The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
tc64

turn signal cam

I just replaced the turn signal cam in my 64 c10, the signals worked fine but the cam felt sloppy and worn, now the front signals are not working, the rears do.I can hear the relay as usual.I did have to loosen the column screws to give me enough slack in the wire harness to replace the turn signal cam but other than that I didn't touch any wiring. anyone have a guess what's wrong before I start replacing things?
tc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:54 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: turn signal cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc64 View Post
I just replaced the turn signal cam in my 64 c10, the signals worked fine but the cam felt sloppy and worn, now the front signals are not working, the rears do.I can hear the relay as usual.I did have to loosen the column screws to give me enough slack in the wire harness to replace the turn signal cam but other than that I didn't touch any wiring. anyone have a guess what's wrong before I start replacing things?

If you are hearing the relay(do you mean the flasher?) Is it because the rear turn signals are working?
It's easy to check the turn signal wiring with a volt/ohmmeter IF you know how to check for continuity just disconnect the column connector and find the purple wire near the center of the connector. This is the power wire for the turn signal lights.

Connect the red lead to the purple wire in the harness that goes up to the TS switch.
Locate the light blue or the dark blue wire (left or right turn signal wire) and connect the black lead to that on the column harness.
If you're on the light blue wire put the TS switch in the left turn position and you should read zero ohms. Then switch the black lead to the dark blue wire and put the TS switch in the right turn position. You should read zero ohms.

If you get the readings then the switch is working.

You can test the rear signals the same way, just switch the black lead to the yellow wire for the left signal and the dark green for the right signal.
You say the rears are working so you should get the readings.

If you don't get the readings on the fronts, then you may have blown bulbs or the wire connectors in the forward harness connection may not be making contact.
Test the switch and post back.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:43 AM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here is a diagram for you.

Name:  64_wiring_page2.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  96.5 KB

The directional switch is in the center top section and the wire colors are shown.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 01-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
tc64

quick question, does the turn signal switch operate the fronts and backs separately? I assumed it wasn't the switch because the backs are working.i should also add that the blinker dash lights are not flashing either. Also, there is power getting to the metal contacts in the switch.
thanks for the input and hello Vette, you actually gave me this schematic two years ago when I started this restoration, glad to see you're still helping us all out!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I just checked and I've been on the forum just over 11 years, WoW, It seems like yesterday.

If you look at the diagram, just to the right of the TSS is the turn signal indicators and you can see the dark and light blue wires going to the cluster connector and from there down to the forward connector, where they join with the two blue wires from the TSS.

They do operate separately and for all four to be out I would suspect a bad connector or
a power problem.You can check the blue wires at the column connector or at the forward harness connector for voltage, with the key and the turn signal on.

You can also trouble shoot the dash lights and the front turns if you put a 12 volt jumper on the light and dark blue wires in the column connector. If the left and dash indicator lights light up. and the right, Dark blue wire, indicator and front turns light up then your problem is in the TSS.

Here's a little better diagram with gauges, the signal lights are on the right column on top and bottom. Just trace the lt blue and dk blue wires and you'll see the connectors and how they join together.

Name:  65_dash_w_gauges.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  116.6 KB

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 01-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
tc64

so it seems this nub is not as thick as the stock one was so it doesn't push the metal contacts in the tss far enough,when i push the contacts by hand everything works.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #7
tc64

so with a little bending of the metal tabs in the tss all is good.Thanks!, your input helped me track the problem to the switch.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc64 View Post
so with a little bending of the metal tabs in the tss all is good.Thanks!, your input helped me track the problem to the switch.
Your welcome I'm, always glad to help.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide