The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2024, 08:34 PM   #1
58apache31

58 Apache - Great Granddad's truck

Hello Everyone,
First post here.

I'm admittedly not a Chevy man, but this truck is cool to me and has a ton of family history.

My dad's grand dad was a farmer that bought it brand new in 1958 in the small town of Pink Hill NC.
He died in the early 60's, and his wife gave the truck to my dad in the mid 80's.

Dad drove the truck for a few years but it suffered mechanical failure and it was parked. I last saw it run around 1995, and it was billowing smoke. Dad believed it was either a blown head gasket or cracked head, along with a broken ring. Since then it's been under a shelter at my dads house.

I've been resto/modding a 66 Mustang for the past few years, while casually looking for a 50's pickup, since my wife has always loved those years.

Out of the blue a few months ago, my Mom called and said "Dad wants to know if you want his truck" I said, what truck?
When she said "the 58 Chevy" I did not hesitate to say yes.

He said he kept meaning to fix it but kept putting it off, and he felt like after seeing me fix my 66, he figured the best thing to do is give me the 58 to fix and appreciate.

We went and got the title work done this week, and today I drove a few hours and picked up a complete 235/3speed for it.
I don't even have it at my house yet, but i'm ready and excited to get started.

Everything appears solid, as Dad has always tried to make sure it's at least out of the weather.

Hopefully I'll have it at my house in a few weeks and can assess it further.
Attached Images

58apache31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:31 PM   #2
68panelman

Re: 58 Apache - Great Granddad's truck

Looks like a good one, and an heirloom to boot!
Good luck and have fun
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:28 PM   #3
dsraven

Re: 58 Apache - Great Granddad's truck

looks pretty solid. keep posting pics as you go. good idea to take pics before you start any disassembly of anything so you can remember how stuff was originally put together. a free download of the 55-59 chevrolet truck factory assembly manual can be found at the trifive site. invaluable sometimes after stuff has been apart and had to be left for awhile. memory is good but not usually detailed enough.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote