The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
roll_the_dice

Wiring entire truck

OK, so I am to the point of rewiring the entire truck. I bought a whole wiring kit from American Auto Wire. I have the engine out of the truck and the bed off the truck, so everything should be easily accessible. Any advice or how to's out there?

I don't mind doing a lot of things, but wiring kind of seems like a daunting task. I assume I need to take out all the old wiring then start at the new fuse box and go from there? Any advice would be appreciated. Or if anyone is near the Savannah, GA area and want to help or trade help for powder coat work...come forward.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Wiring entire truck

Man, I'm a wiring fool but I wish I were near you I need some powder-coating.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

The AAW Classic update install is real easy, be sure to get the crimped also. Remove the seat also, take your time and start under the dash.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

Remove the gauge panel.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
The AAW Classic update install is real easy, be sure to get the crimped also. Remove the seat also, take your time and start under the dash.
I was wondering about taking the seat out! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Remove the gauge panel.
I have the gauge panel out and rebuilt...so when it stops raining, I will get the old wire out. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
Heater63

AAW kit is great. (Classic Upgrade for me, I had lots of mods)
Buy the crimper.
Solder the crimps too.
Follow the instructions.
Expect slow progress.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
earl84

Never rewired an entire truck before, and I bought the AAW Classic update kit. Great directions on their own, but I did call once for some tech help. Super helpful.
I took my time, soldered/shrinkwrapped all connections. No electrical gremlins in 3 years. Well worth it.You can do it. It took me probably almost 6 full days, but I was a total noob. Could probably do the next one in half that time.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
doobiebro

I wired a panel and a stepper in the past. Like mentioned start in the cab and take your time. Purchase a double barrel crimper for the perfect crimps. One suggestion would be to have the engine mounted so you can measure your lengths on the wiring. Have fun!
66 GMC Long bed fleet side 305 V-6
77 C-20 Custom Deluxe (Blue Goose)
doobiebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
PGSigns

Having the crimpers before you start is important. A good pair wire strippers is also a must. Read over all the instructions a couple of times. They are really well done. I like to lay it all out on a table and sort the bags and make sure it is all there. Take your time and you will be fine.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
Macdaddy1

So what is a good pair of crimpers at a reasonable price?
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #11
PGSigns

The crimpers are very specific for the packard ends. I got mine off ebay or you can get them from AAW.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Remove the gauge panel.
That is a work of art! If mine looks half that good I will be happy.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #13
roll_the_dice

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips. Keep em coming.

On the engine being installed or not...if I wire the cab and tail/brake lights....I can finish the front after the engine is in or should I just finish up engine bay then wire the truck?
Old 12-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
earl84

You can do a lot of stuff without having the engine installed, in fact, it may mark some parts much easier. Wiring from the alternator over to the starter, on mine, I ran on the back side of the front crossmember. So that would be super nice to not have the engine installed. Just leave the wire extra long so you have plenty of fudge factor. I’d advise you to be very careful when you open the “Engine” bag to keep track of everything a,d tape the bag back up so you don’t lose anything. If you’re at a good point in your project and want to get started wiring, I’d say go for it.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #15
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl84 View Post
You can do a lot of stuff without having the engine installed, in fact, it may mark some parts much easier. Wiring from the alternator over to the starter, on mine, I ran on the back side of the front crossmember. So that would be super nice to not have the engine installed. Just leave the wire extra long so you have plenty of fudge factor. I’d advise you to be very careful when you open the “Engine” bag to keep track of everything a,d tape the bag back up so you don’t lose anything. If you’re at a good point in your project and want to get started wiring, I’d say go for it.
Thanks Earl that helps! My buddy who is helping me install the engine and A/C said I should do it without the engine installed...just wanted to make sure. The only thing I really need to do on the engine bay is paint the firewall "light green #503" as a nod to the original color. Going to do the firewall and underside of the hood in the light green. Most everything else up front is done. So I will get the firewall painted in the next week and in the meantime get the old wire out and get the seat out of the truck to get started.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #16
chevyrestoguy

I did the AAW Classic Update harness in my '64. Excellent kit.

