The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
parb

My next project a bit off topic

Hi all,

This is a bit off topic since my next project isn't a blazer nor a Jimmy. But this forum and this group has been so helpful to me that I wanted to share a bit with you all on my next project.

I have a 1942 GM (Yes , General Motors) heavy motorcycle. It's a 1942 GM motorcycle, built by the factory in Stockholm during the war years when GM couldn't ship engines and truck bodies Iver the Atlantic. The swedish GM factory which open up in 1927 was setup to do final fitout and upholstery of GM cars and trucks but during the war they reconfigured to create domestic products.

What is truly unique is that this is an electric motorcycle. It runs on 36volt. Back in the day they used six 6volt batteries for power.

There are two known survivors of these motorcycles although I've heard rumors of a third one in a collection. One is in the technology museum of Sweden in Stockholm. One is mine.

A bit off topic but I hope you all would enjoy seeing something different.
Attached Images

parb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
parb

Re: My next project a bit off topic

Let me know if you want to see some more pictures. It's truly unique. Tube frame, electric engine with chain drive over the front wheel.

It got damaged in shipping so I have to fix her up a bit. Second time I'm restoring the GM bike, first time was with my dad 25 years ago.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
67swb72klb

Yes more on this!! That is a very cool piece of history.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
parb

I'll take her out of the garage and get some fresh pictures taken this afternoon.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
truckster

Wow, and it's front wheel drive. That alone makes it unusual.

What are your plans for it?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
parb

It got scratched and dented in shipping. Broke a couple of the position lights and the side panel is dented pretty badly. I plan to repair those and i suspect i probably need to repaint it. I had to get rid of the lead acid batteries during shipping so i will replace those so she drives. I will build or source a charger for the battery bank. Need new tires.

I never liked the color on the side panels. They are close to the color of the engine (which was original) but not an exact match. if i have to respray the sides i would like to make it a better match.

The history:
We spent 10 years on the original restoration because all we had was frame and some seriously bad panels. it was posted as an "project" ad in a local historical car monthly magazine in sweden. My dad saw the ad and called right away -he told me he remembered those bikes from his youth (he was born during the war years). It was the real barn find, a heap of rust and non-functioning stuff -but it was all there... The engine was dead. I remember as a teenager i was sitting at the kitchen table building spokes for the tires by hand. It had the original serial number (now we use vin plates).

A lot of work took place, but my dad being a single father of four (i'm the oldest) had only time here and there to work on the project. My mom had passed away in cancer many years earlier and as my siblings became teenagers this was his evening and weekend project.

I left for the US (on a one year assigment for the US company i was working at) in 1997, about 5 years into the restoration. It was not quite ready for first drive. I ended up meeting my wife in california and never went back home to sweden. My father completed the project in 2001 and had it registered for on-road use. Everytime i came home for a visit i went out and took a look at the GM -it was my fathers pride.

My siblings didn't have the same bond to it as i had so when he passed they would sell it rather than keep it. I ended up inheriting it in 2013 and i just had it shipped to california after procrastinating for the longest (my sister let me put it in her garage).

Long story, but i thought the back story was important to share -and how it ended up in california.

A few more pictures from this afternoon.
Attached Images

Last edited by parb; 03-24-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
parb

The right fender is bent and the frame is scratched up. Both the rear license plate holder and the position light is smashed. the steering crown in bent. Its a mess -but can be fixed.

In this picture you can see the battery tray. I need to replace the leather. Also pictured are the electrical controls for 36V DC.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #8
parb

Start and brakes are foot operated. There is hand operated speed control (kind of like a thumb throttle). I had the throttle removed from the steering to make sure it didn't get dinged up due to the bent crown.

I like that the original license plate is still on the bike... Its one of those things that i think matter greatly.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #9
rsavage

Very cool. Keep us posted as you make her pretty again.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #10
parb

Serial number 150. Back in the day they would have a brass plate with the owners name and home county/town listed on the serial number tag. My dad put his name on a brass plate and had it mounted. I think i'll keep it.

Translating for you:
TYP = Model, the model is ELC-10 (electric cycle number 10)
Tillver. Nr. = Serial number. This is serial number 195.
Motor Nr = Engine serial number. This is also serial number 195
The its the owners brass plate.

After this it states maximum load on it: (MAX LAST) 200KG or about 400lbs
Max Hast = Maximum speed. 40KM/hr in cities and 50KM/hr outside cities.

General Motors Nordiska AB = Translates to General Motors Nordic Inc.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #11
parb

This is the inside of the damaged side. It clearly shows how something landed on top of the fender and bent it and the sheetmetal. I hope it won't be too difficult to straighten out.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #12
parb

oh, and california doesn't allow motorcycles to be registered if they are imported from overseas. But that is a smog law. Since this is a zero emission vehicle i think i should be able to title and register it. The law states that vehicles under 1,000watt doesn't need to be registered. I doubt this is 1,000watt but i don't know. I plan to take her to DMV and see what they say.

EPA and customs on the other hand was super easy. No issue what so ever to import the bike, processed in 48 hours once the container got to new jersey. I was surprised, i expected more headaches with the fed.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #13
truckster

Cool machine and really cool story. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #14
67swb72klb

Thanks for the pics what a great story. Too bad about the damage
Old 03-24-2019, 11:04 PM   #15
Wyo George

This is amazing, absolutely please share as much as you will of the build. I'm a certified motorcycle nut, own a motorcycle shop and do a bit of restoration work, but nothing as cool as this.

Thanks for sharing.
Wyo George is offline   Reply With Quote