The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
Jeepwm69

Dome light quit working

On my 83, the dome light quit working. Cargo light still works, which tells me it's not any of the switches.

Took the bulb out, which looks good, and measured the socket with a voltmeter which showed .25-.3 volts, so obviously I have a bad socket or bad connection somewhere. No corrosion on the terminals.

I'm guessing the leads to go the cargo light switch and then from there to the dome light, is that correct?

How does one go about fishing wires through there? I have a High Sierra so no headliner, and it doesn't look like there's an easy way to access/ replace the wires going to the dome light.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
Racmad2019

Re: Dome light quit working

I have the same problem on my 73 GMC 3/4 ton. I replaced the bulb, dome light assembly and wiring form the light --back to the fuse box. I read somewhere that the cigarette lighter is tied into this light somehow and my cig lighter doesn't work either. I've replaced the fuse and both switches as well.
I do have a burned spot on my fuse box and am looking at replacing the entire fuse box. Time and money are holding me back--not worth a dome light right now.
Racmad2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

if i remember right the cargo and dome are fed by the same power source coming from dash light switch...it splits at the cargo light switch above the drivers side seat...if you pull that switch out and check you should have 12v there if your cargo is working..if you have 12v there and not at the dome then the problem is there.....
I rewired mine independent of each other because I didn't like having my interior on for the cargo to work....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
GMDad

Yes I had the problem where the dome light stayed on from the cargo lamp socket shorting out. The orange and white wires go under the sill plate and up behind the radio speaker. If you pull the speaker and the speaker mount out I was able to get to the connection where the orange and white split. One set goes to cargo lamp and other goes to dome lamp.
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Jeepwm69

I'll pull the speaker and see what I get at that connection.

I need to pull my speakers anyway and paint the speaker boxes I bought here on the forum.

I'll report back with what I find.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
TKCR

I basically had that same issue too, but mine was the cargo light. I replace the harness that runs from the cargo & dome light down to the cargo switch. It wasn't the easiest thing to do. I taped the new harness to the old harness, hopefully to make it easier to pull the new harness thru. Darn thing kept getting hung up on something in between the panels. Finally got it and I haven't had any issues since. The old harness had some exposed wires, where the casing had dry rotted. Mainly on the wire that ran to the cargo light.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
Rich84

I just got an '86...It doesn't have a dome light. Weird.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

Probably not germain to your issue, but on my 83 I had intermittent no dome light for years. I finally got a 88 and up door pillar switch when I was at the junkyard and after installing it the dome light problem was fixed. The later model switches are a bit larger and have a nice rubber boot on them. I think the problem with the older switches is that the door rubber seal rubs on the switch and prevents it from extending fully and activating the dome light. I have aftermarket door seals which are thicker and put too much pressure on the switch. If you wiggle the door pillar switch and the dome light comes on intermittently, then you likely have a switch problem.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #9
bilfman

I had a burnt wire by my cargo light switch, it was my issue.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote