The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
Nobighurry

Serious question

So I have a 1970 C60 with a 24k GCVW, truck weighing probably in the 9k range (haven't weighed it yet). it has a 12' bed that I am about to add a dump hoist to. Here's my question, This old truck, while in very good shape (ex firetruck) has the single master cylinder brake system. My plan is to use the truck for hauling rock and other substrates here locally (mostly flat land). I had the brakes gone through, and they work pretty good for what they are, but I am concerned about them with a full load, safety being my greatest concern.
I know these trucks were workaholics back in the day, and I trust that, but still, they are antiquated brakes. Any thoughts? Should I be overly concerned?
Nobighurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:36 AM   #2
notsolo

Re: Serious question

Not the expert on this, but previous experience, mine was a "65" C60. 12' dump etc 10K empty. It had a hydrovac under the drivers seat, the brakes were good when it worked correctly. If the hydrovac failed it got hairy, and it never happens when it's empty....Hydrovac always had to be power bled also, normal brake bleeding did not seem to work, possibly because the remote location under seat.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
C10 - C90 Bill

It's a personal choice, but if it came that way from the factory, that is the way I would keep it. But I would always make sure the Brakes were up to standards and frequently check the Brake Fluid, not only for it's capacity, but for any tell-tale signs that you may have a leak somewhere. I would replace any cracked Hoses and/or rusty Metal Lines. Also, and very important, make sure you have your Emergency Brake in good working order. I would test stop with mine every once in a while.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Nobighurry

Thanks for the input. And yes, I am a huge believer in keeping this as close to original as possible. I am sure I will be more trusting in it after I run a few loads, but regular inspections will be necessary. I love the older trucks - for many reasons - and really want to put it back to work and not just use it for casual drives.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
C10 - C90 Bill

Interesting that you have mentioned "casual drives". I mentioned a time or two that I took my '71 9500 for a "cruise" one day. I was driving for a company and went to look for a coffee shop by the ocean in a quiet area. Could not find one anywhere so I decided to turn my coffee break into a 20 minute cruise instead. I've done a lot of cruising in antique and classic cars through the years, but cruising in the 9500 that time was one of my favorites, lol.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Nobighurry

Thats funny. I have had a few 'cruise' worthy vehicles over the years and besides the 1950 Ford f1 I had, this C60 is my favorite. I absolutely love driving it. Being that it is an ex-firetruck, still painted neon yellow, it gets alot of attention. I prefer to drive it over any other vehicle I own at the moment. No radio, no talking, just the roar of the engine, wind blowing in from the open windows. It's quite a ride.