The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
hotwls13

TH350 Transmission Leaking from everywhere!

My new to me 70 GMC LWB TH350 is leaking a LOT. It is also an ugly mess that has evidently been leaking for YEARS. So far I have found what appears to be leaks from:

- Speedo Bullet
- Vacuum Modulator
- Pan
- Shift Selector

I have picked up the following:

- New Speedo Bullet (with seal and O-ring)
- New Redline Vacuum Modulator (with hose)
- New Shift Selector seal
- New Pan Gasket and Filter kit (filter is the metal type, gasket the rubber type)

ANything I'm not thinking of? Maybe Filler O-ring?? The rear seal is NOT leaking surprisingly.

Should I try to get a replacement Pan Gasket (either Fel-Pro or Cork with metal inner part)??

I also may need a new "Driven Gear" as it may have a groove worn in it. They are hard to find around town so I will have to order one once I pull it and find what color/size I need.
Attached Images

hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
demian5

Re: TH350 Transmission Leaking from everywhere!

Replace the filler tube o-ring and the tv cable o ring may be leaking. I would clean it off and pinpoint the leaks before doing anything.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post
ANything I'm not thinking of? Maybe Filler O-ring??
That was my first thought, since I had a leaky o-ring that drove me crazy trying to find the leak. They're cheap, might as well do it along with everything else.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Replace the filler tube o-ring and the tv cable o ring may be leaking. I would clean it off and pinpoint the leaks before doing anything.
Easier said than done. This thing is a mess. And lately I've had some horrible Vertigo. With the 105 temps it is slow going.

I KNOW it's leaking from speedo/vacuum/pan. I figure do everything I can now (or as I can get to it) before filling with fluid.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
hotwls13

Thinking of picking this up instead of the rubber one that came with the filter kit:

https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/...306_26641_6156
Old 12-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
hotwls13

Been a while (life got in the way). Got back to messing with the trans. Swapped filter and pan gasket, put new speedo bullet in and also a new vacuum modulator. Put about 4 quarts back in. Still leaking from front of pan.

The pan itself looks a little roughed up in the front corner (where it appears to be leaking).

Any recommendations on a replacement pan?? Don’t need fancy just functional. I’ve read the aluminum ones seal better??
Old 12-02-2018, 09:52 PM   #7
Barnfind46

Replace the pan. If the factory pan has been over tightened in the past it will tend to want to leak after the new gasket has been installed. An aluminum pan is nice but a new steel pan will do. Good quality gasket and you should be good.Be persistent. You will get it done!
Old 12-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #8
AussieinNC

Quote:
Been a while (life got in the way). Got back to messing with the trans. Swapped filter and pan gasket, put new speedo bullet in and also a new vacuum modulator. Put about 4 quarts back in. Still leaking from front of pan.

The pan itself looks a little roughed up in the front corner (where it appears to be leaking).

Any recommendations on a replacement pan?? Don’t need fancy just functional. I’ve read the aluminum ones seal better??
I have had great success with these aluminum pans and bolts....

https://www.amazon.com/Assault-Racin...0+aluminum+pan

$39.60 incl shipping on the A-Z

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
I have had great success with these aluminum pans and bolts....

https://www.amazon.com/Assault-Racin...0+aluminum+pan

$39.60 incl shipping on the A-Z
This is the one I was planning to get. Already had it in my Amazon cart.

Thanks for the positive input on it. Makes me feel better. Ordering.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
geezer#99

Is the vent clean?
If not you’ll be fixing leaks forever.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
kwmech

Quote:

More than likely leaking from the front pump or input/torque convertor seal
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #12
57larry

I'd power wash that tranny, then check for leaks
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #13
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Is the vent clean?
No idea. I'm new to all of this, I probably just should have had a rebuilt transmission put in. Trying to to do all of this on the cheap. Just want to drive the truck. I honestly have no idea if this trans is even any good. I've only driven it about 3-5mph from a guys field onto a trailer, then up my driveway when home. It ran/drove, reverse and first gear worked but other than than, who knows.

At this point, I have about 20 days to do stuff to this truck, then life takes over again til February. SO many other things that need work on this truck (and a lot of it I WANT to do to the truck). Haha, don't know if it makes sense but I need to work on electrical issues, brakes, guages, oil leaks (oil Pan, filter both leaking). Not to mention it probably needs a new heater core, the AC stuff is torn apart, the electrical engine fans are wired wonky, I need to replace the trashed bench with some buckets I have etc.

I bought the replacement pan, but that's not going on til this thing is ready for the road.

But, as far as the vent leaking, the leak started after I filled the trans back up with 3.5 quarts, and I hadn't ran the engine yet. Let it sit overnight and I have a small leak on the front/passenger side of the pan (which is also the spot that the edge of the pan is chewed up a bit). SO my thinking is while it "may" have a clogged vent tube, it would only cause leaking from there is the truck had been run (creating pressure), correct??
Old 12-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #14
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Is the vent clean?
X2 on this. Its located on the top of the case just back from the belhousing section. Takes two minutes to remove, flush out, and reinstall.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #15
AussieinNC

Seeing the trans was down 3-4 quarts the likely culprit is the vacuum modulator sucking trans fluid out and burning it in the engine...

I see you have a new modulator, great, follow the metal pipe in back of modulator up to the intake manifold and replace the short rubber tube that connects the metal tube to the intake....BUT...before you put new rubber hose on, grab a paper clip and probe the manifold fitting and ensure the vacuum source port is open...spray a little carb cleaner down it and blow it out with compressed air...

Then fit new rubber tube etc...

Have fun...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #16
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Seeing the trans was down 3-4 quarts the likely culprit is the vacuum modulator sucking trans fluid out and burning it in the engine...
It wasn't "down 3-4 quarts". I changed the trans filter and pan gasket (drained trans fluid before doing this). Once those were changed, I also replaced the vacuum modulator and speedo bullet which were both leaking previously. THEN I added 3.5 quarts back in.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #17
tdangle

I fought with this for a long time also. Trans pretty much looked like yours. I hate to say it, but probably the best solution is to have a shop pull it, rebuild it and reinstall. You will never get it clean while in the truck, I tried. If the external seals are hard and bad, you probably have internal seals in the same condition. I ended up replacing it with a 4 speed overdrive unit.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #18
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I fought with this for a long time also. Trans pretty much looked like yours. I hate to say it, but probably the best solution is to have a shop pull it, rebuild it and reinstall. You will never get it clean while in the truck, I tried. If the external seals are hard and bad, you probably have internal seals in the same condition. I ended up replacing it with a 4 speed overdrive unit.
Yep, I'm definitely leaning that way (eventually). The plan for this truck was to get it driving (road worthy) and clean up the visuals a bit.

No $$ in the budget right now to replace trans. I still have a few months til I plan on registering it (it's on Non-Op right now and Mar 31st is renewal date which I'm waiting for so I don't get dinged for this Year). Plenty of other headaches to deal with on this thing between now and then.