The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2018, 11:11 PM   #26
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Help with gluing interior vinyl door panels

No kidding, that bench seat is top notch
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:41 PM   #27
Montierth

Thanks. I think it looks pretty solid too! Wife gave the ok and she likes the original look so bit the bullet.
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 1970 GMC C2500 Dually Flat Bed
- 2003 Silverado
Montierth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #28
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
You can't go wrong with High Temp. It is specially formulated for high temps. Being a headliner adhesive, it would have to take high temps, being on the roof of a vehicle. The dry time is quick, I mean in seconds! I always have several cans on hand, it normally takes 2 cans for headliners.
And when I order from yourautotrim.com, I get them within the week.
Not doubting your personal experience. This product gets poor reviews on Amazon though. May be a better place to buy though.

https://www.amazon.com/Headliner-Mag...ustomerReviews
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #29
Montierth

I saw the Amazon thing too and was wondering if it was legit. I think it may be a different product than the photos. If you mouse over the "3 Cans $43.95" then the photo changes to "Headliner Magic". May be a bait and switch. All that said, I went to buy the Hi Temp stuff and after shipping it came out to over $30.
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 2003 Silverado
Old 06-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #30
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montierth View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check out the links. I used the spray version of 3M 77. I'm sure it is good when used for the right application. After sitting for a few days I can easily peel off the vinyl. Also it will not hold the wrapped edges down. I need something that immediately bonds and that can hold the stretched vinyl. The other kicker is I live in AZ and in the summer the inside of vehicles bake everything.
Did you let it tack up first before sticking it?
Depending on humidity, temp etc it may take longer but usually a few minutes will do.
When you spray both surfaces let it dry a bit until it's not wet to the touch.
I'm assuming you sprayed both surfaces?
I've never used the aresol but same principal as contact we used for cabinet/counter lamination.
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:12 PM   #31
Montierth

Yes on all of them I followed the instructions exactly. I even used stop watch on phone to time it. Most of them say to spray a couple coats on both materials, wait 1-5 minutes until not wet or tacky, then press together and hold. Maybe my expectations are too high. I want to press it all together and when I come back in an hour the 2 surfaces are bonded and difficult to separate. Most of them when I pulled them apart I was able to rub my fingers on the rubbery glue and rub it off the 2 surfaces.

Maybe I could be happy if the vinyl backing stayed attached to the steel panel and had a decent hold that would not fall off in the AZ heat. Then I would just need to figure out how to get the wrapped/stretched vinyl on the back side to stay.
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 2003 Silverado
Old 06-28-2018, 05:21 AM   #32
TKCR

Try giving it a bit more dry time before putting the 2 pieces together, different materials and humidity does make a difference. Maybe do a trial run on some scrap metal and scrap vinyl, for the timing. It maybe that the metal needs more time before the glue gets tacky. And you don't have to put a ton of it one either, just fully cover the surface. If it goes on too thick, then it takes too long too dry.

Also try searching on YouTube for some how to videos on attaching vinyl to metal surfaces. There maybe a trick to prepping the metal prior to the spray adhesive, like a little light sanding?
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #33
Grumpy old man

Your in AZ ,There's nothing your going to spray out of a can that will hold vinyl to a metal door panel you need to use glue that is better suited to your area .like Weldwood contact adhesive . You can brush on the spray grade and once it's stuck good luck pulling it off .
https://www.ebay.com/i/281094382720?chn=ps
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dap-Weldwoo...EAAOSwJKxaj9gM

I've been using it for 45 + years ,We used to brush all the glue installing vinyl tops in the 70's before they came out with the spray grade .I use a cheap harbor freight gun to spray it and it doesn't clog up the gun for months .

Clean off the metal panel using lac thinner , place your material face down on the table to center ,then while holding it in place flip it over to start glueing it down , start by folding the material in half lengthwise brush glue on the material and the panel about 2-3 inches wide allow about 5 minutes for it to tack carefully fold it back over and work the material into the grooves of the panel starting from the center working towards the edge once you do the first section you'll understand the process .You don't have to try to clean the glue you tried already off of the material just the metal panel ,Once done cleanup any residual glue on the face of the material using mineral spirits .
Attached Images

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 06-28-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #34
Grumpy old man

a couple more
Attached Images

Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #35
Montierth

Thanks for all the advice. This shouldn't be so complicated. I'm beginning to wonder if it is because of the extreme heat in the garage that is messing up the adhesion. I am doing the gluing in my garage when it is 110 degrees here and probably 130 in the garage. I have been experimenting with my old vinyl seatcover and extra sheet metal from cutting out old rust. I also tried the 3M 80 which was about the same as the others. If the surface is laying flat it seems to hold but with very little effort I can peel the vinyl off the steel and I can easily rub the glue off. If I try to wrap the vinyl then with time it will most likely lift off. I want to be able to glue it down and have a difficult time removing the vinyl. The contact cement was my next trial. Home Depot and Walmart carry the original Weldwood Contact Cement. Will that work ok?
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 2003 Silverado
Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #36
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montierth View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if it is because of the extreme heat in the garage that is messing up the adhesion. I am doing the gluing in my garage when it is 110 degrees here and probably 130 in the garage. Home Depot and Walmart carry the original Weldwood Contact Cement. Will that work ok?
I think Grumpy has some good advise above. I also think you should try the 3M 80 stuff early in the morning. That "may" give the adhesive time to dry at a lower temp. I know painting around here (Bakersfield, been about 103 lately), I only paint early in the AM (in the 70s).

Lastly, the second link Grumpy posted IS the Weldood Cement.
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote