The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
feller

Frame repair

I searched, couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone make a frame repair section for right above the rear axle? Mine was repaired poorly with a piece of 1/2 inch plate goober welded and I think there's a bolt in there (running parallel with the weld) to fill the gap, people SMH. I have found bolt in pieces made for lowering, but I want stock height or a little lower, not enough to need the cut away. I am planning on selling when done so don't want to screw the next guy
feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
rjs53

Re: Frame repair

Did they weld a plate on to the frame(fish plate) or replace a section? I don't know of any frame kits, but as you mentioned you could always C notch with a kit. I wouldn't see it as screwing the next guy and those C notch plates are 3/8" thick so pretty strong.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
michael bustamante

and there is always guys selling frame sections on the for sale section as well
Old 12-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
feller

Yeah they just fish plated it, doesn't appear like they removed the rot. I was thinking of c notching it, then the next guy could do whatever he wanted to with it. C notch, reinforce control arms, new stock springs, and bushings then they could do whatever they wanted. As mentioned the Kitsap seem strong enough. I have another frame that is bad in other places, but it's a k frame, and I was thinking about fixing it and reinforcing it for a future project or to sell as well, but time is the key factor for all things.
feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:22 AM   #5
burnin oil

If it is just the top of the C channel I would just go down to the bone yard and get a chunk of frame of the same thickness. cut out the bad section and weld the patch back in. Dont cut the whole frame, just the bad part of the C channel. Be sure to round the corners so that there are no 90 degree cuts. This should be plenty strong. Everyone will have an opinion on fish plating but I would not do that for a repair as I described. The rail should be plenty strong and still flex. The fish plating arguement could come up but think about this. If you only plate one side then the opposite rail cant flex the same and will also cause a stress area. Frames are welded every day without fish plates and this is one of those occasions that I would not. Guys will weld the whole frame front to rear, cut reliefs, and add brackets. Its only when the frame is cut into two pieces is when the plate issue even comes up. Heck most modern small truck frames are 2 pieces slid together then plug welded and stiched at the joining point. Holds up to a 1 ton diesel just fine.

Now if the above repair encompasses a spring hanger area then I would stick a plate on the inside of the frame to add a little security. I also abuse my trucks harder than the average guy. Extra power and used as a truck, not a cruiser is my style.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote