The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
ButtersTheTruck

Newbie from Oregon with an almost 100% original 67 C20 :)

Greetings all!

My husband and I bought our 1967 Chevy C20 about 2 weeks ago. She is nearly all original and only has 43k miles. Unfortunately, I am new to car restoration, but fortunately, my dad isn't! We have been working to restore our pretty little truck, who I have dubbed Butters, to her former glory. It will be a long road but we hope a very enjoyable and rewarding journey!

We also use Butters as a work truck for our farm. We will be purchasing (asap) a small horse trailer so we no longer have to put hay in the bed (which is in very good condition!).

I joined the board to try to learn more about these trucks and proper restoration. I am not especially car-savvy, but I hope to learn over the coming months and years

The pics are of my truck finishing hauling her first load of hay, and my goat Obie bestowing his approval of the new ride!
Attached Images

ButtersTheTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
1963c-10

Re: Newbie from Oregon with an almost 100% original 67 C20 :)

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

Looks like Obie enjoys the view!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

Welcome..

Lots of very knowledgeable and willing to help truck nuts on this forum, plus there is a fair number of us here in the Northwest who can assist both in information sharing and access to parts.. What part of Oregon are you in?

Be sure to stop by the Northwest forum here- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=55

It looks like you have a very solid starting point, best of luck making it you own.
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
ButtersTheTruck

Thank you both very much for the warm welcome!

We are near Portland, just southwest of it. We are planning to take the truck, as she is, to a show just for fun and to learn a bit in July in Tigard. We'll be judged, but in a way I think that will be a good thing because it can give us valuable feedback.

Going to be a slow process restoring Butters, but I hope it will be lots of fun
Old 07-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
scotts72heavyhalf

Welcome from another Oregonian! Any more pics or background info on the truck?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
ButtersTheTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts72heavyhalf View Post
Welcome from another Oregonian! Any more pics or background info on the truck?
We know a bit about it. It was purchased new at a dealership in the Dalles and moved to eastern Oregon (near Redmond) where it stayed for many years. The original buyer stuck a camper in the back and used it for camping excursions but otherwise kept it indoors or under cover. When he passed away, the truck went to his son or nephew (there is some debate about who it was exactly). That gentleman did not know what to do with it and kept it stored indoors for a number of years until he decided it was better to part with it. In 2002, he sold it to its third owner, a very nice fellow who bought it thinking he would restore it or perhaps turn it into a fun little hotrod. He stuck it in his garage...and there the truck sat. In 13+ years of ownership, he put a whopping 3k miles on it.

In early June, the 3rd owner decided to attend a good-sized car show in Sherwood. And seeing that he'd owned the truck for so long and had never gotten around to restoring it, he thought he would stick a for sale sign in the window when he parked the car in a lot adjacent to the show and see if he got any bites. Well, we've made it a family tradition to take dad out for breakfast and to the Sherwood car show to celebrate father's day for several years now. As a stroke of luck (or fate!), we parked in the same lot as the truck, and dad spotted it as we were walking in. He marveled at it's exceptionally good condition, and knowing we had need for a truck and that we had a tax return burning a hole in our collective pocket, he encouraged my husband and I to call.

I called and texted the owner, hoping we would get the chance to check out the truck while we were at the show, but did not get a call back in the 90 minutes we were there. When we walked back to our car, the truck was gone, and my heart broke a little thinking somebody else had leapt upon her. I got home and started looking online for a similar truck, and realized after shopping around for an hour both what in good shape and good price she was, and my heart broke a little more.

Then my phone lit up with a text message.

The owner and I, along with my dad and husband, met up an hour later and we went over every inch of her. Dad kept marveling at her great condition. I kept telling dad to stop taking away every bargaining chip I had After a test drive, we agreed upon a price, shook hands, and the next day (Father's Day) we met with cash-in-hand, and I brought Butters home.

Today dad got up early while it was still cool and he freshened up her white top. She is looking great! Pics of her new look below
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2015, 03:38 AM   #7
Blue/72

Wow awesome looking truck and story!
•1972 Cheyenne Super. Sold
Blue/72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
ButtersTheTruck

Thank you! This weekend we are going to install the original bumper and do a bit more work to her. Gotta get ready for the show next weekend!
Old 07-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #9
Blue/72

Will you be going to the Canby Cruise In on August 29th? Over 500 cars, food, live music and is an awesome show to attend. I will be there with my dad in his 69 show truck, myself with my original 72 and my little brother and his hot rod 67.
•1972 Cheyenne Super. Sold
Blue/72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #10
ButtersTheTruck

I didn't even know about it! It's not too far so we may very well attend if everybody is home then (family travels during the summer). It sounds like a lot of fun and worth checking out, thanks for the tip!! I don't know that we'd bring Butters but I think just wandering around would prove to be great fun
Old 07-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #11
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Welcome fellow Oregon member.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #12
ButtersTheTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Welcome fellow Oregon member.
Thanks very much!