The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #26
HEADTURNINGC10

Re: 6 lug disc brake conversion

I just need to drill the rivets and make new holes right then puts bolts in the places? What about the motor I heard I had to support it and the only reason I'm doing the 85 swap is it already has drop spindles and springs the front end is nearly slammed I don't mind doing work since I have more time than money but I really don't want to get in over my head though... Any chance you could give me done more info on the swap tx firefighter, but I've also looked into the kit but I got this frame with all steering components and lowered right with a 12 bolt rear 4:11 gears for $300 I couldn't let it get away
HEADTURNINGC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #27
HEADTURNINGC10

I bought a 85 frame plus suspension that is nearly slammed to the ground all steering and a 12 bolt rear all still together in the frame brakes and all for $300 I plan in pulling that cross member and putting on my 69 for the drop components and the disk brakes plus the more common 5x5 lug. If y'all could give me more info on the procedure like I heard I had to support the motor.. And drill out the rivets and put bolts in those places right I don't want to get in over my head
HEADTURNINGC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #28
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I am assuming the suspension on your late model donor is sound and safe to use without rebuilding. If it is, the following is the simplest way to do it.

-remove your present suspension. Leave the crossmember bolted to the frame, remove the arms, spindles, brakes, all steering, idler arm. Leave your steering box and pitman arm in place.

-now, replace everything that you removed with the parts off of your late model donor. You will likely have to drill the holes in the crossmember for the lower control arm u bolts to enlarge them. The later model trucks used larger u bolts than the early. Just pass a drill bit though the existing holes.

There are no rivets to remove, engine to support or anything this way. No reason the change your crossmember. All of the later model stuff bolts to the existing early model crossmember.

Reuse the entire brake lines from your late model donor. They will fit your early truck. You'll have to drill the two holes to mount the prop valve. Once you get the lines in place, you'll see where the prop valve lays. Just drill the two 5/16 holes and bolt it down.