The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Raining in the cab

So was just sitting there waiting for my honey to get ready to go to lunch with her sister and her mom, well not really going anywhere, but having lunch in the care facility where her mom resides now. A fun thing I totally must have forgotten about because "I told you all about this a week ago" Um Ok, and also we were going to do some shopping after ... Um Ok honey. So I had to call Livrat and cancel my trip up to his place, sorry Mark

While I was waiting I decided to move my truck from the back of my shop to the front. Been raining a lot so I fired up the wipers. All that "rain water" on my windshield was actually condensation on the inside of the windshield. Ill let it run for awhile to clear it up. Go out to move the truck and I feel drip on my head. I look up and the entire inside roof of the cab is raining on me. Totally soaked and dripping down. I wiped everything up the best I could. Im not sure how, but I need to figure out a way to stop this from happening anymore. Cant put it in the shop, I have too much going on in there right now. This sucks .. Well I have to go have lunch and do some shopping. If you have miracle cure for this let me know.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: Raining in the cab

Well I was pretty sure there wasn't a real fix to this unless I parked it inside somewhere.

But I did come up with a fix. I called my 17 year old nephew, HS senior. Hey would you mind driving my truck as much as you can, work, school etc? He was confused. I told him it really needed to be driven. Now he isn't confused, he's happy =)

Old 12-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
ratty69

No miracle cure unfortunately. Condensation in the cab means you've got a leak somewhere.

If my truck is at all typical, 1. marker lights, 2. windshield seal, 3. cowl seams.

Happy hunting.
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Yeah I know its leaking. But Im not going to chase it down. Its basically winter now and my nephew is going to be driving it a lot with the heater blasting and the air circulating. That's going to good enough for me =)

Old 12-17-2017, 01:00 AM   #5
Gregski
Post Whore

looks like you are in Washington, doesn't it only rain there twice a week, once for four days the other time for three, LOL, sounds like you may have an Arizona/Nevada truck, one that likes the desert sun
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Funny thing about rain here, we do have a rep for sure. But there are many major cities all over the US that get a lot more overall precipitation than we do.

A lot of ours comes with gray drizzly days so its just spread out in a different way. Being born and raised here I have no problem with the overcast and rain. Keeps us green =)

Ive been in Sacramento in August a bunch of times .. Ill take our mild weather haha!

Old 12-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
Richard2112

You can slow the formation of condensate by leaving the fresh air vents open and a window slightly open. Sometimes this prevents condensate completely.

Condensate forms from two causes generally: Driving the truck with defrosts/heater on then parking it on a cold day. Rapid temp change causes condensate, especially on smooth painted surfaces and glass.

A large temperature difference/change overnight will cause the same thing. Crack a window or leave the fresh air vents open.

You might have a leak but condensate doesn't necessarily indicate a leak.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Are there fresh air vents in an air conditioned truck? I know they don't have the little pull handle vents.

I was out there this morning checking all the fluids, and just from being driven a bunch yesterday you can tell its a much happier truck =)

Old 12-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Are there fresh air vents in an air conditioned truck? I know they don't have the little pull handle vents.

I was out there this morning checking all the fluids, and just from being driven a bunch yesterday you can tell its a much happier truck =)
A/C trucks have a fresh air vent on the driver's side only. It's the same as a non-A/C truck vent.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that the condensation could also be the result of a leaking heater core. It doesn't take much of a leak either, especially when there's air blasting through there in cold weather.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

So my nephew came by at 6:30 am yesterday. Left his Jeep and happily drove off in the GMC. About 15 minutes later ... Hey the headlights stopped working. Before I could answer ... Ok got the headlights back on but only high beams ... before I could answer ... Ok now the low beams are working.

I think we had this problem early on. The fuse box had gotten corroded at the light fuse, my guess is from sitting and getting a lot of moisture in the cab after Mark stopped driving it. I fixed that. And I think we had a little problem when we took out the old stuff on the floor and put in a new full rubber mat. I went over that with my nephew. He said he would check it out. Haven't heard back so I guess hes good (until the next text lol).