The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Jstock85

Q jet idling issue

Qjet on 85 c10. did a rebuild kit several weeks ago and has been running great. went out for a drive yesterday and idle in drive is choking out. RPMs drop to about 300. Park and neutral RPMs hover around 500-800. Any suggestions?
Jstock85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
oldpurple

Re: Q jet idling issue

I would check for vacuum leaks. You can use carb cleaner to spray around various areas while it's running, and you will hear the engine speed up a bit. Don't over tighten the mounting bolts, especially the two long ones at the front. I like to use an inch pound tq wrench on them.

What kind of gasket did you use between the carb and intake? I had a crappy thin one (came with a cheapo kit) that wasn't sealing properly, and a better 1/4" one fixed that problem.

I would also check the screws that hold the air horn to the main body, and if you're removing the carb I would check the ones holding the throttle plate onto the body. I found that after a few heat cycles some of mine really loosened up enough to cause some leaks, especially the two down in the primary bores. Maybe the factory used some sort of threadlocker?
oldpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
Jstock85

Re: Q jet idling issue

Got the kit from cliff's. Several recommended it on this board. The plate is one of the 1/4 in thick ones. Im hoping the problem is a simple fix. The vac lines seem secure when i gave it a quick check. I will check the bolts and maybe that'll fix the problem. Thanks for the response.
Jstock85 is offline   Reply With Quote