A few tips:
1): Start by mounting the fuse panel first. Then, get your firewall feedthru connectors mounted. The rubber grommet can be a little stiff when you pop the plastic connector through it, so lube it with a little Vaseline or silicone spray. Once you get these installed, read the wire labels and segregate the interior wires to where they go (route the dimmer switch harness to the dimmer switch, the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch to their destinations, but don't connect anything yet because you're just routing the wires. Right now, you're positioning the harness behind the dash from side to side. Once you get it relatively centered, then temporarily zip-tie the main harness trunk into place. Buy a big pack of zipties. You'll be securing and cutting out zip ties and redressing the harness as you go. Once you've got everything laying where it's going to go, then pick a connector closest to the fuse box and start working your way over to the passenger side, installing it permanently. Once the interior is done, move to the engine compartment and do the same thing. Get the harness into position before you start permanently installing it. Don't look at the entire kit and get intimidated. Separate it into 3 groups. Interior, engine, and taillights. When you start working each section, be patient and just work each section one at a time. It'll get done.

2): Buy a good set of crimpers that will do the Packard 56 terminals. You can find crimper kits that do multiple types of terminals with replaceable die sets, including Packard 56 and even GM Weatherpaks.

3): Find an automotive electrical supply house on-line and save the webpage. The chances are, you may need to order more 56 terminals (male and female), heat shrink, and connectors.

4): DO NOT FORGET YOUR GROUNDS! SO MANY people forget this! Make sure to ground (with jumper wires) your engine to the chassis, the cab to the chassis, and the bed to the chassis. You can buy lugged jumpers in varying lengths, or you can have your local NAPA make you some out of copper lugs and battery cable. Make sure you strip the paint back to bare metal at every attach point.

5): Take your time! Wiring is one area where a little bit of attention to detail goes a LONG way. Nothing turns me off quicker than a shoddy wiring job. Remember, bad wiring will strand you EVERY time.

You got this, roll_the-dice!

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #17
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
I did the AAW Classic Update harness in my '64. Excellent kit.

A few tips:
1): Start by mounting the fuse panel first. Then, get your firewall feedthru connectors mounted. The rubber grommet can be a little stiff when you pop the plastic connector through it, so lube it with a little Vaseline or silicone spray. Once you get these installed, read the wire labels and segregate the interior wires to where they go (route the dimmer switch harness to the dimmer switch, the headlight switch, wiper switch, ignition switch to their destinations, but don't connect anything yet because you're just routing the wires. Right now, you're positioning the harness behind the dash from side to side. Once you get it relatively centered, then temporarily zip-tie the main harness trunk into place. Buy a big pack of zipties. You'll be securing and cutting out zip ties and redressing the harness as you go. Once you've got everything laying where it's going to go, then pick a connector closest to the fuse box and start working your way over to the passenger side, installing it permanently. Once the interior is done, move to the engine compartment and do the same thing. Get the harness into position before you start permanently installing it. Don't look at the entire kit and get intimidated. Separate it into 3 groups. Interior, engine, and taillights. When you start working each section, be patient and just work each section one at a time. It'll get done.

2): Buy a good set of crimpers that will do the Packard 56 terminals. You can find crimper kits that do multiple types of terminals with replaceable die sets, including Packard 56 and even GM Weatherpaks.

3): Find an automotive electrical supply house on-line and save the webpage. The chances are, you may need to order more 56 terminals (male and female), heat shrink, and connectors.

4): DO NOT FORGET YOUR GROUNDS! SO MANY people forget this! Make sure to ground (with jumper wires) your engine to the chassis, the cab to the chassis, and the bed to the chassis. You can buy lugged jumpers in varying lengths, or you can have your local NAPA make you some out of copper lugs and battery cable. Make sure you strip the paint back to bare metal at every attach point.

5): Take your time! Wiring is one area where a little bit of attention to detail goes a LONG way. Nothing turns me off quicker than a shoddy wiring job. Remember, bad wiring will strand you EVERY time.

You got this, roll_the-dice!
Thanks! much appreciated
Old 12-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #18
pdxhall

I am in the middle of installing the AAW kit and I completely agree with all of you. I might suggest to lay out and sort the different wire groupings [plugs] before installing the panel. I also remade the firewall mount so I could mount my cooling fan controller next to it. I highly recommend this kit.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #19
Spun Bearing

I am also in the midst of installing this kit. I like the wires being labeled.

I don't see mention in the instructions, but the black plastic box with the 2 spade connectors is the new horn relay to be relocated under the dash. Found this on their website.

My biggest problem is getting enough hours in a row to really get decent progress.
Spun Bearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #20
Robert Haas

I also used the AAW kit.

my trucks original wiring was a nightmare, I am amazed I did not have a fire.

Look at this mess

Name:  20180426_103523.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  20180426_104422.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  58.0 KB

So go ahead and completely gut your truck, it is not important where any of the old stuff was.

once gutted lay out the kit

Name:  autowire laid out.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  51.5 KB

Now read the instructions a couple times.

I put down the dynamat and then went to town.

Name:  20180427_173708.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  80.0 KB

Don't forget the nuetral safety switch. (A large purple wire) I did not have it hooked up and when I was ready to test everything the truck would not turn over. I freaked out and called the folks at AAW. They told me to calm down and go take care of the purple wire. (I just cut it) and the truck fired right up.

A couple nice options in the kit was the foot well interior lights. My wife loves those.
Robert Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #21
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I am in the middle of installing the AAW kit and I completely agree with all of you. I might suggest to lay out and sort the different wire groupings [plugs] before installing the panel. I also remade the firewall mount so I could mount my cooling fan controller next to it. I highly recommend this kit.
Looks good. I just need to find time to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun Bearing View Post
I am also in the midst of installing this kit. I like the wires being labeled.

I don't see mention in the instructions, but the black plastic box with the 2 spade connectors is the new horn relay to be relocated under the dash. Found this on their website.

My biggest problem is getting enough hours in a row to really get decent progress.

Good tip on the horn relay! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haas View Post
I also used the AAW kit.

my trucks original wiring was a nightmare, I am amazed I did not have a fire.

So go ahead and completely gut your truck, it is not important where any of the old stuff was.

once gutted lay out the kit

Now read the instructions a couple times.

I put down the dynamat and then went to town.

Don't forget the nuetral safety switch. (A large purple wire) I did not have it hooked up and when I was ready to test everything the truck would not turn over. I freaked out and called the folks at AAW. They told me to calm down and go take care of the purple wire. (I just cut it) and the truck fired right up.

A couple nice options in the kit was the foot well interior lights. My wife loves those.
That is about how my wiring looks like now. I actually had a spark several times when starting the truck under the dash...so this will be good.

Is your truck paint code #503 light green? That's what mine was originally..I am going to paint my firewall that color next week.

Good looking VW!
Old 12-22-2018, 12:08 AM   #22
Brad54

I installed one of their kits on my '57 wagon about 17 years ago, and about 8 or 9 years ago installed one of their kits on my '61 Suburban.
As everyone has already said, it's a high-quality kit for sure, and relatively simple to install.
One thing I would add is this: When I installed mine, they came with plastic dash light sockets to replace the metal originals.
I had a hard time keeping mine in the back of the instrument cluster in the Suburban. For the next one, i will re-use the original metal light bulb sockets. It looks like the wire will install just like the plastic ones in the kit. (I've even scavenged original sockets out of some junkyard trucks to keep around, and eventually install them on the Suburban when I rebuild that truck).
If you like buying tools, get yourself a little butane torch for the heat-shrink tubing. Soooooo much easier than a Bic lighter.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #23
The Rocknrod

If you have the sockets and want to rewire them without but splices you can use these - https://www.repairconnector.com/lamp...ctor-bulk-100/
Old 12-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #24
Johns 66

Andy...your truck and mine must be on a similar time line..lol. I just received my AAW Classic Update kit...I bought it on a black Friday sale and save a decent amount....Wished I has known about the crimpers before I bought so I could have gotten them at the same time...….I know you can do this!!!!!
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #25
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Andy...your truck and mine must be on a similar time line..lol. I just received my AAW Classic Update kit...I bought it on a black Friday sale and save a decent amount....Wished I has known about the crimpers before I bought so I could have gotten them at the same time...….I know you can do this!!!!!
Awesome John! It will be good to talk when we both start and compare notes!
We are going to upstate NY for Christmas (tomorrow) for my wife's family. When I get back (January 2nd), I am painting the firewall and starting the wiring harness. I ended up buying a set of crimpers on ebay...hope they work! You can still rent them from AAW, but I am such a procrastinator I didn't want to be bound by a timeline to return them.