The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
bubbasimms

Advice on this kit

Ohttp://m.ebay.com/itm/262563628517?_...26&_mwBanner=1
Hope I did that correctly .
Hello everyone.....I'm looking for advice on this Grunion Fab air ride kit on eBay. Wanting to bag my 69 stepside that has stock 71 5 lug disc brake front suspension and rear 5 lug axle. Seems pretty complete and all mcgaughys parts, seems like a decent price doesn't it? New to air ride on pickups but have driven and worked on big trucks w/ air ride for years. I've been loosing sleep reading all I can and researching parts and kits but after a while it all runs back together. I wouldn't mind paying more for a better height controlled type management system instead of the basic paddle valves, but I may start basic and add the fancy stuff later. I would love to do something this week to take advantage of any Black Friday type sales or specials if any exist. I have looked at several other kits that seem to be far more expensive for less parts, ie don't include drop spindles or c notch. What am I missing if this kit includes mcgaughys parts and dominator bags?
Any and all advice greatly appreciated
bubbasimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
bubbasimms

Re: Advice on this kit

I would love a quote from some of the vendors here on a similiar kit. I dont mind raising the bed floor if need be and I would consider cupping the LCA's as well. Not sure if i need to do anything with the trailing arm cross member for driveshaft clearance? It's going to be driven often but never hauling anything. Keeping the 250 six and the 3 on the tree and going to run either rally's or stock steelies and caps. I would like a nice low but comfortable drive height and be able to drop it down when parked or slowly cruising.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
Pro Performance

We can do basically the same kit as that one for you, at the $1,395 price. Instead, we would go with a 3" Street Edge spindle to get you a tad lower, Black 444C and a 5 gallon tank instead of the 2.5 gallon.

I would even substitute the DeadEnd Garage notch for you, which gets you a tad lower in the rear, but allowing the bag to mount directly to the frame. This notch has an integrated bag mounting area, and a panhard bar mount included.

http://www.azproperformance.com/Dead...63-72-C10.html

It is basically taking out Budget kit and adding in the above notch, panhard bar and spindles.

http://www.azproperformance.com/Budg...63-72-C10.html
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:54 AM   #4
andrewmp6

I think i would go with Travis up there,His price is about the same and you get it a little bit lower with his set up.The company on ebay i have never heard of but they have a few bad yelp reviews https://www.yelp.com/biz/grunion-fabrication-phoenix Travis aka Pro Performance i never have bought from but i trust him,To be a vendor on here which not just anyone we let be one.He knows his stuff and i have yet to see anything bad about him yet and doubt i will.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
tlmoore2501

Well no advice for the kit you posted BUT I do have some Advice.If you look through this forum on the suspension pages and you DO NOT find the eBay kit being used there is probably a good reason why.Thousands of these trucks are being built around the world.You are viewing the best website in the world of people building these trucks.Buying from the vendors on this board is your best bet.They are true truck people that know their stuff.They are right here to talk to should you need help .When you get ready to add more cool parts to your already cool new parts the vendors here know what you need and what fits.You will be lucky to even get a reply back on eBay ,much less anything more.
tlmoore2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
bubbasimms

Greaf advice...... thank you.
Sounds like it's settled then. Travis with Pro Performance, how shall I contact you to place my order?
Old 11-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #7
Pro Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasimms View Post
Greaf advice...... thank you.
Sounds like it's settled then. Travis with Pro Performance, how shall I contact you to place my order?
Feel free to call or email, whichever is easiest. Can call @ 480-420-8175 or travis@azproperformance.com. Look forward to speaking with you.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:54 AM   #8
andrewmp6

I will give you two tips make sure you use a air line cutter when you cut the lines,Its like 20 bucks and makes installing easier and leak free.And in the winter you might wanna put a little air line antifreeze in the air tank.And if you feel like it make a build thread on here with your truck.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:05 AM   #9
bubbasimms

http://www.bcfab.com/Complete-FBSS-A...L-2_p_465.html

Or this kit....I thought I had decided but there are too many options! Single or dual compressors, manual or electric valves, I like the idea of a handheld controller but I still need mounted gauges somewhere to monitor pressure. To notch or not, is a notch necessary without bed floor modifications? Will the pumpkin not hit the floor about the same time the tubes hit the frame? Scrub issues associated with failures, in many years of running air ride on dump trucks, where the bags and fittings live in a horrible dirty, rough, abused and neglected environment, we had very few failures. Please keep the info and suggestions coming.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #10
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Just go with what travis listed an be done with worrying bout at a kit.....if u dont notch the rear frame ur gonna get very low at all....it would be like a static dropped stance an that does for the front also if u keep the inner fenders
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #11
bubbasimms

OK Travis, sent you a nice long email, thanks for your help
Old 11-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #12
andrewmp6

The bcfab kit don't have drop spindles and the notch is not as deep so you won't get as low with that kit.On the single vs dual compressors that depends on tank size and how much you wanna use it.If you want a simple raise the truck to drive it and dump it when you park you can use a single compressor and small tank.Now if you want to play with it a lot then you need more air.Which vavles manual or electric is more up to you,The manual ones will mean more holes and lines ran in to the cab of the truck.With electric valves the only air lines in the cab will be for the gauges.And on the gauges you need 2 inside maybe a 3rd.The two you can get a dual needle gauge and have it be the front gauge left and right,And next gauge same thing but rear.The 3rd gauge can be for the air tank but some mount that right on the tank.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:21 AM   #13
BigMike

I'd go with Travis as well. He has tons of knowledge on these trucks and is awesome to deal with. Bought my Accuair system, VHX guages & Boyds tank so far & could not have been happier with my purchases.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote