The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2023, 05:23 PM   #1
R.O.B.

Help! I can't install the starter, it hits the flexplate

Back story, I'm converting from 4spd to automatic. I've got a Targetmaster 350, 2 piece rear main seal.

I bought a new mini starter (Amazon China) that is supposed to fit 154 or 168 teeth flexplate. I bought ATP Z-111 flexplate, suppose to be for the 2 piece rear main seal yet have 168 teeth.

As you can see by the picture, I hit the flexplate before I can even get the second bolt in. And I already installed the shims to move the gear drive back.

Is this just a problem with this type of mini starter? Do I have a bad flexplate? Should I shim the flexplate?

Need advice guys.
Attached Images

R.O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:43 PM   #2
425HP409
425hp409

Re: Help! I can't install the starter, it hits the flexplate

Do not shim the flexplate. Have you tried the starter that was with the manual trans? The starter will either fit or it wont, no maneuvering needed.
64 Bel Air Wagon, 400 Small Block
57 Bel Air all original 283 w/Factory Air
77 GMC Sprint, 454/425HP
67 Olds 442, all original
90 ZR1 Corvette
425HP409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:50 PM   #3
R.O.B.

I can't use the old starter, that one bolts to the trans, I need one to bolt to the block
Old 04-26-2023, 06:19 PM   #4
R.O.B.

I think I might have found the problem. Compare the two pics. The one with the blue background is the starter I bought from Amazon. And in the other pic, is a starter of the same design but from Summit. See how much further my gear is protruding from the block compared to the Summit one. I need to put a BIG shim on the block and move the starter back more.

Think this is it?
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2023, 07:11 PM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Looks like it might be in the wrong mounting hole. Try the other hole that will move it away from the block/bellhousing.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:39 PM   #6
ESC

Make sure you have the right starter for your (engine yr/flex plate config).

Be careful not to overtighten those bolts too. no impact tool. I just went thru 4 starters trying to get them to work past 1-2 months before it would start whining cause teeth would start not line up with flexplate anylonger. turns out, the engine block has a hairline crack and would cause the starter to shift after a few weeks. PIA trying to find someone to weld cast iron too..

I ended up buying a Powermaster XS Torque Starters 9526 which i'm able to use three bolts for now.

Good luck..
ESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:57 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

Install the inner bolt first , Just looking at your picture it's mis aligned .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:32 PM   #8
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.B. View Post
Back story, I'm converting from 4spd to automatic. I've got a Targetmaster 350, 2 piece rear main seal.

I bought a new mini starter (Amazon China) that is supposed to fit 154 or 168 teeth flexplate. I bought ATP Z-111 flexplate, suppose to be for the 2 piece rear main seal yet have 168 teeth.

As you can see by the picture, I hit the flexplate before I can even get the second bolt in. And I already installed the shims to move the gear drive back.

Is this just a problem with this type of mini starter? Do I have a bad flexplate? Should I shim the flexplate?

Need advice guys.
I'm not familiar with that particular starter (brand???).. I've never seen one where the gear sticks out that far.. Referencing your above statement in bold --- Maybe you need to add more shims... If it were me, I'd return it as "non-fitting" unit.. Buy from another supplier.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:30 PM   #9
Ironangel

Here's the starter that works, see those holes in a radius? They allow you to clock the gear in or out from the flexplate. Your pic is vague I can't make nothing from it. You may need to clock (rotate) the starter motor on the aluminum mounting plate to gain the correct clearance. What does the front of your starter look like? Some of these mini's dont allow adjustment. Do Not shim the flexplate! Only use shims to fine tune the final .025" of clearance. A paper clip is a good wire gauge to set the proper clearance at the gear teeth. Once you clock the starter and figure which holes to use, you can activate the bendix gear to measure tooth clearance with the clip. Unhook the main power (if you have it connected) and use a jumper wire to the solenoid S terminal to engage the bendix gear. Better pics, and a pic of the front of the starter will be helpful. Or a link to the starter you have? "Cheers" Oops, forgot this, https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10012/10002/-1
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 12:12 AM   #10
R.O.B.

Well, it's not a miss-alignment, I physically can't get both bolts in because the gears hit the flexplate. My starter looks exactly like that Jegs one by the way. I did play around and used some washers as a temporary shim. This moved the gear from the starter .22" back. Starter bolted up just fine, and when I kicked the gear out, the alignment looked really good too. So it looks like a China made issue, and I need to custom make a 1/4 inch shim to "correct" the starter.

Note, I would return it, but I'm past Amazon's return window. So instead of being out $90, I'm going to try and make a shim.
Old 04-27-2023, 03:52 PM   #11
R.O.B.

Just as a double check. Where the starter bolts to, center of those holes to the teeth on my flexplate is .75". Is this normal?
Old 04-27-2023, 05:00 PM   #12
R.O.B.

I also found this post:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=636586

In #12, it says the distance between the back of the block to the teeth should be .470-.477. I measured mine and it's .297-.300

What gives? Correct part number for the flexplate, and installed with the bumps facing out towards the tranny. Defective flexplate maybe? Can someone do some measurements so I can double check everything.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:09 PM   #13
roboticjunky

If it was me, I would order this shim kit. Use the 3 hole shims to back the starter gear up and this will give you the clearance you will need.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chevy...xoCbGEQAvD_BwE

Also don't use the starter bolts in this shim kit since they are knurled starter bolts.
roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:22 PM   #14
R.O.B.

Thanks Robo, but after looking at that other thread, it got me thinking. So I pulled up the reviews on the flexplate I bought from Amazon, and one guy commented that the center was bent almost 1/4" causing the starter to hit it.

My exact problem! So I'm ordering a Pioneer flexplate this time and go from there. I just may have to still do some shims, so who knows. And thanks again for the link.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:26 PM   #15
HO455
Post Whore

It's not a apples to apples as far as the exact same starter but, here is a link to how my switch to a late model GM starter went. I think you may have the same problem I did. You may find you need to shim your starter too.

Scroll down to post 461 and continue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...698377&page=19

I will add that I've never had anything but heartache and misery from cheap starters.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 04-28-2023 at 04:08 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:08 PM   #16
HotWheelsFan

Make sure flex plate is not installed backwards. Flex plate should have a beveled edge in the center and should be visible as to the correct way it needs to be installed.

Not sure if it's possible or not with your flex plate but I have seen this problem before.

I have used Pioneer flex plates, nice products.

Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 06:23 PM   #17
R.O.B.

Update:

I installed a Pioneer flexplate, FRA100, and now my block to ring gear is .38, still not the .47, but better. So now since I only need about .10, I'm going to order the shim kit from Speedway and give that a go.