The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: Lift Cylinder Stuck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
Attach top of cylinder to an engine hoist. Then unbolt the floor flange. Next lift the post out of floor.

The actual cylinder is small. What you're seeing is the post, like a sleeve, around th cylinder. Once that's out then you can go after th cylinder
You can't do better than the voice of experience. Good luck with the process. I have no experience, so I'll say that screw's purpose is.... never mind, get the "real" answer. You don't need any more "internet" answers

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-28-2018 at 05:20 AM. Reason: voice not "vice"
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #27
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Removing that bolt starts the countdown for the auto-destruct sequence.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #28
Dustmaker65

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You can't do better than the vice of experience. Good luck with the process. I have no experience, so I'll say that screw's purpose is.... never mind, get the "real" answer. You don't need any more "internet" answers
Appreciate the help of those that know and those that really know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Removing that bolt starts the countdown for the auto-destruct sequence.
I have not removed it yet(waiting on reply from 68C15) to get the OK... so we are all safe for now.

Had I asked before seeing if my little compressor would lift it, I would not be worrying about lowering or removing it
Old 03-28-2018, 05:23 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

I did start a tell on yourself thread you know . I'm going there to confess "an instance" shortly.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-28-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #30
Dustmaker65

Never told the end of this story...

Son stops by(to go eat of course) and I am standing there looking at this tower of metal poking thru my floor. He asks if I have sprayed WD-40 on it....well of course I did. So he is ready to go eat, so I go to wash up. While I am in the bathroom he squirts DAWN dish soap all the way around the cylinder...

We get back from eating and my shiny post is GONE! Dish soap! No pushing, pulling, jumping...nothing, but DISH SOAP!

Who would of ever thought....
Old 06-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Like pulling a stuck ring off your finger! We all could have figured that out, but I guess we were stuck on the lack of weight being the cause. That Dawn, she sure is a handy gal. Is it really all that different from all the rest? I'm a big user. I have that next to the Fast Orange hand cleaner at my utility sink and I can't tell you when I last used the orange to wash greasy hands. Dawn does the trick. I keep a short bottle with my paint gear for washing brushes. And any time I touch poison ivy I go wash with it within 20 minutes and no itchy itchy bumps. And now I know it's good for lubing a shaft to slide in a hole better!

Tim

Old 06-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #32
Dustmaker65

Quote:
And now I know it's good for lubing a shaft to slide in a hole better!
Just going to say... Dawn may not be OK to use on ALL shafts.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #33
Killer Bee

well, you found the solution before I saw your thread, glad you figured it out..

the friction of the packing and seals in an old hoist that hasn't moved in years is going to be tight..

pressurizing it with air instead of hydraulic fluid furthers the friction without the lubrication of the oil surrounding the packing..

I was looking for some references to post to help you and found this;

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...ad.php?t=45725

PLEASE READ POST #16 before you do anymore experimenting.. and take note of his job title and company..

https://standardus.com/contact_us.html looks to be only a couple of hours from you

my advice would be to locate as much information about the hoist system and call a lift company for assistance..

good luck!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #34
Coley

Smile Re: Lift Cylinder Stuck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustmaker65 View Post
lol.....point noted.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #35
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustmaker65 View Post
Such as...

Tim

Old 06-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #36
Dustmaker65

Quote:
Such as...
LOL.... good try, but I AM NOT going there

Maybe someone else can type it out for ya ...lol
Old 06-26-2018, 05:53 AM   #37
special-K
Special Order

Well ok then. I'll just keep wondering. Glad Dawn was able to help. There's magic in them bottles.

Tim

Old 06-26-2018, 06:26 AM   #38
Killer Bee

wow! I don't post from my experience or dig up references for recognition but I must say I'm a little stunned..

juvenile banter about lubing pole and no mention of a very serious underlying danger in the op's garage..

well, I would at least feel more comfortable knowing he received the warning, whether heeded or not..

I've worked with hoists for decades and written several specs for hoist installation / demo work and quite familiar with them..

I'll leave this from a very reliable and local source in hopes it's taken more serious, good luck with your building..

Quote:
1. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THE LIFT IS NOT CONNECTED TO AN AIR SOURCE!!!! (People have been killed and ceilings have been destroyed while performing the procedure because they still had the lift connected to air while doing this)
Quote:
I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure the lift is disconnected from the air source!!! At the very least, if someone pressurizes the lift while there are any openings, you will have a mess of oil on your hands. Worst case is someone gets severely injured or killed.
Quote:
Frank Woitel
VP Standard Industrial & Automotive Equipment
www.standardus.com
Old 06-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
juvenile banter about lubing pole and no mention of a very serious underlying danger in the op's garage..

...well, I would at least feel more comfortable knowing he received the warning, whether heeded or not..
Did working on hoists for decades kill your ADULT sense of humor? Just a reminder that the average person will not know about a thing that which one who has specialized in that thing for decades will know. Do you really think this info is common knowledge we have ignored yet chose to joke about instead?? I'm shocked you are shocked, and that with as often as you come here and post you never saw the title pertaining to your expertise and were the one to warn.

