The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
PGG

Should I worry about my new GM crate engine?

I put a new GM SP383 crate engine in my 72 K5 Blazer last year I have about 700 miles on it so I am still breaking it in. I am worried because it still is spitting what I think is oil from the duel tail pipes. I am assuming the rings are not seated yet but shouldn't they be by now? It is running a little rich so maybe its unburned fuel but is it something I should be worrying about? Any suggestions? Thanks PG
PGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Should I worry about my new GM crate engine?

I'll be the first to say that I'm no engine whiz. With that said, I would get that rich condition taken care pretty quickly. The extra fuel could be washing down the cylinders, making it difficult for the rings to seat properly.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
PGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I'll be the first to say that I'm no engine whiz. With that said, I would get that rich condition taken care pretty quickly. The extra fuel could be washing down the cylinders, making it difficult for the rings to seat properly.
Thank you that is kind of what I was thinking I have had it rejected once and going to redo again soon. PG
Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
litebulblsc

I would suggest finding a local mechanic to take a look and get his opinion. Just stop into a small local shop and see if someone is able to take a quick look without having to drop it off or pay anything. But if it is engine oil, it should not be coming out your tail pipe
litebulblsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #5
PGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulblsc View Post
I would suggest finding a local mechanic to take a look and get his opinion. Just stop into a small local shop and see if someone is able to take a quick look without having to drop it off or pay anything. But if it is engine oil, it should not be coming out your tail pipe

Yes I will see the guy who installed it tomorrow he is a good guy I am sure he can figure it out. It is not smoking at all so I guess that is good. PG
Old 03-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
mister.freeze

My stroker would put out a lot of water but never oil. the higher compression should prevent any oil from getting through the valves even if the rings aren't seated. I always had a bit coming from the valve cover breathers though.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
cleszkie

Identifying the liquid that is coming out your exhaust is the first step. Is it really oil? Is it raw fuel? Is it water (condensation) mixed with carbon particles? Or is it coolant mixed with carbon particles? Figure this out first and go from there.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote