The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2014, 02:22 AM   #1
cjlloyd81

1972 Chevrolet P30 Motorhome

Not sure if this is in the right place or not, if not please feel free to move it.

I'd like to introduce myself to the pre-72 crowd... I currently have and am active with my 86 GMC C3500 but my wife and I just picked up a 1972 Chevrolet P30 Motorhome.

We've got a few more pictures I'll post in the coming days but heres ones of the motorhome and another of the freshly rebuilt (did it myself) Quadrajet on the engine (haven't even looked close enough to tell if its a 350 or a 400/402.

I got it from work for nothing, because it didn't run. It's amazing how much better an engine runs when it's getting gasoline... someone had installed a second tank and a valve (not a proper valve just a cheap one) to select the tanks. Well the valve was rusted shut, and the second tank had been removed. So it was plumbed to atmosphere... a little piece of rubber fuel line to connect the factory steel tank line to the steel line to the fuel pump fixed that issue and I drove it home.

Driving it home was a handful to say the least... i could immediately tell it needed some carb love. As it happened I had another Quadrajet (one of 6 I have in my workshop) that was an identical twin to the one that was on there (7042208) so I spent this Saturday tearing my spare down and soaking/scrubbing/picking/soaking some more in carb cleaner then today reassembling it all. Got it put in about 5pm this evening and with a little starting fluid to coax fuel to the new fuel pump, and fuel lines from pump to carb including inline filter. She fired right up, and purrs like a kitty. Drove it around the block a couple of times and none of the problems it had prior.

Before you comment, yes I know the linkage is quazi and the return springs aren't secured. Before I went thru the effort of getting everything installed properly I wanted to make sure it ran, and that my rebuild did indeed fix the issues I had prior. And I am also going to be cleaning up the intake/valve covers/etc...

The motorhome itself needs some love, has some water damage I have to address, and sealing all the corners/roof... and a coat of paint so it doesn't look as rough. But starting with a free motorhome with a freshly rebuilt TH-350 wasn't a horrible place to start IMO.

So what do ya'll think? Comments, suggestions, ideas are more than welcome!

Thanks

-Chris
Attached Images

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche - "Faith"
cjlloyd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
59bones

Re: 1972 Chevrolet P30 Motorhome

If it is old and a Chevrolet and it was cheap and you got to diagnose and repair, then I like it.

Does this mean there will be a van/rv category...?
59bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
cjlloyd81

Old, chevy, and free :-)
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche - "Faith"
cjlloyd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
flashed

I like it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote