The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
als70chevy4x4

what will it be worth?

I made an offer on a partially restored truck today.It is a 1970 K-20.He started 25 + years ago and has lost interest.The quality of the work is second to none.Every nut and bolt is new.350/turbo 350 setup.....both rebuilt.The frame has been block sanded and painted....nicer than new.He has found every option that could possibly be put on this truck .....front and rear tow hooks,cab lights,am/fm,cruise control,speed warning,tilt,tach,cargo light,shoulder seat belts,rear slider,air conditioning,tool box in box side.All gm parts nos including grill still in gm box...upper/lower trim.truck is assembled with cab painted hugger orange/white....interior is in and assembled.front clip needs to be painted and box assembled and painted as well.....comes with all parts needed to finish except exhaust and tires and carpet.He has over 25K in receipts from 20+ years ago.I realize pictures would be nice but pic ture a Barrett Jackson truck as described.I made him an offer close to what he has into it.My question is what is this truck worth when done.....and as in the condition described.Thanks in advance for any thoughts
als70chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:17 AM   #2
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: what will it be worth?

i would say at least 45-50K when finished. nice list of options you listed too. sounds like an awesome truck.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #3
ho70

Re: what will it be worth?

I would agree, but trucks like that don't sell right away. Also, I would think exhaust is 1K and tires are another 1K plus maybe 2500 to finish paint. Once all those NOS parts are on they are not nos anymore, they are oem. Also if u are paying CDN funds, then I would think 45k US is finished sell to the right guy worth
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:48 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

It's worth 1/2 of the finished wholesale value at best , It's still an unfinished project truck with a motivated seller who lost interest , Don't ask what it's worth finished ask what it's worth in boxes ,needing paint ,exhaust ,tires etc,etc Any project truck in primer still may need a considerable amount of finish work before you lay the first coat of paint . If you haven't looked lately regular body shops don't take on complete restoration grade paint work and a good restoration shop ain't cheap . Take the stars out of your eyes for what it could be and look at it for what it really is a project truck .The idea is to be in it finished at BELOW wholesale not to be in it finished at full retail value .

I'd be willing to bet he got sticker shock when he tried to find someone to paint and finish it and they told him $15,000.00 ?

If it was going to be cheap and easy to finish (like all sellers say) why isn't he doing it and sell it for all the money ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
52napco

Biggest factor for most is .......ck or ce vin ???? If it's a 2wd body on a 4x4 frame it kills the value. A lot of states and probably province's in Canada do pre registration inspections and there are horror stories about frame Vins not matching . Also some of the options he has were not available in 1970 like tilt and am/fm.
At the end of the day it's going to be a put together truck which to most will be worth half of what a legit truck with all these options listed on the original spid with a legit build sheet in the seat frame is worth... will never be a 40k truck imo

Post pics too.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Grumpy, it sounds to me like only the front clip and bed aren't painted. It's an almost done project with most extensive and expensive stuff done. I think he is good on what it's worth now and is just wondering what the final product will be worth to decide if the initial expense is worth it.

Abandoned projects, as a rule, are worth fifty cents on a dollar. But there are ones of such high quality, rarity, and/or so close to done that call for a closer to dollar for dollar. I'd say look at the high end trucks and what they bring. This one sounds like it is (will be) of that caliber.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-26-2017 at 10:39 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

Maybe ?

Old 11-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
harpo231

Just my 2cents from searching for K10 , these trucks will be priced 25-45k no matter if original{allegedly}or upgraded.
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #9
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
Just my 2cents from searching for K10 , these trucks will be priced 25-45k no matter if original{allegedly}or upgraded.
Yep. These trucks sell for $$$ whether original or built. One swb 4x4 posted up here had a suburban VIN plate and sold for almost $40K. Board member chipflyer can make you a spid with all the options you want to add. Every Chevelle and Camaro on the planet is an SS now, pretty soon every truck will be the equivalent

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
harpo231

harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
Coley

An unfinished project truck is always a problem in terms of its value and like many others here, I don't overly care how much has been spent on boxed, inventoried parts over time or how much elbow grease and man hours are into sanding, prepping and installing stuff...that is the owners problem and that was his personal choice at the time.
Its an unfinished, non driving truck...and that is the start point.
If it was 'easy to finish'....he would finish it and collect on it....and lets face it, once its apart..... it isn't easy to finish.

As well, what it is worth in the U.S vs. what it is worth in Canada are two different things as well.
Canadians have less 'disposable income' for this kind of thing vs. Americans in my opinion....thus making big ticket items, like this kind of indulgence, a harder sell.
No offence to my fellow Canadians.

I wouldn't pay more than $20K for the truck....certainly without pics.
If it was assembled and driving with a few periferals outstanding on it, well that is a different story....but there are still 100's of hours to go on an unassembled truck...and that is a lot of money yet to be spent even if you value your hobby time at even $15-20/hr....which is a lot lower than what a restorer would charge.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but without pics...that would be where I stand.

My two bits,
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
weq92f

It'll be worth what someone will pay at the time it goes up for sale! Pictures will help alot around here. Post em up!!!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by als70chevy4x4 View Post
I made an offer on a partially restored truck today.It is a 1970 K-20.He started 25 + years ago and has lost interest.The quality of the work is second to none.Every nut and bolt is new.350/turbo 350 setup.....both rebuilt.The frame has been block sanded and painted....nicer than new.He has found every option that could possibly be put on this truck .....front and rear tow hooks,cab lights,am/fm,cruise control,speed warning,tilt,tach,cargo light,shoulder seat belts,rear slider,air conditioning,tool box in box side.All gm parts nos including grill still in gm box...upper/lower trim.truck is assembled with cab painted hugger orange/white....interior is in and assembled.front clip needs to be painted and box assembled and painted as well.....comes with all parts needed to finish except exhaust and tires and carpet.He has over 25K in receipts from 20+ years ago.I realize pictures would be nice but pic ture a Barrett Jackson truck as described.I made him an offer close to what he has into it.My question is what is this truck worth when done.....and as in the condition described.Thanks in advance for any thoughts

How much is to the original build sheet? Everything GM parts less those bolts (within reason)? If truck original & super, I'm guessing 40K when finished.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
als70chevy4x4

One of my concerns was even tho it is a true K-20 does adding options not on the SPID decrease the value?The seller does not need the money...he realizes that he just isnt going to get to it anytime soon if ever.That being said I think budget wise its going to take around another 10K to finish it.I offered 15K and pretty sure he is stuck on 20K.As much as I know what these trucks are worth I have a hard time spending that on a project.He didnt want me taking pics because even tho it had been under a truck cover he had been doing woodworking in the same area and it was covered in fine dust.Waiting for him to make me a counter offer
als70chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
Coley

well....you aren't too far apart right now.
You offered $15K....he wants $20k.....so what where is 'the deal line'?.....$17,000k?....or $18,000k and he trailers it to your place? or?
This has a lot to do with you too and where you are willing to go price wise.

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 11-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #16
72 tigger

My observation has been that if a truck is well 'put together', it will bring big $ even if factory options that the truck didn't come with have been added. I think the die hards want the truck rebuilt as it was born, but a lot of guys don't mind having coveted options added (even if they didn't offer them in '70). If you have Chip make a SPID to match your options, most guys won't question it. I hope you get the truck, it sounds very nice
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #17
Grumpy old man

Sorry , I guess I missed that it's a Canadian truck eh?

What's $20,00.00 in real American money ?
Old 11-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #18
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Sorry , I guess I missed that it's a Canadian truck eh?

What's $20,00.00 in real American money ?
lol....its probably about $25K in 'real' Canadian money....

Remember, we have 1/10th your population...so having 78% of the value of U.S. dollar with 1/10th the population...isn't all that bad, lol.

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 11-27-2017, 01:09 AM   #19
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by als70chevy4x4 View Post
One of my concerns was even tho it is a true K-20 does adding options not on the SPID decrease the value?The seller does not need the money...he realizes that he just isnt going to get to it anytime soon if ever.That being said I think budget wise its going to take around another 10K to finish it.I offered 15K and pretty sure he is stuck on 20K.As much as I know what these trucks are worth I have a hard time spending that on a project.He didnt want me taking pics because even tho it had been under a truck cover he had been doing woodworking in the same area and it was covered in fine dust.Waiting for him to make me a counter offer

IMO, it doesn't lose value, but doesn't increase it a lot either. If it were to the SPID then yeah, it would be more valuable. Just from what you describe, you'd do well at 15K. If you want it badly enough, meet him halfway as mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
My observation has been that if a truck is well 'put together', it will bring big $ even if factory options that the truck didn't come with have been added. I think the die hards want the truck rebuilt as it was born, but a lot of guys don't mind having coveted options added (even if they didn't offer them in '70). If you have Chip make a SPID to match your options, most guys won't question it. I hope you get the truck, it sounds very nice
Point taken on add-ons. For example, moldings, and disc brakes on a 70 would add value. As for a fabricated SPID, I'll pass. I had one made, duplicate the old one, and it won't quite match either. Doing some upgrades myself.............HA!
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-27-2017 at 01:18 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote