The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
John Gilbert

'Lil 2.2 Got 24MPG combined from Sat to today

Holy moly, I'm not sure what made the difference but I got 20.5 on the 100 mile loop before, and just got a shade over 24MPG putting on 139.5 miles. Maybe I did a little more freeway this time around. I always use 76 because there's a 76 station in Fountain Valley that always has the best prices. I'm really encouraged, as soon as I can I'm going to dyno as is, and then start throwing tuneup parts at it.

You know I've often thought about building a gutted S-10 roadster. It would haul buns, and probably get pretty good mileage.
John Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: 'Lil 2.2 Got 24MPG combined from Sat to today

Thats pretty decent. We're paying $3.96 a gallon up here.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
John Gilbert

Regular gas is at $4.25 a-gallon here in OC So Cal. I'm headed up to Apple Valley to do a story for Biker mag today. I'm going to fill it up before I go and try to get as much of a pure highway loop as possible. We've got Cajon Pass which is a pretty steep climb to get over, and then I'll coast like crazy when I come home.

I wish I had the new plugs and DUI coils in.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Did you fill at the exact same station and the exact same pump? The same pump comphensates for angle differences-----the fuel level in the tank could change from pump to pump depending on the slant of the pavement.

i usually fill at exxon, hopefully the same one and the same pump. But i think some exxons have/had 100% gas while most have E10/E15.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
Did you fill at the exact same station and the exact same pump? The same pump comphensates for angle differences-----the fuel level in the tank could change from pump to pump depending on the slant of the pavement.

i usually fill at exxon, hopefully the same one and the same pump. But i think some exxons have/had 100% gas while most have E10/E15.
99% of the time I use 76. Sometimes the same pump, sometimes not. California only has E10. I always fill the tank as full as possible, beyond the automatic click-off. I can see gas in the filler neck when I'm done.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
spudz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gilbert View Post
99% of the time I use 76. Sometimes the same pump, sometimes not. California only has E10. I always fill the tank as full as possible, beyond the automatic click-off. I can see gas in the filler neck when I'm done.
Doing that fills your evap system with fuel. I fix about 2 cars a week for the owners overfilling the tanks. It fills the evap charcoal canister with fuel and burns up the evap vent solenoid. Costs about $500 bux to fix at the dealership........ Just saying... stop filling when the pump clicks off. Your s10s system may prevent it from doing this but almost everything GM makes if you overfill regularly it will mess it up, trailblazers, envoys, 99-up trucks. etc...
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
Doing that fills your evap system with fuel. I fix about 2 cars a week for the owners overfilling the tanks. It fills the evap charcoal canister with fuel and burns up the evap vent solenoid. Costs about $500 bux to fix at the dealership........ Just saying... stop filling when the pump clicks off. Your s10s system may prevent it from doing this but almost everything GM makes if you overfill regularly it will mess it up, trailblazers, envoys, 99-up trucks. etc...
Well, it looks like I've been lucky. I've been doing it this way on my '00 S-10, and '05 GMC Sierra since new, and haven't had a problem. Maybe this has been because I usually burn at least 2 gallons right away.

What are the symptoms when the evap solenoid burns up. If mine are fried, I'd know right?

Thanks,
Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
spudz

Quote:
Well, it looks like I've been lucky. I've been doing it this way on my '00 S-10, and '05 GMC Sierra since new, and haven't had a problem. Maybe this has been because I usually burn at least 2 gallons right away.

What are the symptoms when the evap solenoid burns up. If mine are fried, I'd know right?

Thanks,
you will have to replace your charcoal canister and evap solenoid. You will have a check engine light and evap codes.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
you will have to replace your charcoal canister and evap solenoid. You will have a check engine light and evap codes.
Great, it looks like I skated. There's no trouble codes on either truck. Does the automatic kick-off on gas pumps always stop at the same point, or is this a variable that will affect gas-mileage figures?

Remember the good old days when a mechanical fuel pump took 10 minutes to change, and it didn't matter if the tank was run too low, or filled too high?... I love my '66 C10 with a stock two-barrel 327.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
69C-owner

Quote:
Great, it looks like I skated. There's no trouble codes on either truck. Does the automatic kick-off on gas pumps always stop at the same point, or is this a variable that will affect gas-mileage figures?

Remember the good old days when a mechanical fuel pump took 10 minutes to change, and it didn't matter if the tank was run too low, or filled too high?... I love my '66 C10 with a stock two-barrel 327.
Amen to that
69C-owner is offline   Reply With Quote