The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
JrJc66

Help Brake issue

Hello all. I have a 66 long bed c10 with 4 drum, manual brake system. I am in the processes of upgrading brake system to duel master cylinder. I have replaced the master cylinder, all brake lines, all wheel cylinders, all brake hardware, and all shoes. The issue that I am having is that I can not get the front brake to operate correctly. I bled all lines and have fluid coming out clear with no air bubbles at all for corners. Rear wheels lock up fine. Could I possibly have a bad master cylinder? Second question, is it possible to blow out the master cylinder if the push rod for the brake peddle is not adjusted correctly? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Btw, good news is that I was able to test drive the truck for the first time last week after purchasing it two years ago.
JrJc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Blue Heeler

Re: Help Brake issue

did you install a proportion valve? if you did then i would say it's the master cylinder.
Blue Heeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
JrJc66

I did not install a proportioning valve as it is my understanding that it is not needed in this case
Old 06-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrJc66 View Post
I did not install a proportioning valve as it is my understanding that it is not needed in this case
It is not needed.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:19 AM   #5
CRGRS 66

Which pot do you have connected to which brake system? The one closest to the firewall (rear of the vehicle) is for the front brakes. The forward most pot is for the rear brakes. If you have the rear pot connected to rear brakes, front pot to front brakes, this may be your issue.

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Mike Wessinger

Just to confirm, but did you adjust the brakes after you got all the new parts in the wheels? I did the same upgrade last year and thought my system was working pretty good. However, after my mechanic buddy spent a little time further adjusting the brakes for me, it worked a lot better.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
JrJc66

Thank for the input so far. I do have the front brakes plumbed to the firewall side of the master cylinder and rears to grill side. As far as adjusting, I did do this as well.