The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2023, 04:08 PM   #1
samert111

CPP Trailing arms review.

Last week added a CPP front sway bar and relocated my rear shocks to behind the diff and outside the frame rails, now the truck corners very nicely and the body roll is minimal.

Also, with the rear shocks mounted vertical to the travel of the rear diff the tire hop I was experiencing during spirited driving is non-existent now compared to the stock location with the 4" drop springs.

This week added a set of CPP tubular trailing arms from Summit Racing because my stk arms had some holes rusted in them. Can't really tell a difference in the ride or handling yet but only was able to take a short test ride today. I really like the construction and finish of the CPP arms and the installation was a breeze and the look is very clean.
Attached Images

Last edited by samert111; 04-23-2023 at 04:56 PM.
samert111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:14 PM   #2
Mltmdns

Re: CPP Trailing arms installed this week.

Looks good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mltmdns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:39 PM   #3
MikeB

Have you considered adding a rear sway bar? Those things reduce understeer, and make a noticeable difference in steering response when combined with a front bar.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:09 PM   #4
MySons68C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Have you considered adding a rear sway bar? Those things reduce understeer, and make a noticeable difference in steering response when combined with a front bar.
I want to add a rear sway bar. What is the best bolt on?
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:22 PM   #5
Ekliptix

CPP makes a rear swaybar. I have one but have not installed it yet.

How'd you do the rear shock relocation? Which kit?
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 03:35 PM   #6
samert111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I have but now that I've installed the CPP tubular trailing arms I'm not sure how the rear sway bar would connect to them. I neeed to do some research or call them I guess.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:52 PM   #7
samert111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
How'd you do the rear shock relocation? Which kit?
A little background first.

My truck has been lowered 3" in the rear with CPP lowering springs and the shocks were still in the original mounting locations. The ride was a bit mushy with alot of body roll during cornering and I had significant rear tire hop during spirited launches, so I was looking for something to resolve those issues.

I liked the concept of the No Limit shock relocation kit that moves the rear shocks to behind the rear Diff and outside the frame rails but they still had alot of angle built into that design plus I would have had issues with my exhaust pipes occupying the same area the upper shock mount would be so I did some more research. I found another member here (CC69Rat) started a thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=837041) showing his shocks located almost vertically. However, it looked like his setup still had some mounting angle to his setup and could result in some binding on the upper mount as the rear Diff moved up and down. However, I was still impressed with his concept, and I wanted to try and copy it as much as possible.

I read an article about shock orientation, and it said they are most efficient when mounted vertical, so that's what I did. The lower mount is just like stock with a single bolt and the upper mount is a double shear mount with the upper shock mount rotated 90 degrees to the lower mount. Since mine are mounted exactly vertical to the travel of the rear Diff there is very little deflection front to back and only a little side to side as the Diff moves up and down which is controlled by the rear track bar.

My brackets came from a Summit Racing standard mount shock relocation kit for lowered trucks that I modified significantly to work for what I wanted to do.

The upper mount I cut in half and only used the double shear end with an additional hold drilled to mount to the frame rail. The lower mounts I switched them to the opposite side and rotated them 180 degrees to put the lower shock mounting hole behind the rear Diff. These had a slight angle built into them to accommodate the normal inward angle of the original mounting location, so I had to cut the gusset weld and bend the vertical mounting leg to a perfect 90 degrees and re-welded the gusset gap back up.

What I ended up with is zero tire hop and with the outboard mounting position and much better body roll control in conjunction with the front sway bar I also installed.

I will admit that the ride is a bit harsher in back now but I'm running Monroe Magnum LT shocks which are known to be stiff without a load in the truck. This truck will never see a load in the back so I'm shopping around for some softer riding shocks now. Hopefully my tire hop doesn't return with softer shock valving.
Attached Images

Last edited by samert111; 04-25-2023 at 06:36 PM.