The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
hotrodjoe1952

Arrow 52 Chevy Build

Okay guys thanks to OrrieG for helping me figure out how to post this thread, I have a 1952 Chevy Truck that I am going to build, Right now I am gathering parts like front sub frame from a Camaro (81 Z28) I got the whole car for $100.00 bucks lol...

I have a lot of questions for you awesome builders, #1. how do you know exactly where to cut the frame when doing a sub frame conversion? I have seen some awesome pictures for this build but not a lot of detail on where to actually cut at so any info and pictures would be very helpful.

I will ask my next question tomorrow, I am going to pick my truck up in the morning because the cold weather has finally given us a break here in Eastern, Ky and I will have new pictures of what I purchased.

Joey
http://www.electronicshve.com
Attached Images

hotrodjoe1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Chevymaniac

Re: 52 Chevy Build

I assume you are posting pics of the truck you are planning to work on. My question to you is this. Why do you want to change the front sub frame?

From what i see from the pics you provided, the truck is a 3/4 ton 4x4. It looks to be sitting on a newer frame from what i can tell. The only reason to change the front sub frame is if the truck is a 2wd and has the orginial frame and suspension under it. This would than tell me you are planning to upgrade the front, hence the purchase of the camaro. I don't see how this would work with the 4x4 frame, unless you plan on converting it to a 2wd truck.

I would keep it the way it sits, it looks great as is. I wouldn't mind owning it myself as I like the looks of these classic trucks.
Chevymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
hotrodjoe1952

Thanks for the post, actually frame under this truck is original, someone cut the 2wheel suspension out and upgraded it to be a 4x4, after researching the sub frame idea i have found i am better off going with an older sub frame from the 78 to 81 camero, i like this 4x4 look but i want it to be 2 wheel instead plus i am thinking of going with a short wheel base bed
Old 01-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
hotrodjoe1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevymaniac View Post
I assume you are posting pics of the truck you are planning to work on. My question to you is this. Why do you want to change the front sub frame?

From what i see from the pics you provided, the truck is a 3/4 ton 4x4. It looks to be sitting on a newer frame from what i can tell. The only reason to change the front sub frame is if the truck is a 2wd and has the orginial frame and suspension under it. This would than tell me you are planning to upgrade the front, hence the purchase of the camaro. I don't see how this would work with the 4x4 frame, unless you plan on converting it to a 2wd truck.

I would keep it the way it sits, it looks great as is. I wouldn't mind owning it myself as I like the looks of these classic trucks.
After doing a vin decode on the truck i find it once was a 1.5 ton 4400 series which might have been a dually from the factory, not sure but this cab is as solid as they come .
Old 01-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Chevymaniac

At least i now know what you want to do, it's a nice truck. You don't see too many that are 4wd's. A friend has one sitting outside at his shop that i would like to great my hands on, but would require too much time and money to make it the 4x4 i want.

Are you planning to cut the frame down to a swb or just find one that is?
What's all there for a drivetrain anyways?
Chevymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
hotrodjoe1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevymaniac View Post
At least i now know what you want to do, it's a nice truck. You don't see too many that are 4wd's. A friend has one sitting outside at his shop that i would like to great my hands on, but would require too much time and money to make it the 4x4 i want.

Are you planning to cut the frame down to a swb or just find one that is?
What's all there for a drivetrain anyways?
With a little more research i found out this truck was a dually with the steak body flat bed 1.5 ton 4400, the original frame is still intact but it has been shortened to fit the step side bed and the front suspension was removed to add the 4 wheel drive setup and the old leaf springs were used, i checked with a few custom car/truck builders and the 1.5 frame is actually about the same as the 1/2 to and so on according to what they are saying so i will probably just use that frame and sub it in the front and then change the back with different leaf springs and rear end but i will need to shorten it even more to fit the short bed in, i found a grave yard of these trucks in salyersville, ky so i am going to start there on finding the short bed, if nothing good is found then i will just shorten the one i have and use it...i was going to use the subframe from a 86 camaro but it wont work...dang it lol...i am on the hunt to find one from a nova or older camaro now, the engine will be a 350 TPI and a 700R4 Trans, planning to tear it down this month once the sub frame is found....i am dieing to use my new welder and plazma cutter wo0t w0ot