I am far from juvenile, and I know most of us here are as well. I am a mature responsible adult who has never lost his inner child. That thing so many lost and now wish they had a little piece of before they got lost in the hustle bustle. I consciously maintained this quality, as when I was young I knew I did not want to become what I saw in so many grown ups. I figured as long as I was responsible, put my family first, and was a man of my word no one had a right to criticize how I chose to live my life.

Tim

Old 06-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #40
Killer Bee

do I play on the internet? sure I do, when the work is done.. very healthy sense of humor, keyword healthy..

point is, op returned to his thread after I pointed out some REAL danger he may still not be aware of..

me personally, I would pay attention to that warning and acknowledge it was received, then go back to play..

as for my awareness of his thread three months ago, well, I can't see everything, NOT my job HERE..

for simple comparison, you're averaging 4500 posts per year to my 500, maybe you should have pm'd me?

in reference to the potential hidden energy in large hydraulic cylinders, I had an approx. 18" x 6' cylinder in the shop..

laying on its side, ported a little shop air into the cap end to extend it for inspection..

the red shop towel that was in the rod end port shot up through the aluminum ceiling paneling..

not sure how difficult it is to drive a cotton towel through a piece of sheet aluminum but damn glad no one was in its path..

I've worked with high pressure hydraulic systems upwards of 7200psi frequently in the past..

didn't complete retirement number one and graduate to supervision in my second by ignoring warnings..

I've been touched personally by several deaths in my trade, really hate to see one here that could be prevented..
Old 06-27-2018, 06:20 AM   #41
special-K
Special Order

The joking about lubing shafts and holes came after the fact, after the cylinder lowered safely, BTW. And OP hasn't posted a thing since your warning. You came with that after he came back. Scroll up, you'll see.

I, and I'm sure all the rest, certainly appreciate your warning and will take heed from this point forward. No one is ignoring anything here. I would not have needed to PM you had I known what you have just brought to the thread. I certainly would have been one to do as you did, without the assumptive condescending comments. The obvious fact is, the rest of us who were joking about it did not know such danger existed, so therefore gave no warning. Very simple. I'm sure I know things you don't and I'm happy to share when the opportunity arises. I don't expect to know everything others do, and visa-versa. But, I do know what I know by observation, listening, reading, and contemplation. Thanks for the education. It all makes sense what you say, but honestly never gave the air pressure over hydraulic involved a thought. I don't think I even offered a solution because I don't pretend to know things I have no experience with. And at the opposite end of the spectrum I sit ignorant of things concerning auto lifts, as I have never worked as a mechanic, owned my own lift, or operated one other than lowering at a friend's request.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 06-27-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #42
Killer Bee

my first post 33 on 6/22, op last post 36 6/25

poor choice of words perhaps, nothing deriding intended

I'm guilty of not taking my own advice - don't take the internet too seriously

cheers!
Old 06-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #43
A1971Blazer

Quote:
The joking about lubing shafts and holes came after the fact, after the cylinder lowered safely, BTW. And OP hasn't posted a thing since your warning. You came with that after he came back. Scroll up, you'll see.

I, and I'm sure all the rest, certainly appreciate your warning and will take heed from this point forward. No one is ignoring anything here. I would not have needed to PM you had I known what you have just brought to the thread. I certainly would have been one to do as you did, without the assumptive condescending comments. The obvious fact is, the rest of us who were joking about it did not know such danger existed, so therefore gave no warning. Very simple. I'm sure I know things you don't and I'm happy to share when the opportunity arises. I don't expect to know everything others do, and visa-versa. But, I do know what I know by observation, listening, reading, and contemplation. Thanks for the education. It all makes sense what you say, but honestly never gave the air pressure over hydraulic involved a thought. I don't think I even offered a solution because I don't pretend to know things I have no experience with. And at the opposite end of the spectrum I sit ignorant of things concerning auto lifts, as I have never worked as a mechanic, owned my own lift, or operated one other than lowering at a friend's request.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
my first post 33 on 6/22, op last post 36 6/25

poor choice of words perhaps, nothing deriding intended

I'm guilty of not taking my own advice - don't take the internet too seriously

cheers!
Group hug...feel the love....problem solved...
WD-40 is mostly kerosene..... not the best lubricant for such a task....
who would have thought that Dawn would show up at the crack and do the trick....
carry on...we all learned something.....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer

Last edited by A1971Blazer; 06-27-2018 at 03:38 PM.
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #44
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, I'm good. No grudges ever held here, even if I do get mad at someone, which I didn't. Mostly trying to show there is nothing to suggest anyone here is not taking heed in this after the fact warning. The fact that Dustmaker65, or anyone else, didn't acknowledge the warning in print doesn't say warnings were ignored. The problem was already solved before the warning is another thing, and once it was solved is when the "adult" banter began. Killer Bee is a good guy. Sorry it was all workedout in the thread the way it was

Tim