The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
The Big Green

'91 S-10 distributor problems

I had to repo this from someone. The truck had a bad coil (standard round black external coil for most trucks/cars) and it was replaced with a good one, same kind. Anyways, the coil wire from the distributor had a bad connection, and right as I got home it backfired, like a 12 gauge. I don't have power to my distributor, or the hot wire from the truck. It has been a a few months, and I need to fix this. What wire was the hot one? It was a 4.3, now carbed 350, and I have most of the wiring harness, I need to cut this out, or what I dont need. I have a wire, should be it, its on the left side of my carb, right beside it, I believe like a cream color, with a black line. I have blown a few distributors, I don't like the Accels, and Mallory dists. because 1 bad groung, and pow, gone, $100 to fix. I have a Accel street billet, I thought about adding a MSD ignition, and not fixing what I blew.

What wire is hot at dist. when I turn the key on?
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
corn

Re: '91 S-10 distributor problems

Cream with black stripe is tach lead I believe. if its a carb small block now, Id just toss an HEI in it & run a new wire to the fuse box. Dont forget an inline fuse...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
The Big Green

Re: '91 S-10 distributor problems

Thanks. I'm not sure of the color, but it would be better to just start over, I want to rewire it anyways. I have a dist. sitting in it, but the bigger dist. is close, and the Accel supercoil cap is hitting the firewall, but I may be able to cut the piece that covers the wires off, and hope the wires dont hit. I can always take a hammer, but I'm letting my wife fix up the truck, and I suggested MSD stuff. The rest of the engine she can decide, along with looks.

Thanks again.

I'll be biulding this thing up in the next couple months, so I'll be around this part of the forum some. I'd post engine in engine forum, but the fullsize guys don't run into the same problems.
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote