The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
blkcorvair

Getting ready to remove cab floor Need Bracing Pics

Looking to get some pics posted of what others have done to brace the cabs when you've done a full floor replacement. Im looking to remove my cab from the chassis this weekend and hope to have all the braces in place first..

Thanks
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
squirel

Re: Getting ready to remove cab floor Need Bracing Pics

I only have pictures of when I replaced individual floor pan's they did not have the full floors when I did mine but it might give you some ideas. just click on my build page below.

My build page
http://67chev.shawwebspace.ca/
squirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
blkcorvair

Wow that was a great photo albumn. You replaced all the floor panels I would have to. Once a saw my rear crossmember was as bad as it is I decided to axe the idea of trying to make 6 patches fit together and weld solid and opt for making one big one fit.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
squirel

That would have been my choice to if at the time they sold the entire floor. I had to patch a couple spots on the rear cross member and as you can see in the pictures I a had a pretty big hole to patch in the roof also lol

My build page
http://67chev.shawwebspace.ca/
squirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Portmod7

Not sure if this helps or not. I thought I had some better pictures, but can't seem to find them right now.

I made some plates that bolt-in at each door hinge mount, and a plate to replace the striker plate(correct term?) at the rear of the door where it latches. I connected the two hinge plates with a piece of square tube, and then triangulated two pieces of square tube from the hinge plates back to the striker plate. I did this on both sides. Then I bolted in x-bracing across the cab.

The goal of my replacement was not to disturb any of the paint on the outside of the cab, and I didn't want to weld my bracing to the cab in any way, that's why I tried to make it all bolt-on.

I'm not sure if I did it right, wrong, whatever. I think it worked out pretty good, although the cab is still sitting just like you see in the pics, only with a new floor, front cab corners, kick panels, and some small floor patches forward of the new floor I got. I haven't put the doors on yet, or had it back on the truck. But with the replacement floors built the way they are, I think if you can get it in there, and in the right spot, I don't see how you could have any issues.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Portmod7 is offline   Reply With Quote