The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2018, 11:49 PM   #1
Desperado454

Low back bucket seat covers and foam

Hey guys, want to recover the seats in my truck and I'm looking for a good place to order the covers and foams from. See a couple places like lmc have them but wasn't sure if they'd be any good or not. Here's a pic of the style I need, but will be going with black covers instead. Thanks
Attached Images

'28 Model A Build

-Brooks
Desperado454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:11 AM   #2
dragonball98312

Re: Low back bucket seat covers and foam

I need foam as well for mine
dragonball98312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:54 AM   #3
Jaysonb

I need foam and upholstery for a set I have as well. I noticed in a classic parts catalog I was looking at, the foam is about $190 per seat, and the upholstery is $240 for the set. A little more $ than I was hoping to spend!
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado454 View Post
Hey guys, want to recover the seats in my truck and I'm looking for a good place to order the covers and foams from. See a couple places like lmc have them but wasn't sure if they'd be any good or not. Here's a pic of the style I need, but will be going with black covers instead. Thanks
covers here:

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...017300501.html

As far as foam, I don't believe foam is available for the buckets you have posted. Yours is a 75-77? Your best bet, is to repair the foam you have.

Last edited by TKCR; 03-31-2018 at 08:08 AM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:56 AM   #5
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysonb View Post
I need foam and upholstery for a set I have as well. I noticed in a classic parts catalog I was looking at, the foam is about $190 per seat, and the upholstery is $240 for the set. A little more $ than I was hoping to spend!
The foam that Classic Parts has, is for this style of low back buckets
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 03-31-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
Desperado454

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
covers here:

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...017300501.html

As far as foam, I don't believe foam is available for the buckets you have posted. Yours is a 75-77? Your best bet, is to repair the foam you have.
Yeah, those look like the ticket! Back ordered though, wonder what kind timeline they'd be on. Any tips on repairing the foam? The one in the picture is probably saveable but the bottom foam on the drivers side is pretty roached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysonb View Post
The covers are reasonable enough but its those damn foams that really sting. I was going to recover these seats when i first got them but lost my motivation when i saw the price of the foam. Be nice if they just sold the bottoms

'28 Model A Build

-Brooks
Old 03-31-2018, 10:13 PM   #7
Desperado454

Searched around a little bit and sure enough only see that one style of foam available. Wonder if it would still work for the style of covers i want though, i'd imagine the side creases would still line up and you'd just ignore the middle part.
Attached Images

'28 Model A Build

-Brooks
Old 04-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
TKCR

The foam can be repaired by cutting out the bad section. Using a spray glue specifically for foam, you can glue a new section in. Then the foam will need to be shaped like the original contours of the seat. Best place to get foam, is from JoAnn Fabrics. They have dense foam in big green sheets at thicknesses from 1"-5". They can cut whatever you need, you don't have to buy the whole sheet. In they 2nd pic, you can see they green sheets of foam on the top shelf.
If you look up how to videos on YouTube, you will get the idea on how to repair.

This is the spray glue I use. I've tried different kinds and this has been the best so far.

http://www.miamicorp.com/default.asp...13&parent=2736
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #9
Desperado454

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
The foam can be repaired by cutting out the bad section. Using a spray glue specifically for foam, you can glue a new section in. Then the foam will need to be shaped like the original contours of the seat. Best place to get foam, is from JoAnn Fabrics. They have dense foam in big green sheets at thicknesses from 1"-5". They can cut whatever you need, you don't have to buy the whole sheet. In they 2nd pic, you can see they green sheets of foam on the top shelf.
If you look up how to videos on YouTube, you will get the idea on how to repair.

This is the spray glue I use. I've tried different kinds and this has been the best so far.

http://www.miamicorp.com/default.asp...13&parent=2736
Well after seeing how you fix up those bench seats, figured i'd order up some covers and try to fix up the foam I have. The foam was actually pretty decent other than the drivers bottom which had the typical collapsed left bolster and a couple of worn spots from my ass sliding over the exposed foam due to the shredded seat cover. So i filled in the ass grooves and tried to rebuild the bolster and it came out so-so. I ended up swapping the seats side to side in an effort to retire that soggy bolster from the abuse of me getting in and out. Only crappy part was that I ended up ordering the covers from LMC thinking that they sold the same covers as everyone else, but alas they were a little different. I had my heart set on the original style covers, but these still looked alright and ended up fitting decent enough, so it is what it is. Pics of the cover difference and the end result:
Attached Images

'28 Model A Build

-Brooks
Old 04-15-2018, 01:16 AM   #10
dragonball98312

This has me curious. Are 73-74 buckets different than a 75-77? I have one 74 and one 76 and the 76 seems a hair taller
Old 04-15-2018, 01:16 AM   #11
dragonball98312

Seats turned out great btw
Old 04-15-2018, 05:49 AM   #12
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado454 View Post
Well after seeing how you fix up those bench seats, figured i'd order up some covers and try to fix up the foam I have. The foam was actually pretty decent other than the drivers bottom which had the typical collapsed left bolster and a couple of worn spots from my ass sliding over the exposed foam due to the shredded seat cover. So i filled in the ass grooves and tried to rebuild the bolster and it came out so-so. I ended up swapping the seats side to side in an effort to retire that soggy bolster from the abuse of me getting in and out. Only crappy part was that I ended up ordering the covers from LMC thinking that they sold the same covers as everyone else, but alas they were a little different. I had my heart set on the original style covers, but these still looked alright and ended up fitting decent enough, so it is what it is. Pics of the cover difference and the end result:

Wow!! Those turned out great!! Got to admit, they look way better than the worn out covers.