The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

I may leave the Chevrolet line .....

The new Ram outdoorsman sounds like a pick up truck I would want - and when I get out of college in two years and I have my 16 dollar an hour job, I think it should be a fairly affordable option for a guy who is starting out his life. Especailly for how much of a hard-core hunter and fisher-man I am.

Basically, my question is, how are the new Ram's? I reallly am not a fan of how they look, but the basic ruggedness of this pick up really just...I just want it. I wish Chevrolet would actually make a pick up for outdoorsman.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6703731/au...men/index.html
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)
1987 Toyota 4wd Pick-up - work in progress, future DD SOLD ($1,850)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad cab - old 12 valve with some work done
2004 Chevy Silverado - Black, 4x4, 5.3L, stock for now

Underneath that rust is a heart of gold
Benelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: I may leave the Chevrolet line .....

Looks like a lot of good marketing to me.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't dare put my hunting rifle in a bed box like that. Especially in a truck all marked up for the world to know there may be a rifle in a box on the outside of the truck, a box that looks like you could bust open with a screw driver.

Other than that, it's a sharp looking truck. Personally if I could afford or have a need for a full size and couldn't buy a GM, I'd buy a Ford F series truck before a Dodge.

I have two friends that had the big Dodge trucks, and they would just fall all apart around the drive train. The truck would run, but driving it you'd actually watch parts fall off. I borrowed one, and as I am driving - knobs were falling off the dash I rang up my bud on the cell, and asked him what the deal was with all this?!? He just said to collect them up and throw em in the glove box as if it was a common thing, as I opened the glove box it was full of broken knobs and interior parts that had fallen off in the past.

Those Dodges are a love em or hate em thing if you ask me.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
foamypirate

$16/hr won't go nearly as far as you would think. That's all I'll say about that.
foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
irishman999

New trucks are nice but after 6 months they lose that appeal and feel like any other vehicle I've driven. I compare the 07 sierra I recently drove to my 85 High Sierra and really enjoy the 85 alot more.

No job now is secure and car payments are hard to keep up on when you have no job, they take the truck and sell it to a buddy at an "auction" for a low price and you still owe that money. Its a very vicious cycle, ask me how I know about it!
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
gearys 5600

I have an 05 dodge ram 4x4 that has rust holes in both bed sides,doors are sagging,steering is sloppy,and is a rattle trap.. Oklahoma truck its entire life,77k miles. My 100k mile 06 ford 4x4 still looks and drives like the day I bought it new.. Anyone want to buy my Dodge? Its for sale..

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I never had a problem hunting and fishing out of whatever I had.I'd buy a new truck for the drivetrain and dependability record.You're doing the right thing by asking around.Talk to Dodge owners,but also talk to owners of the other brands.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Js Dad has a newer dodge (09 or so) and its in the shop more than its out. Sounds alot like my 96 I had
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Scratch resistant bumpers, but nothing about the scratch resistant paint for an outdoorsmen's truck... and other than the tool boxes, nothing that a few extra bucks and an endless selection of aftermarket goodies to make any model of truck, pretty well the same thing.

One piece of advice which was already mentioned above, new cars/trucks are nice, but a huge investment. With the marjority of vehicles selling for $30k+ (generally closer to the $40k for trucks) that is a major commitment especially for someone just starting out.

And I completely agree with vectorit... I wouldn't put any of my rifles or poles in the side boxes, easy target for the opportunity of theft. Anymore, there's fishing poles that cost more than most rifles, not for the average fisher like myself, but still. Bait, tackle boxes, poles, reels, etc. it adds up quick and that's a one stop shop for thieves, just my opinion.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 11-10-2010 at 08:47 AM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I never had a problem hunting and fishing out of whatever I had.
Very well said.

Too many marketing "gimics" in the U.S. car business these days. If they would spend half as much time engineering a better vehicle as they do coming up with the latest marketing crap then they would not be in the pitiful shape they find themselves in now.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
big_al_71

Good luck you will need it owning that.....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamypirate View Post
$16/hr won't go nearly as far as you would think. That's all I'll say about that.
exactly... I make slightly under that with a family of 4 to support and would never look at any new vehicle. Stick with used or well kept classic trucks if you need one.
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
LEEVON

I'm going to be blunt and it's fair game since you posted this in an open forum but your going to have fun paying bills let alone for a $40K truck that will be worth $17-20K in two years. Don't be in such a hurry to ruin your financial future by being a slave to debt.

Last edited by LEEVON; 11-10-2010 at 01:56 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Also look at the state of things.... the trend indicators show things getting much worse before it gets better, so hold off on any new vehicles for another 3-5 years...
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

[QUOTE=irishman999;4287381]New trucks are nice but after 6 months they lose that appeal and feel like any other vehicle I've driven. I compare the 07 sierra I recently drove to my 85 High Sierra and really enjoy the 85 alot more.

No job now is secure and car payments are hard to keep up on when you have no job, they take the truck and sell it to a buddy at an "auction" for a low price and you still owe that money. Its a very vicious cycle, ask me how I know about it![/QUOTE) this is when the insurance kicks in ,for some reason it got stolen

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Thumbs down Re: I may leave the Chevrolet line .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwillie 696969 View Post
this is when the insurance kicks in ,for some reason it got stolen
Q, I get your point... but that's insurance fraud.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #16
71swb4x4

www.daveramsey.com
Old 11-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

We no longer have Dodge trucks at work because they could not hold up. All of the stuff mentioned above, and we went through several tranny's. Whether or not the "new" trucks will have the same issues, we will find out in a few years. My opinion is that Dodge quality is not at an acceptable level yet for the cost of the vehicle.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

One piece of advice which was already mentioned above, new cars/trucks are nice, but a huge investment. With the marjority of vehicles selling for $30k+ (generally closer to the $40k for trucks) that is a major commitment especially for someone just starting out.

Not to be argumentative, new cars/trucks are not an investment, but rather a liability.
There are very, very few few new vehicles that appreciate in value.

Regardless of the marque you choose, I would stick with something used, & preferably something that can be purchased for cash, no payments.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #19
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

MY 2003 was a good vehicle. It sucked way more gas than my 96 GMC. I never had tranny issues, but the truck did blow both head gaskets and basically I had to have two new heads put on. Thank goodness for the warranty. Had it been used as a 1/2 ton truck before me, I think it may have done better. But the owner prior to me pulled WAY to big a camper for the truck/engine/tranny combo. All that said I put on almost 80,000 miles in 2 1/2 years with no other issues.

Like other have mentioned, I doubt I will ever buy a new vehicle again, especially a truck that will be used as a truck.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #20
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

When shopping for a new vehicle about 10 years ago, the consistent warning I read about was the automatic transmissions in Dodge trucks. They were the worst on the market and failed as early as 1500 miles. My boss had one at the time, and didn't have any transmission troubles, but had the front end replaced several times at dealer expense and constantly went through front tires. He finally traded it off for a new GMC since he had a relative working at the local GM dealer. They may or may not be better now, I haven't done any recent research.

Regardless of what you decide to drive, I agree with the others above. A new vehicle is a liability not an asset. Just starting out in life that kind of big money could be better invested for your future.

Last edited by markeb01; 11-10-2010 at 05:49 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #21
silverspeed04

I know a guy with a great tow truck. I would switch to a Superduty before I ever sat behind a wheel of a Dodge. The rifle compartment is just a way for people to have a reason to steal from you and the cops to stop you to check for loaded weapons. Dent resistant is an expensive way to say tupperware and the beefed up tires is just their way of saying you didnt get highway tires. For the price you pay for the options, you could buy a regular one and go to Walmart or whatever and get some A/T tires for about a grand less.

Stick to a bowtie so you dont ever have to call a bowtie to come get you. It will help you in the future both financially and morally.

Project Grinder: 1972 Chevy C10 Longbed
Mistress Jade: 2005 4WD Silverado 2500 Ex Cab 6.0
Miss Daisy: 2006 Kawasaki ZX6, full Akrapovic Race Pipe, PCIII, Ignition Control, Ivans block off plates, Motion Pro Throttle kit
Seduction: 2013 Harley Street Glide
silverspeed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #22
boatpuller

i think if you went to a dodge site you may get some different opinions.my knowledge is only in the diesel line.iv'e owned a super duty 250.that i used to haul a large boat for as much as 500 miles one way up some steep grades here out west.after being literally blown away up those hills buy dodge diesel's,and after spending more than a payment on a new one each month just to get it to start. i bought an 02 cummins 4x4.and it went up those same hills pulling that same large boat with half the effort.i sold the boat and made the mistake of buying a 2005 half ton chevy 4x4 crew cab with abou a short bed.that was no stranger to the shop.but,a comfortable truck..i don't think the japanese offer a real truck only half ton pickups.my 02 dodge never had a serious problem .i work with several cummins owners who will all attest to their dodges.my current 09.dodge is a beast towing a 13k 34 foot fifth wheel.as mentioned dodge did have some transmission issue's.which have been resolved several model years before.chevy and ford have had problems too.ever hear about gm piston slap?type it in some time.and read about the lawsuits for hours.they also had a steering issue in recent years.their diesel while now seems to be good took a few years to get right. ford has gone thru about 3 different diesel configurations in the past 10 years.point is they can all have problems.and everybody knows somebody.i can tell you as an actual owner.i'm am very pleased with dodge.i won't offer financial advice because i don't think it's any of my business.but,i would offer this.if you plan on using it like a truck for several years. look at a long box 3/4 ton or 1 ton 4 wheel drive,then you'll be able to do and haul whatever.i know people including myself who bought shortboxes on looks alone only to be restricted by bed length.and i think you got expected feedback about dodge on a chevy forum.

Last edited by boatpuller; 11-11-2010 at 09:50 AM.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #23
gearys 5600

I agree this is a chevy forum, But I own a dodge, 2-fords, jeep cherokee, and a couple of chevys..As soon as I sell MY dodge I wont be buying another one. The cummins engine is great, Its the rest of the truck that is Junk. jmo.

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #24
timjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
timjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #25
bigcow94
Snowfighter

my boss' neighbor just bought a '10 dodge ram half ton with the stow away boxes in the bed. they're nice but he's also retired and just keeps ratchet straps and what not in them. when i bought my '03 f250 back in 05 i was a slave to my truck payments. if i were you, like boatpuller said look into a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup. and don't buy a new truck buy one that's 3-4 years old. they're still new enough and you don't have to pay the crazy sticker price. i dont' know about you guys but around here a new diesel 3/4 or 1 ton is fetching around 45-55k! all brands have they're own flaws just what you're willing to deal with. unless you wanna put a cummins into a superduty
bigcow94 is offline   Reply With Quote