The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #26
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Aluminum radiator

For those who may be interested here is a link to a lengthy post on this subject.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Cooling/
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #27
cardude

My new ECP unit arrives today and I was wondering what if anything can be done to keep it from corroding on the outside? Living out on the coast, aluminum gets looking pretty jenky pretty quick! My carb, trans case, alternator, etc all have started getting that white speckled corrosion on 'um after only 6 months on the road. Sucks!
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:53 AM   #28
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
My new ECP unit arrives today and I was wondering what if anything can be done to keep it from corroding on the outside? Living out on the coast, aluminum gets looking pretty jenky pretty quick! My carb, trans case, alternator, etc all have started getting that white speckled corrosion on 'um after only 6 months on the road. Sucks!
Try a can of Nyalic, but I wouldn’t use it on the cooling fins. I’ve used it for many years with great results. https://www.nyalic.com/
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Z10; 03-29-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #29
cardude

Cool! I'll look it up. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #30
Steve Cole

Quote:

If you would, post pics of weld quality, fittment, and give your overall impression of the quality of the radiator. I am strongly leaning towards buying one of those radiators but I have never seen an actual review of them here so that would be very helpful to those considering buying one. Thanks!”
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #31
cardude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
If you would, post pics of weld quality, fittment, and give your overall impression of the quality of the radiator. I am strongly leaning towards buying one of those radiators but I have never seen an actual review of them here so that would be very helpful to those considering buying one. Thanks!”
Arrived yesterday, in a nice strong box, well packed in styrofoam. Looking Good! Polished up real nice and the welds look pretty good. Definitely hand welded, but whoever did it has a much steadier hand than me! Ordered the Nyalic that Z10 suggested so it'll be awhile before I get to installing it.

I took a handfull of shots of the weld seams, in my photo albums.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #32
Steve Cole

Where are your photo albums located?
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:38 AM   #33
cardude

Wink Re: Aluminum radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Where are your photo albums located?
Photo albums are on user's profile page.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:50 PM   #34
dmjlambert

That is the radiator I put in. I don't know about corrosion on the outside, I would be interested to know also. For corrosion on the inside I wrote an email to ECP a while back and asked them if the stuff I read on the internet about sacrificial anodes is a real thing, and they wrote back and said yes and suggested I get one. I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GR09S4/
I don't know what it should look like after being in the truck for a year. I went and pulled it out just now and this is what it looks like. I don't know if this shows the sacrifice is happening. Poor picture, sorry about that. I was trying to take a picture with one hand and plugging the hole with my finger and making a mess. The anode has a brown coat of stuff. I run 2/3 coolant and 1/3 water, and have a coolant reservoir, so I probably don't have a very corrosive environment in there. Do you plan to use a sacrificial anode?
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:01 PM   #35
cardude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
That is the radiator I put in. I don't know about corrosion on the outside, I would be interested to know also. For corrosion on the inside I wrote an email to ECP a while back and asked them if the stuff I read on the internet about sacrificial anodes is a real thing, and they wrote back and said yes and suggested I get one. I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GR09S4/
I don't know what it should look like after being in the truck for a year. I went and pulled it out just now and this is what it looks like. I don't know if this shows the sacrifice is happening. Poor picture, sorry about that. I was trying to take a picture with one hand and plugging the hole with my finger and making a mess. The anode has a brown coat of stuff. I run 2/3 coolant and 1/3 water, and have a coolant reservoir, so I probably don't have a very corrosive environment in there. Do you plan to use a sacrificial anode?
Still researching that part! I'm running 50/50. Was hoping there's some sort of additive that can be added periodically.

How 'bout it - what's everybody else doing as far as interior corrosion prevention with an aluminum radiator?
Old 03-31-2018, 09:15 PM   #36
harpo231

Zinc Anode Drain Plug... for internal corrosion
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:10 PM   #37
dmjlambert

"additive that can be added periodically" -- that would be any high quality coolant such as Prestone, it has corrosion inhibitors that wear out after 2 years. I added that zinc rod drain plug just as an extra measure. One thing I've noticed with my high concentration of coolant is the level of coolant in the coolant reservoir does not change at all with the engine hot or cold. No boiling, no expansion, and all the air is burped out of the main system.
I think it would be good to hear if anybody is doing anything to reduce external corrosion, other than painting the whole thing including the fins.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 03-31-2018 at 11:58 PM. Reason: ...if anybody is doing anything to reduce external corrosion
Old 03-31-2018, 11:33 PM   #38
cardude

Quote:
"additive that can be added periodically" -- that would be any high quality coolant such as Prestone, it has corrosion inhibitors that wear out after 2 years. I added that zinc rod drain plug just as an extra measure. One thing I've noticed with my high concentration of coolant is the level of coolant in the coolant reservoir does not change at all with the engine hot or cold. No boiling, no expansion, and all the air is burped out of the main system.
I think it would be good to hear if anybody is going anything to reduce external corrosion, other than painting the whole thing including the fins.
Man, I've been reading on this anode subject and now my head's about to explode! LOTS of opinions!! If you want read some good debate check out this forum thread:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/1046473-preventing-electrolysis-aluminum-radiator.html#/topics/1046473?page=1
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2018, 11:49 PM   #39
dmjlambert

Yes, head explosion effect, I had that, too. Makes me wonder if it's all a bunch of baloney.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #40
Daves70

Back to Rads. I have a Griffin rad in my truck and although it cools my 408 small block ok the fit wasn't as good as it should be. I find that it needs more airflow than a copper rad ie in stopped traffic. The worn out, plugged up 40 year old 3 core that i had before,cooled it too. I would probably go with a new 3 or 4 core copper rad next time. All the studies in the world can't convince me that aluminum cools better.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #41
harpo231

Quote:
Yes, head explosion effect, I had that, too. Makes me wonder if it's all a bunch of baloney.
Was in cooling tower industry for 35 yrs , We used zinc anode on all watertouch applications.....
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #42
Z10

Here is something else to consider. I've used these on the last couple of builds.
http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/ve...seal-tabs.html
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 04-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #43
cardude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z10 View Post
Here is something else to consider. I've used these on the last couple of builds.
http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/ve...seal-tabs.html
Hey, Z10 - that link hits a dead end!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #44
Z10

Quote:
Hey, Z10 - that link hits a dead end!
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmmm? It's working for me. Try searching this: ACDelco COOLING SYSTEM SEAL TABS
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 04-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #45
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Man, I've been reading on this anode subject and now my head's about to explode! LOTS of opinions!! If you want read some good debate check out this forum thread:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...1046473?page=1
Posted via Mobile Device
It's real. I have worked in the commercial marine industry for decades and there isn't an engine in our fleet that operates without zincs in the cooling system. They come installed from the engine manufacturers and we service them regularly. (Usually on a hours ran schedule) Putting cast iron and brass and copper and aluminum in a stream of moving water causes electrolysis. Additives wear out without warning and you have no protection. I have seen 1/8 thick aluminum housings eaten through from the inside a matter of months. This was on a generator that ran 12 hours day everyday). The more you operate the engine the more protection you need. Daily drivers need to change antifreeze yearly and and zincs are good for peace of mind. Now if you live in the north and have a block heater installed then a zinc is really a must as you have added an other source of electrolysis to the cooling system and it can wear out the coolant additives if there is current leakage when the heater is operating.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote