The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
bosco

Mustang II power steering issues

Hoping I can get some thoughts on an issue I am having with my Mustang II power steering (from CPP). It's installed on my 56 3100.

Issue is turning right (mainly when stopped) it binds and very difficult to turn the steering wheel. Turning to the left when stopped no issues at all very smooth.

I have flushed the system twice, and early on replaced the power steering pump.

Any thoughts?
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Mustang II power steering issues

I'd say have someone turn the steering wheel while you look under the truck to see if there is any thing physically binding the steering gear.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I'd say have someone turn the steering wheel while you look under the truck to see if there is any thing physically binding the steering gear.
Thanks. I have done (Sunday afternoon) that and nothing is binding movement. The interesting thing is there are times when it moves freely and other where it nearly locks up. It's feels like the pump is fighting me (like a break pedal).
Old 06-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
Rickysnickers

Hmmm, well, honestly, anymore than I just said would be guessing on my part. Are there any metal flakes or other bits in the fluid when you bled out the system?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Hmmm, well, honestly, anymore than I just said would be guessing on my part. Are there any metal flakes or other bits in the fluid when you bled out the system?
No junk in the fluid, and I have changed it twice. May have to break down and find a local shop to look at it.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:04 AM   #6
RustyPile

If there is no mechanical binding and/or interference, look into the steering linkage or hydraulic components.. If the pump is having a problem, you'd have binding in both directions.. I suspect you have a valving issue or other problem in the rack & pinion unit..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
If there is no mechanical binding and/or interference, look into the steering linkage or hydraulic components.. If the pump is having a problem, you'd have binding in both directions.. I suspect you have a valving issue or other problem in the rack & pinion unit..
That is what I was thinking going through all the other items. Since I have never worked on a rack and pinion I look for a local shop.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
bosco

Still having issues turning right, but better after flushing system. Trying to work with CPP on fixing the problems or replacing the unit.

But have a question. Can anyone tell me what the tube that runs from boot to boot does? What is it's function? From what I can tell is it goes no where. The boot pulled off one time and put it back in place with the tube that just fits into a rubber socket.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Still having issues turning right, but better after flushing system. Trying to work with CPP on fixing the problems or replacing the unit.

But have a question. Can anyone tell me what the tube that runs from boot to boot does? What is it's function? From what I can tell is it goes no where. The boot pulled off one time and put it back in place with the tube that just fits into a rubber socket.
best i understand it's an air bleed. as you compress the boot on one side it expands the boot on the other and being as these are rubber the air has to go somewhere. the tube keeps it sealed from outside air and there should be NO fluid in that area.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #10
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
best i understand it's an air bleed. as you compress the boot on one side it expands the boot on the other and being as these are rubber the air has to go somewhere. the tube keeps it sealed from outside air and there should be NO fluid in that area.
Thanks. That makes sense. Appreciated.