The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Avalance1

Align Hood HELP please

I need help with aligning my hood it bumps in the rear see pic
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Avalance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
beetle1960

Re: Align Hood HELP please

appears it needs to come to the passenger side a little, what is the gap like on the drivers side? you should have some side to side adjustment where it bolts to the hood...Then bring the back down by rocking the front of the hinges up.
1970 Chevy C10 Fleet Long
1972 Chevy C10 Step long
1985 Chevy K10 Fleet Short
beetle1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Hardesty454

When setting the front clip always start with the doors, then fenders, then cowl and of course hood last. If all is set except the hood, loosen all 4 bolts, find some one small enough to fit in there and then close the hood until almost shut. then set it close and have the person SNUG them. Then you can open it up to let the person out

After, get it as best you can and then slowly open the hood and tighten the bolts.

Specifically here it looks like it needs to be kicks toward the front of the truck and pulled toward the pass side on the rear. More pictures may help but thats where Id try.

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardesty454 View Post
When setting the front clip always start with the doors, then fenders, then cowl and of course hood last. If all is set except the hood, loosen all 4 bolts, find some one small enough to fit in there and then close the hood until almost shut. then set it close and have the person SNUG them. Then you can open it up to let the person out

After, get it as best you can and then slowly open the hood and tighten the bolts.

Specifically here it looks like it needs to be kicks toward the front of the truck and pulled toward the pass side on the rear. More pictures may help but thats where Id try.
OK....[step 1] Find a troll.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalance1 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Rob is right, start with the doors first. The gaps should be the same width all the way around AND since the door is framed by the cab structure they set the gap width on every other panel. Once the door gaps are uniform, move to one fender and fiddle with that until it's perfect. The fender on the opposite side is next, then the cowl. I did grille next because my truck is a 67 but that could be done last. then hood. Be patient. This takes time. It took three days to fit my truck. When you are done if your as anal as I am the results should look like this:
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
seaflea

looks to me like youre hood springs arent seating. they may need to be replaced or adjusted.
seaflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
kxmotox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Rob is right, start with the doors first. The gaps should be the same width all the way around AND since the door is framed by the cab structure they set the gap width on every other panel. Once the door gaps are uniform, move to one fender and fiddle with that until it's perfect. The fender on the opposite side is next, then the cowl. I did grille next because my truck is a 67 but that could be done last. then hood. Be patient. This takes time. It took three days to fit my truck. When you are done if your as anal as I am the results should look like this:
Good advice. About to start this game with mine. Your gaps look great. The lighter the body color, the more you see the gaps.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Cape Codder

When you get to fitting the hood, adjusting the hinge by rocking the front up or the rear down will make the hood go down in the rear up in the rear and down in the front will raise it. Whenever you adjust the rear up or down it will move forward or back also. So first get the hood level with the cowl . when you move the right side forward it will move the front to the left and vise versa so be patient and make small adjustments. It is easier to fit with the hood latch removed as it should fit without the latch pulling it. The goal is to get the hhod level with the cowl and an even gap in the rear. You might have to move the radiator support to even the front of the fender gaps. Latch goes back in when everything fits.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
When you get to fitting the hood, adjusting the hinge by rocking the front up or the rear down will make the hood go down in the rear up in the rear and down in the front will raise it. Whenever you adjust the rear up or down it will move forward or back also. So first get the hood level with the cowl . when you move the right side forward it will move the front to the left and vise versa so be patient and make small adjustments. It is easier to fit with the hood latch removed as it should fit without the latch pulling it. The goal is to get the hhod level with the cowl and an even gap in the rear. You might have to move the radiator support to even the front of the fender gaps. Latch goes back in when everything fits.
Don't give away ALL of the secrets. That hinge thing is the magic that allows you to fit the hood! Now everybody knows how to do it.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
elburroverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalance1 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
make sure you have the side bumpers
elburroverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburroverde View Post
make sure you have the side bumpers

Welcome to the truck board!

I realize this is a good tip for anyone, but the OP hasn't been on the board since 02-12-2014 so he probably won't see it....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
WorkinLonghorn

What a coincidence, I have the same problem and was debating whether or not to look like a total newb and start a thread, or figure it out myself.
I tried loosening the 3 bolts (there is a forth somewhere?) and using a mallet, I could not get the hinge to go down any. So the front of the hinge needs to come down? I'll try that. My hood is about 1/2" or more too high in the back. -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #13
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Hey Leon he may have just taken a beer break .
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
What a coincidence, I have the same problem and was debating whether or not to look like a total newb and start a thread, or figure it out myself.
I tried loosening the 3 bolts (there is a forth somewhere?) and using a mallet, I could not get the hinge to go down any. So the front of the hinge needs to come down? I'll try that. My hood is about 1/2" or more too high in the back. -BA
Read this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=769315

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRMW View Post
Hey Leon he may have just taken a beer break .
He should be one drunk guy by now....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote