The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
76/85 Truck

Hub Problems

After I did a Full-Time four wheel drive swap to a NP205 part-time case, I put on Dana 44 Spicer Hubs on my 1976 truck. They look just like this:

A week ago, my wheel bearing went out, and while I was in there I noticed the hub was broke (the yellow plastic piece has a pin inside of it, and the pin was sheared and the plastic was broke).

Today, my truck was making a weird cluck when I steered. Turns out the other hub is broke. The internal yellow plastic broke on this side now. Is there a metal replacement for the yellow turning piece?

I would like to avoid buying new steel hubs and just upgrade from the plastic center to a metal center.

Does anybody make a metal center for this hub?

Thanks everyone!!!!!

My first truck!! 1976 Chevy 3/4 ton Camper Special and a 1985 GMC body. Has a 350, 4 BBL Edelbrock, with a Turbo 350, and NP205 T-case.

Last edited by 76/85 Truck; 05-18-2011 at 12:43 AM.
76/85 Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: Hub Problems

I am currently rebuilding the hubs on my '73, just like the ones you have. These external mount hubs are no longer made by the factory, and parts are hard to find. I searched far and wide for the plastic knobs. You can find them used or NOS around the 'net and on ebay, but they are VERY expensive. For some time, someone was making some dials out of metal. I finally found what I was looking for here:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....~~~0000024X~F#

$12 is a great price but they will not have the "Spicer" script. They will in fact have the "Ford" script, which I find kinda cool. This is what you need BUT it is only the knob without the 'O' ring or the pin. Your other option would be to replace them with Warn (very expensive), Superwinch, or Mile Marker replacements. The only reason I did not want to go that route is because I will be running the original hubcaps on mine and the aftermarket hubs would look a little goofy with the hubcap.

But if you are not partial to these factory hubs, get some readily available aftermarket hubs. I'll see if I can find the link to the metal ones.

M

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
hensonjd

I just got an 86 dually. And the PO had put super winch hubs in and he let one of the caps fall off and he has lost it. Is their anyway to buy the whole outer section without having to buy the whole thing?
hensonjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
76/85 Truck

I went ahead and looked through the wreckingyard and i found a set of Mile Markers... I paid the 20$ for them and put the passenger side on my truck with no problems, but the drivers side will not turn.

For some reason, it feels like it is not lining up correctly. I tried several different positions on the axle, and still nothing will line up. I plan to rebuild the stock Spicer hubs, but for the time being does anyone know how to fix the Mile Markers? And does anyone know of a metal center for the stock Spicer's?

My first truck!! 1976 Chevy 3/4 ton Camper Special and a 1985 GMC body. Has a 350, 4 BBL Edelbrock, with a Turbo 350, and NP205 T-case.
76/85 Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

I've only found the metal centers for the internal hubs, not the external hubs. Apparently there were a few people making them for a while, but I'm not sure if they are anymore.

I would just buy a set of the plastic ones and rebuild what you have. The plastic ones will last--at the price, buy an extra set if you have to. The plastic part is just a dial, anyway. Be sure you have all the parts--the O-ring and the metal and paper gaskets on the hub body. You can get a diagram of the entire assembly online or in the Haynes Manual.

I will post a How-To on rebuilding them pretty soon. I've taken a ton of photos of what I'm doing but I just haven't made the time to put everything together.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Not sure how much money you have, and not sure if you want to keep the axle all original, but if not, check these out...

http://store.4wheelingplus.com/prodd...artner=froogle

The price isn't bad for what you get.