The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
cheyenne shortstep

American Truck magazine & LMC

Have any of you seen this magazine? As much as I dislike LMC for the mass distribution of crap parts, total lack of customer service, etc. I saw this mag at the store and thumbed thru it, it made me realize that maybe LMC is doing a good job of helping folks see their dream truck come to a reality.
It was story after story of restored/custom trucks and the history of the owners. Some one owner/family trucks and the history behind them, really grasped the passion we have for our trucks and the bond between generations and trucks passed down from one to another. The down side [to me ] was the LMC logo on every page ha-ha. I think I will go back and buy a copy anyways because I really love classic trucks and the history behind them or the driving force of a project.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Tinkermc

Re: American Truck magazine & LMC

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
BrianG

I have not seen the magazine yet, only the new LMC catalog. Lately I've been thinking that all of the hate towards LMC should be reconsidered. I'd bet that most of us have ordered from them at least once in the past. Have all of them turned out bad? Well, not for me. Yes, I understand that they do sell some rather "cheap" parts. Truth is though, many of those parts are the exact same thing that we would find from any other vender (not always, I know!) and they also have parts that I have not seen from any other vender.

I'll say this; If it weren't for LMC I wouldn't have even considered the idea of being able to find parts for these old trucks many, many years ago. Perhaps they have fallen off in recent years, but I still believe that they deserve a lot of credit for the preservation of our trucks, for starting the seeds of this hobby for probably thousands of us, and for helping even more of us find some obscure hard to find part.

I don't know, maybe its the cold making me delirious but the attitude in general on this board seems to be a sour. I've learned a lot from this forum and would hope to think that it doesn't turn into a good ole boys club (no offence ladies) and a bash fest for those that don't belong.
... okay, sorry off my soap box now... continue on as you were.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

I support both LMC and Board Vendors....Never had a problem with either.......

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
Lou Boffa

I'm with Smitty. I've used lots of vendors, LMC amongst them. Early on I made some real errors in parts ordering and they exchanged, credited etc each time, sometimes paying for my mistakes. They're good folks...imo.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
kray59

Cool Re: American Truck magazine & LMC

i have also had no problem with them that wasn't fixed to my satisfaction .

Beware the man who only owns 1 rifle , he probably knows how to use it.
kray59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
NobleSix

ill hafta go look for that issue. i too enjoy reading the stories you folks put up here about your trucks. i always love reading stories similar to the kind mr. seymore shares with us. keith, if you wrote a book, id buy it!

R.I.P. Corey "Flattus Maximus" Smoot 11/3/11
You will be missed. Your sound lives on.
NobleSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
JointTech

you can see it at lmctrucklife.com as well. submit your story etc. Then they can market chinese crap to other suckers that see your fancy truck in all seriousness LMC has some real crap but they also have stuff nobody else has and their catalog is awesome.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
slomotion
Old Duffer

I used LMC quite a lot and only had one occasion to return an item. No hassle, no problem. Another thing to consider is LMC's catalog diagrams can be an excellent quick reference on how things go together. I like to use parts suppliers from this site, but when I couldn't get the item through them, LMC came through.
Just my $.02.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
Rust_phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I have not seen the magazine yet, only the new LMC catalog. Lately I've been thinking that all of the hate towards LMC should be reconsidered. I'd bet that most of us have ordered from them at least once in the past. Have all of them turned out bad? Well, not for me. Yes, I understand that they do sell some rather "cheap" parts. Truth is though, many of those parts are the exact same thing that we would find from any other vender (not always, I know!) and they also have parts that I have not seen from any other vender.

I'll say this; If it weren't for LMC I wouldn't have even considered the idea of being able to find parts for these old trucks many, many years ago. Perhaps they have fallen off in recent years, but I still believe that they deserve a lot of credit for the preservation of our trucks, for starting the seeds of this hobby for probably thousands of us, and for helping even more of us find some obscure hard to find part.
I don't know, maybe its the cold making me delirious but the attitude in general on this board seems to be a sour. I've learned a lot from this forum and would hope to think that it doesn't turn into a good ole boys club (no offence ladies) and a bash fest for those that don't belong.
... okay, sorry off my soap box now... continue on as you were.
Well said BrianG, there is a lot of sour grapes on this forum towards LMC I personally have received nothing but stellar service from them so far, they have sent me exactly what I have ordered and the product they sent was just as good as many other vendors out there, maybe I'm lucky, but I will be buying from them again.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Boffa View Post
I'm with Smitty. I've used lots of vendors, LMC amongst them. Early on I made some real errors in parts ordering and they exchanged, credited etc each time, sometimes paying for my mistakes. They're good folks...imo.
Right there with you all.....LMC has always been decent for me and I have ordered a lot of stuff from them. I only returned one item because of poor quality and they took it back with no problems.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Well,I don't like LMC for my own reasons (quite a few),not because I'm blindly following the heard. They are a mass marketing firm so that's how everyone has known they can get parts. There are companies that make better soda pop than Coca Cola and better hamburgers that McDonalds,just as there are better vendors to buy parts from. If you're happy with LMC,then fine,but if you look round and be more resourceful you can do better. Not posting to bash LMC,just explaining there is another side...not just,"You don't like them? Hey,me too!"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
John Gilbert

Putting the latest issue of American Truck together was a lot of fun. Its a little different take on the truck scene than what we do at Classic Trucks, or Custom Classic Trucks.

American Truck was my very first freelance project when I resigned my editorship from Custom Classic Trucks, i've worked on every issue of AT since its launch in 2009. As of 11/11/13 I'm back on staff at Classic Trucks as tech editor, and it looks like Ryan Manson editor of CCT will continue as the editor-in-chief of American Truck, and I'll serve as its editor.

Thanks a lot,

John G.
John Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
cheyenne shortstep

I think some of you might have taken this the wrong way, I did not intend this to be a thread bashing LMC but rather to bring attention to the magazine. I should have kept my opinion to myself.
I did not get a chance to pick up a copy but will today, looks like some good reading. I think they captured the passion we share of the trucks that we love [as well as Ford & Dodge owners]JK.
Either way check it out, and yes LMC has made it possible for a large number of truck enthusiasts to see their dream truck become a reality.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne shortstep View Post
I think some of you might have taken this the wrong way, I did not intend this to be a thread bashing LMC but rather to bring attention to the magazine. I should have kept my opinion to myself.
I did not get a chance to pick up a copy but will today, looks like some good reading. I think they captured the passion we share of the trucks that we love [as well as Ford & Dodge owners]JK.
Either way check it out, and yes LMC has made it possible for a large number of truck enthusiasts to see their dream truck become a reality.
You did a great job of describing what American Truck magazine is all about, better than I could have done myself. Please don't ever keep your opinion to yourself, even it were to say that John Gilbert guy writes some real corny stuff.

An honest gripe is cool, but I don't care for bashing any company because its something that can affect a person's job. That I said, I guess everything comes out in the wash.

I don't know if any of you guys have read it, but I do a weekly blog for Eastwood called the West Coast Report. I was amazed to see Eastwood leaves even most negative posts up, and then other customers will jump in and say the guy is right or full of BS.

All of you did a really great job of expressing your feelings, and I'm impressed.

And if you do see the new issue of American Truck, and want to express that it stinks, or was a good read, that's OK too.

Thanks,

John G.
John Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote