The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2021, 09:00 PM   #26
jocko

Re: Budget Vortec Head Upgrade

Here's how you can run original valve covers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Ce...ss!76028!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-Valve-C...rd!76028!US!-1

Note that some have a rubber seal that in a machined slot while others use dual gaskets above and below the adapter. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has used the rubber seal in the machined slot type as to whether there were any leakage issues. I'd "think" they'd be less likely to leak than stock gaskets, but then again, not sure how rigid the adapters are. I have a couple sets of actual GM adapters that I plan to use - found them at an old Chevy dealer near where I grew up - called the lady behind the parts desk, she even knew some of my relatives, and boom, they were in the mail. GM used to make these adapters shortly after the vortec heads came out, but I don't think they still do. From what I could tell they are identical to the ones offered by Speedway.
Attached Images

jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #27
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Here's how you can run original valve covers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Ce...ss!76028!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-Valve-C...rd!76028!US!-1

Note that some have a rubber seal that in a machined slot while others use dual gaskets above and below the adapter. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has used the rubber seal in the machined slot type as to whether there were any leakage issues. I'd "think" they'd be less likely to leak than stock gaskets, but then again, not sure how rigid the adapters are. I have a couple sets of actual GM adapters that I plan to use - found them at an old Chevy dealer near where I grew up - called the lady behind the parts desk, she even knew some of my relatives, and boom, they were in the mail. GM used to make these adapters shortly after the vortec heads came out, but I don't think they still do. From what I could tell they are identical to the ones offered by Speedway.
Interesting. It seems the machined slot style wouldn't be as thick and noticeable since there wouldn't be a stock gasket underneath it. I would think that the valve cover would help keep the adapter rigid.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #28
jocko

I agree - that's my preferred choice and the type I bought, I just haven't had a chance to use them just yet. If you painted their edges chevy orange, they'd likely almost disappear visually - i.e. look like a slightly deeper head - and all you'd see is the usual gasket below the stock valve cover, over top of the adapter. I think they should seal well to the head due to the vortec bolt down pattern - and then you'd have the 'normal' leak concerns with the stock valve cover to the top of the adapter. The only ones I've ever seen good pics of installed were a thicker, different type of adapter and they kinda stood out if not painted.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:26 PM   #29
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I agree - that's my preferred choice and the type I bought, I just haven't had a chance to use them just yet. If you painted their edges chevy orange, they'd likely almost disappear visually - i.e. look like a slightly deeper head - and all you'd see is the usual gasket below the stock valve cover, over top of the adapter. I think they should seal well to the head due to the vortec bolt down pattern - and then you'd have the 'normal' leak concerns with the stock valve cover to the top of the adapter.
This arrangement would get the crankcase vent inlet hole back in the correct place for use with a stock air cleaner, which is what I've been planning on doing. Wasn't sure how I'd do that with the Vortec valve covers since things are awfully crowded over the back of the driver side valve cover with the throttle linkage, transmission kickdown and power brake booster hose all in that space. I do like how well the center bolt Vortec valve covers seal though.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:31 AM   #30
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
I did a similar build with Vortec heads and a Edlebrock 2116 intake. I used the Eddy 7235 intake gaskets similar to your Mr Gasket 136G. Engine ran like a champ for first couple thousand miles than started idling rough, fouling plugs and smoking out the tailpipes. Changed the gaskets thinking maybe I messed up the install, same results. After searching the web I discovered this was common issue Vortec heads when paper/felt style gaskets are used. Lots of builders recommend steel rubber impregnated gaskets found in the Felpro MS98000T kit so i gave them a try. Problem solved.

