The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
SFTorange

The Brown Truck

Hi All,

After spending a TON of time reading and learning on the forum, I'm finally ready to start a build thread. In October of this year I began disassembly of my 1966 C20 LWB Fleetside. The truck was a 3/4 ton with a factory 283/SM420 and Eaton HO52 rear with 4.56:1 gears. The truck was purchased new in Bozeman, MT by the parents of my dad's stepfather. My parents bought the truck from them in the mid 80's, and I have a ton of childhood memories from this truck. My mom drove it as her daily driver for a number of years until a bad clutch put it into the field at my parent's house.

Fast forward to 2002 when I was a senior in high school. I decided that I'd have a new clutch put in the brown truck and drive it to school. After that I was hooked. I spent most of a year chasing down small mechanical problems. Every time I'd fix what was broken, the next weakest link would fail.

Finally, after my Dad installed a new HEI distributor, Edelbrock intake, and Holley carb for me as a surprise, we got the truck running strong. I was in heaven as I drove the truck to work on the morning of my high school graduation. On the way home from my job as a greens keeper at the local golf course, the next weakest link failed: the 283. Needless to say, this truck has broken my heart several times.

I spent the summer mowing at the golf course to save up enough money to have a mild 350 rebuilt. I installed the engine outside in January of the following winter and drove the truck for the next year.

After that, I installed a Turbo 350 into the truck but got only a little further. The truck sat for about 5 years waiting until I finally had the time and resources to move forward. That time finally came in March of this year when we pulled the truck from Missoula, MT to Billings, MT where I now live.

I was able to get the truck running, and drove it for most of the summer. This fall, I finally decided to take the plunge and tear the truck down.

Here are some pics of what I started with (sorry, but I'm a terrible photographer):
Attached Images

SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote