!!
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:41 PM   #5
1project2many

Quote:
As a moderator, I cannot add what you are asking for. Only the owners, Liz or Josh, can do those changes, at least to my knowledge.
Are you able to move posts into a new thread? If there's a question posted to an old thread that's only a little related it could be moved to a new thread with a link back to the old thread if it helps folks to have a reference.

If a comment is posted that brings a thread back for no real reason could the thread be locked for a week or so?
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote