The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
LuckyHenriksen

Headers

I need some headers for my 68 C10 with a small block. I would like to go long tubes, with a 3 inch collector. What are some good choices? Pros/cons of shorty headers vs. long tubes? Can I use headers for different makes of cars, like Camaros? I want to get the most performance possible out of this engine. Any help/advice is appreciated.
LuckyHenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
71Chevy4-speed
Speed Limit = Floorboard

Re: Headers

Stay away from shorty's unless you have to pass emmisions. Long tubes are the only true header because the have a collector. Longer primary tubes work better on torque applications, something shorty's seem to lack, though they are better than most cast manifolds. Hooker is my prefered choice, heddman is great, flowtech for cheapy's that work well. There is enough truck applications out there you shouldn't have to much trouble finding one to work, though I do hear of guys using chevelle or other car headers on a big block swap into there truck I don't here to much on car applications for a small block, probably due to the fact that most of these trucks have small blocks and there are enough headers designed for these truck that don't have fitment issues.
71Chevy4-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Pyrotechnic

I just put some Hedman long tubes on my 77 and I like them so far. The design is great, and they fit the truck really well. The exit right inline with my factory double hump crossmember too. Hedman's seem to have the longest tubes.

My only complaint was that I had to file out the holes on the flanges to get all the bolts to start, which kind of bothered me, but they are MUCH better than the Dynomax long tubes I took off. I could go on and on about how the Dynomax are complete garbage.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
1966gmc
Why does it taste purple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
they are MUCH better than the Dynomax long tubes I took off. I could go on and on about how the Dynomax are complete garbage.
The set of Dynomax Long tubes I have are decent.I haven't had a problem yet with them.Now on the other hand,I put a set of Dynomax's on my old 85 Caballero and they had warped flanges.I guess it's hit or miss with them
1966gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

From my experience and my truck's experience, long tube headers are the lowest point on the truck except for the lower A arms. If your truck is lowered more than a little, mines lowered quite alot, you'll have to pay atention to some of the "speed bumps" out there. I've full length Hookers and they're holding up pretty well between the miles and the occasional "aw shoot I should slowed down a little more"!

67CHEVY SWB,355, built 700r, 5/7,9",posi 3.50,REAR BAGS,HOOSIERS, A/C.
54CHEVY - BURB, beginning construction(well, i gotta take it apart first!)
36FORD PU - WAITING
38CHEVY - 2DR SD,CHASSIS FINISHED
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Gotta watch that second set of tracks don't ya Jay

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966gmc View Post
The set of Dynomax Long tubes I have are decent.I haven't had a problem yet with them.Now on the other hand,I put a set of Dynomax's on my old 85 Caballero and they had warped flanges.I guess it's hit or miss with them
Well here's my gripe list against them.

1. #3 spark plug wire ALWAYS burns up and is way to close to the plug, even with header plugs. Plug access for #3 is awful.

2. The collectors do not take the natural tilt of the engine into account and aim towards the ground. There is no reason for long tube headers to aim towards the ground

3. The drivers side does not line up with the hump in the factory double hump crossmember.

4. The primary tubes are not as long as other brands out there

Now with all that said, they are usable and they sound good, but there are headers for these trucks available without the headaches that these have. Flowtech seems to use the same design for their headers as well.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Flowtech/Dynomax are ok for the money, but i wish i spent more money for Hedman or Hooker headers.

Last edited by JAKES 68GMC; 01-09-2008 at 01:28 PM.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
LuckyHenriksen

Thanks Guys! So I have heard people complain about Hedman, saying that they don't hold up well. But you all seem to think they are good. I really like some hedmans I found, and their affordable. Any opinions?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Pyrotechnic

Like I said, I'm very happy with the Hedmans. The only issue I had was that there were small burrs and bumps in the flange bolt holes that I have to file out in order to get my bolts to thread in correctly. The fitment and design are awesome, they just could have cleaned up the holes a little more.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Go with the Hedmans. With my flowtechs/dynomax, ive got the worst, most awful looking, gumped up exhaust pipes coming off the collectors to clear the X-member. Go with Hedmans or Hookers for good quality and fitment. I wish I did looking back on it.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
redhead69
fugedaboutit

I like my headmans, the ball/socket collector allows a little flexibility of how you run your pipes too
Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #13
LuckyHenriksen

Thanks guys, I will go with the Hedmans. How bout the rest of the exhaust? I would like to fit 3 inch, but will that fit?
Old 01-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
redhead69
fugedaboutit

What kind of HP you putting out? 3" is excessive unless your running over 400 hp. Looks cool though
Old 01-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
Pyrotechnic

The Hedmans come with 2.5 inch reducers, and so does pretty much every other small block header out there. 2.5 inch pipe is a good size for small blocks. Also a lot cheaper than 3 inch.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:28 AM   #16
70GMCer

Good luck on the #5 & #6 spark plug install with the Hedmans. Also pay attention to the lower control arm on the left side. The tube is in the way of the grease fitting for the bushings. Also the #2 tube that hits the frame on the right side and also is right next to the brake line.

They ONLY thing I like about the Hedman, is the ball flanges at the collectors. But you can buy them for other headers as well.

IMO, I will never used Hedmans again. I would go to the hardware store and get 1 1/2" black pipe and fittings and make my own before using Hedmans.

I hope you have better luck than me. I went to Hooker from advice from others near me and also from members on this board.

If you need pictures of the fit, I have them......

1965 Mustang

Last edited by 70GMCer; 01-13-2008 at 02:32 AM.
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #17
redhead69
fugedaboutit

yup..that is all true.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #18
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GMCer View Post
Good luck on the #5 & #6 spark plug install with the Hedmans. Also pay attention to the lower control arm on the left side. The tube is in the way of the grease fitting for the bushings. Also the #2 tube that hits the frame on the right side and also is right next to the brake line.

They ONLY thing I like about the Hedman, is the ball flanges at the collectors. But you can buy them for other headers as well.

IMO, I will never used Hedmans again. I would go to the hardware store and get 1 1/2" black pipe and fittings and make my own before using Hedmans.

I hope you have better luck than me. I went to Hooker from advice from others near me and also from members on this board.

If you need pictures of the fit, I have them......
I did not have any issues with the tubes hitting the frame. This is on a 77. As far the fuel and brake lines, I used a large C clamp and piece of wood to gently bend the lines out of the way so they don't protrude from the frame any more.

The sparks plugs access for 5 and 6 is a little limited, but not bad. It's still much better than the nightmare on #3 that the Dynomax/Flowtech design has. The plug boot would be tight against the #1 tube if you didn't use a short header plug with the Dynomax/Flowtech design.

The Hedmans have their problems, but they are a big step up from the Dynomax/Flowtech headers I was using. Thats just my experience anyway.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #19
ibad57

If you go headman check this out summit says these are perfic fit wrong! application 72 chevy C10 auto they only need frame trim on pass side see pic
they look sweet and bolt on easy after the trim prefered if you plan on lowering down the road and lifetime warantee
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #20
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

BACKYARD88 - that was mean! Actually, you are totally correct! I'm going to replace the lower a arms soon as I get back from Texascowboy593's gig at the Navasota Raceway 1-27. I've no clearance problems with my Hookers, but they pretty old (like the truck and it's owner).

67CHEVY SWB,355, built 700r, 5/7,9",posi 3.50,REAR BAGS,HOOSIERS, A/C.
54CHEVY - BURB, beginning construction(well, i gotta take it apart first!)
36FORD PU - WAITING
38CHEVY - 2DR SD,CHASSIS FINISHED
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:53 AM   #21
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

i kow I had hookers on my old SWB and they fit great, thick metal, never hit the pavement unless I was being retarded (45 MPH over speed humps kind of retarded)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #22
SRH916
1975 C-10 Silverado LWB

has anyone bought a set of the headers from summit? do they perform for the money?
- 4 Bolt 350 "Brand new" 1200mi
- THM-375 "Brand new w/trans cooler" 5000mi

1995 Ford Lightning
- Bone Stock
- 351W
- Vortech??
SRH916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #23
Damien

I put hookers on my K5 blazer. They fit very well. I had to bend the shift linkage just a hair coming off the collum. Other then that no problems except changing the starter. The front diff. is in the way. Just had to jack up the front of the truck and the starter fell out.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #24
LuckyHenriksen

OK, so which type of Hookers are you using? any pics of them on the truck?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #25
Damien

I don't remember the part number. They are coated competition headers for a 4x4 truck with a small block. Hooker makes 2wd truck headers too. Make sure you get the right ones. I'll try to get pics this weekend.