So if you start smoking check your intake gaskets.
I cheated.
I started with a g.m. crate engine for a 3/4 ton and up. As they are have 4 bolt mains over the 1/2 ton 2 bolt. (2 bolt mains part number ends with a 2, the 4 bolt main crate ends with a 3) . 2021.52
Bought the ram jet roller cam, (172.63) 1.6 roller rockers,(227.95) ls9 beehive springs and comp cams retainers and locks. (112.31)
Drilled out the push rod holes , slowly as I did not pull the heads.
Edelbrook dual pattern(339.95) you can bolt on a q-jet or a square bore carb) intake . cast alum valve covers (118.95) short water pump (45.00)
one piece rubber oil pan gasket (24.94) timing cover gasket (5.56) rubber valve cover gaskets (19.92).melonized distributor gear 45.99) had HEI and The carb rebuild kit and new float for the q-jet was 18.67 and 7.99
Carb studs. 8.95, a tube of rtv for the intake china walls. 7.65, thermostat and gasket 11.54 engine paint 9.23 bolts for water pump 3.12 90's truck flexplate with the newer bolt pattern 65.99
Should have 330-340hp as it is a ramjet long block now.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #31
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRacefan View Post
I cheated.
I started with a g.m. crate engine for a 3/4 ton and up. As they are have 4 bolt mains over the 1/2 ton 2 bolt. (2 bolt mains part number ends with a 2, the 4 bolt main crate ends with a 3) . 2021.52
Bought the ram jet roller cam, (172.63) 1.6 roller rockers,(227.95) ls9 beehive springs and comp cams retainers and locks. (112.31)
Drilled out the push rod holes , slowly as I did not pull the heads.
Edelbrook dual pattern(339.95) you can bolt on a q-jet or a square bore carb) intake . cast alum valve covers (118.95) short water pump (45.00)
one piece rubber oil pan gasket (24.94) timing cover gasket (5.56) rubber valve cover gaskets (19.92).melonized distributor gear 45.99) had HEI and The carb rebuild kit and new float for the q-jet was 18.67 and 7.99
Carb studs. 8.95, a tube of rtv for the intake china walls. 7.65, thermostat and gasket 11.54 engine paint 9.23 bolts for water pump 3.12 90's truck flexplate with the newer bolt pattern 65.99
Should have 330-340hp as it is a ramjet long block now.
That's not a bad price for that crate engine.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #32
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry593 View Post
That 8 bolt intake design is not one of GM's crowning achievements.
Man, you've got that right! Why in the world did they get rid of the additional 4 bolts? GM had problems even with totally stock parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry593 View Post
A good thing about the late model valve covers is that they don't leak.
Yes, great design that limits how much the gaskets can be compressed.
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #33
MikeB

Quote:
I started with a g.m. crate engine for a 3/4 ton and up. As they are have 4 bolt mains over the 1/2 ton 2 bolt. .
I thought the engine I built for my 82 C10 (which I no longer have) was out of a 1997 1/2 ton pickup. However, it has 4-bolt mains and came with an oil cooler adapter. That must mean it was from a 3/4 ton truck. Unfortunately, magnafluxing showed that each of the 062 heads had a couple hairline cracks between valve seats. Not unusual for the lightweight castings, from what I hear.

I ended up using only the block, oil pan, and pan baffle, and bought a balanced rotating assembly. The good news is I sold the nodular iron crank, pistons, and rods for about what I paid for the entire engine! If I had a do-over I would have kept the crank and rods, and then used D-dish pistons and have it all balanced locally.

I also used the RamJet roller cam with the valves springs and retainers I mentioned above. Small world!
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 02-10-2021 at 10:49 AM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:13 PM   #34
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I thought the engine I built for my 82 C10 (which I no longer have) was out of a 1997 1/2 ton pickup. However, it has 4-bolt mains and came with an oil cooler adapter. That must mean it was from a 3/4 ton truck.
My 906 heads have the hardened exhaust valve seats, but they came out of a 1/2 ton pickup. I didn't have them magnafluxed, so I'm definitely taking a gamble. I just inspected them thoroughly with the valves removed.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #35
Acorn

I have been running the Speedway valve cover adaptors on a crate L31 for two years of 'daily' driving and have had no leaks. The o-ring was thick enough to compress nicely against the head. I thought if it ever did start to leak, I would just use some RTV. But, so far, so good. I also use the thick blue cover gaskets from Speedway. (910-17001)
I also painted the sides of the adaptors orange so they didn't stand out. Most people don't even notice at first glance.
Here are a couple old bad pics. Note that the valve cover is not bolted down but the gasket is under there to give you and idea.
Name:  IMG_0801.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  39.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0804.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  57.3 KB
Old 02-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #36
garyd1961

Quote:
They make adapters if you have to have the old look.
Not referring to you personally but I just don't understand this. The center bolt valve covers is an upgrade just like the roller cam and one piece rear seal. Yet people pay extra so they can put the old leaky type valve covers back on. For what? It's only bolts not every other bolt is the same as factory.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:30 PM   #37
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
Not referring to you personally but I just don't understand this. The center bolt valve covers is an upgrade just like the roller cam and one piece rear seal. Yet people pay extra so they can put the old leaky type valve covers back on. For what? It's only bolts not every other bolt is the same as factory.
For me, everything I do to my truck is a balance between nostalgia and performance. For some people, that line is way one way where they want everything to be exactly as it was from the factory. I love seeing a totally stock truck, restored or not. It is something truly special. For others, it's more about performance and appearance. You end up with an LS motor, shaved firewall, notched frame, relocated tank, modern interior, etc. The craftsmanship in some of these trucks is truly impressive, and they still retain some nostalgia, at least from the outside. Valve cover adapters like this are for those of us who are a touch more on the nostalgia side than the performance side. I admit the adapters don't make a a lot of sense from a purely functional standpoint, but I am still tempted by them.

Last edited by pjmoreland; 02-09-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:17 AM   #38
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
Some like their vehicle to look era correct.
Same reason Holley sells a bunch of efi units that look like a Holley double pumper.
Same reason they make a big deal out of putting a shaft radio in , and not a din sized unit.
I am in the planing stages of building an era correct type/themed vehicle.
There are some newer things I will be able to hide and still look the part and others I will not be able to.
My truck I went with the newer engine because it was all new and cheaper than having a machine shop do a basic rebuild on my old unit.
If I rebuilt my old 350, and add a roller cam and better than smog heads, it would have been 4500.-5000.00 the base rebuild 2500.00 + retrofit roller cam and lifters/etc 1100.00+ heads 1200.00+ better intake than the cast iron lump 109.
The g.m. crate vortec and the parts to turn it into a copy of the ram jet 350 with 330-340 hp was under 3k .
It seems g.m. prices the crate engines a fair bit higher now. but when I bought it for a little over 2 grand, it was a no brainer, all new everything from g.m.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:56 PM   #39
pjmoreland

I went ahead and preemptively replaced my intake manifold gasket with the metal/rubber Felpro MS98000T gasket. I am waiting for the RTV to cure, so I haven't started it up, but one thing I noticed right away was that the manifold bolts didn't feel mushy like they did when I torqued down the Mr. Gasket gasket. I followed the guidelines in this video, starting at 13:49.

https://youtu.be/uoB8t6__210

Last edited by pjmoreland; 04-14-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:17 AM   #40
OL SKOOL

Would those vortec heads work on a 400 sb. Would i have to drill out the steam hole passages? P J that engine looks great in there.
OL SKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #41
pjmoreland

Thanks, OL SKOOL. This article talks briefly about drilling steam passages by hand in Vortec heads.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp...ster-for-2500/
Old 03-01-2021, 03:53 AM   #42
garyd1961

Quote:
Some like their vehicle to look era correct.
Same reason Holley sells a bunch of efi units that look like a Holley double pumper.
Same reason they make a big deal out of putting a shaft radio in , and not a din sized unit.
I am in the planing stages of building an era correct type/themed vehicle.
There are some newer things I will be able to hide and still look the part and others I will not be able to.
My truck I went with the newer engine because it was all new and cheaper than having a machine shop do a basic rebuild on my old unit.
If I rebuilt my old 350, and add a roller cam and better than smog heads, it would have been 4500.-5000.00 the base rebuild 2500.00 + retrofit roller cam and lifters/etc 1100.00+ heads 1200.00+ better intake than the cast iron lump 109.
The g.m. crate vortec and the parts to turn it into a copy of the ram jet 350 with 330-340 hp was under 3k .
It seems g.m. prices the crate engines a fair bit higher now. but when I bought it for a little over 2 grand, it was a no brainer, all new everything from g.m.
I have the Vortec L31-R in my truck. I kept the original cam with a Holley carb and long tube headers to help it breath. It runs good and from watching dyno's of simular setups I should be close to 300 hp and over 375 ft/lbs of torque.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote