The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
billcocarb

E brake question

Looking at a 57, 3100, swb, 235, 4 speed and it has the e brake system with the handle to the right of the shifter with the brake at the rear or the trans. In everything I can find it shows the 1/2 and 3/4 to have the handle on the left of steering column and rear shoes being the e-brake. It shows the trans brake being used on 1 ton and up. My question is : is it possible a 1/2 ton came of the line with the trans brake or is this something I should stay away from. Thanks in advance. Tried searching this but didn't come up with anything.
billcocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:48 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: E brake question

Did you look under it to see if there were cables going to the rear axle or spots on the rear backing places for cables.
I'm assuming that it does have six lug wheels or has been converted to five lug.

There is always the possibility that it didn't start out life as a 3100 and someone made a 3100 out of pieces or that they used a trans out of a 1 ton.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:58 AM   #3
paulspickupparts

If you look on the left front frame rail you will see a bracket for the e-brake rod for the hand brake. Should be riveted on. Transmission may have been changed over the years. Look for clues .
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
billcocarb

Thanks for the info, think I'll pass on this one.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
dsraven

check the number plate on the door pillar. it will tell you what the truck started life as.
of you are looking for a stock 1/2 tonand this one looks sweet on other accounts, you can send the vin to the GM heritage centre and they will send you a build sheet for it. that would tell you what it was on day one.
if you are looking for a restomod project then that park brake can easily be retrofitted to something you would rather have. i am sure the original linkages are sitting in many garages from guys who converted to a pedal style or something different.
here is the heritage centre booklet for the 55-59 trucks. it has a page with vin's nd series numbers for USA models. copy and paste to google. it is a pdf but only takes a sec to download.

good luck.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...2nd-Series.pdf
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
mr48chev

I have to agree there, it rather depends on what your plans are for the truck you end up getting. If you plan and engine, trans and rear axle swap in the redo what is there now isn't of huge consequence. If you are going to restore it to stock or almost stock I'd pass unless the sheet metal is near perfect and you figure it's worth the effort.

No matter what make sure the vin on the truck exactly matches the one on the title. There are a lot of mix and match assembled from pieces trucks floating around with a title that may or may not jive with the vin on the truck.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
billcocarb

Thanks again for replies and info. I'm looking to have a truck pretty much stock, just a nice driver quality. Had a 49 ( 4 speed) on the farm when I was a kid and I always wanted to get one in that 49 to 57 vintage to go to coffee and putt around town, looking for stock and keeping it that way. I am going to move on, I'll find one, thanks again.