The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Gav2606

dash wiring help 68 c10 from the uk

Hi. I would like to say hi from the uk. Ive just purchased a 68 c10 pick up. Ive got no dash lights at all. No indicator warning no battery light main beam or general dash lights..any ideas before i rip it all apart..many thanks in advance..
Gav2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
bill3rail

Re: dash wiring help 68 c10 from the uk

Make sure you have a good ground wire!

Please don't ask why I say that. I actually ran a second ground wire to my dash.

Bill
Old 04-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Hi, welcome. We like to see pictures of your truck so we can all chime in about how great it is! Regarding the lights, start simple. Check that bulbs are good, sockets for the bulbs are clean, fuses are good, sockets for the fuses are clean and make good contact, check that connectors are connected. Use a light-up circuit test probe.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:04 AM   #4
Gav2606

Ok i will make a start at that...
Thanks
http://
Gav2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:27 AM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

What part of the UK are you out of it gets frigen cold up there.Yes more grounds the merrier.

I have a good way to put grounds on your trucks with out having to drill holes all over your cab frame and body.New cars have come up with it and its a slick deal

Its the Excessery bolts that has thread on both sides I put 2 on ether side of the cab behind the motor

I put them on the frame I try to put grease or rubber covers over them to protect them from the rain dirt anything that can make this bolt stop being a ground.You can not have enough grounds i have over 20 of them on a truck that i sent up to Oregon cus they gets tones of rain and snow up there.

The guy called me 6 months later asking about the bolts he wanted to know where he could get more.

Any junk yard will have them some are welded in place witch is a wonderful Idea.Mine can be removed and relocated.Plus you can add more then one ground to it.If one is faulting the others will keep it grounded.

Improvement's that new car thinking helps put are trucks over the top.

Plus there easier to work with the nut on the other side never get touched.O(ne guy asked if he could use it both ways in side the cab and out in the engine bay.Sure you can get a longer one.It cleans up most of your ground locations
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:51 AM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Just asking the guy that built the truck did he do a ground up restore on the trucks or was it one he had that he built to just sell.

If you got a stock truck and no upgrades where done to the motor wiring rubber mouths Then these things need to be looked at.

Me I like new re pop wire harnesses from M&H there the leading wire harness maker.They came with all plugs You do not need to cut nothing.Its a plug and play system.As long as you have a factory manual to show you how to take out and reinstall your harness it should take you 1 day but some it takes 3 days.

Up grades in Intake manifold carb exhaust manifolds as in headers or Ram horns HEI or points Most people like full on gauges like oil temp battery instead of the Idiot lights.

My sound advise is replace the factory harness when you buy a used old truck.If its been replaces you will know it.

If not a fire will happen 1 day while your driving.

From replacing your whole harness you will replace all of the peaces it connects to horn relay light switch turn single switch heater switch If you have a working AC factory unit Replace all the Electrical peaces connected to it.

Any thing that your new harness connects to replace it or check to make sure it working condition.

the cost of doing this can cast you upwards to 1300.00.

But trust me if you don't do it a lot of heartache and thought of why is is this happening to me.

We all been there you go cheap you sufferer.Bite the bullet fix it one time enjoy it for a life time

Look at it this way if you ever have to sell it its worth 3 times what the guy that dose not have it done.Here are a few pics to help
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #7
dmjlambert

Gav2606 very pretty truck, nice paint job.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote