The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #1251
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Thanks Kim. I can't recall if you put the Altman latch kit on our truck or not? If you did, did you paint the sheet metal included with the kit or polish it, or what?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #1252
Dan in Pasadena

April 25, 2016

Blew the bed apart today. What a pain in the butt. Again with the broken bolts and adding to the fun was a prior owner welded the bed sides to the rear most cross sill - gee, THANKS! Of course I had to cut the welds and that screwed them on a bit. Here's the bed broken down:

Just a few pic's of the details. The bed front panel is barely dented - good. But when I tapped it on the pavement a LOT of heavy rust fell out including some inch long solid pieces and the one rust-through spot I thought I had looks more like a running 8-10" of rust-through. I'll be replacing the front panel because of this, unfortunately.

Here you can see the welding of the bed side to the cross brace. Both sides were done of course. WHY would someone do this?

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 04-25-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #1253
Kim57

To bad about the rust and welded sides.
Kim
Old 04-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #1254
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim.

I'm complaining but I've got little to REALLY complain about compared to the guys replacing entire floors, etc. I'm actually pretty lucky!

Turns out a repop bed front panel is only $80 at The Truck Shop compared to $110 at Mar-K and other shipping since we're local. So again, lucky.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #1255
59chev

I'm pretty sure the bedsides welded to the rear cross sill is factory. I'm on the third bed on my truck and every one has had the bedsides welded to the rear cross sill.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #1256
BC Toy chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59chev View Post
I'm pretty sure the bedsides welded to the rear cross sill is factory. I'm on the third bed on my truck and every one has had the bedsides welded to the rear cross sill.
Yeah that's how they come. Mine was so poorly done i thought it was an after thought done by the previous owner, only to find out later it was done at the factory, hahaha.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #1257
Dan in Pasadena

Really? Wow, I'm surprised. Why would that be necessary?

For those of you that have blown their beds apart for paint, did you reweld it? Cause I don't plan to.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #1258
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Glad to see you are still making progress!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #1259
Rods57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post

For those of you that have blown their beds apart for paint, did you reweld it? Cause I don't plan to.
Great question, i have the same one. I wonder if its to keep the bed square. i was thinking of tacking mine before i paint.
Rods57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #1260
Dan in Pasadena

April 27, 2016

Well, that was quick. The blaster called me back in less than 24 hours that my bed was done. I went yesterday to pay the bill and they offered to deliver my parts to the painter as I wasn't driving my other truck when they called but I was near their facility.

Anyway, this update is just a record that the parts are now with the body shop and I left instructions on filling a few extra holes that are in the bed rolls. I'll check in later this week and take some pictures.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:31 AM   #1261
Nut Case

Dan, When you mention "Truck Shop" I looked them up downloaded the on line catalog. Going to get sheetmetal form this business. Thanks a lot. Good build, I have pirated many things from your thread. Thanks again

Nut Case
Old 04-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #1262
Dan in Pasadena

Hey, Nut Case I'm glad you've found the thread useful here and there. What I will tell you is there have been others that have not had good things to say about the The Truck Shop. Mostly having to do with their shipping and customer service.

I'm not exactly warning you off them just letting you know they have been as issue for others. I use them because they're relatively local so I can physically pick up what I'm buying, pay no shipping, and not have to deal with anyone but their counter men. Those guys are nice, helpful, etc. Just a head's up. -Dan

Old 04-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #1263
Dan in Pasadena

April 28, 2016

Picked up the new bed front panel, polished stainless bolt kit as well as rear fender bolt kit in polished stainless as well today.

My side steps appear to be drilled for the old school stainless steps with Chevy bow tie emblem and I debated whether to weld shut the holes or buy replacement steps? I bought the large flat steps the Truck Shop had to test them for fit. There is a second type of these steps with a kicked up lip but they're smaller and they were out of stock on them anyway. The blue bow tie would be painted black or red.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #1264
Kim57

Looks real nice.
Kim
Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #1265
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Looks real nice.
Kim
Thanks Kim! I stopped by the body shop and the holes in my steps are MUCH closer together so these steps will be returned and the holes welded shut. I can always decide later to add step plates even after its painted.

Like I said, these things are old school (as am I, unfortunately!) so I run hot & cold on whether I want things like this or do I want a newer, cleaner look?

Things like chrome inside window & windshield moldings, chrome ashtray face, these steps, etc all used to be kinda standard on a "dressed-to-the-teeth" truck. Now? Not so much.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #1266
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post

Dan, you can probably get by with not welding the bed sides since your truck won't be worked out of and the tailgate will most likely always be closed, but that's not how these trucks were intended to be used. Even though there's four bolts on each side holding the bed sides to the rear cross member I doubt that the bed sides would have remained square to the floor for very long under the typical usage that these trucks were subjected to if they weren't welded. The bolts are located at the bottom of the bed sides so a heavy object hitting the top of the bed side would likely knock it out of position especially if the tailgate was down. I would weld it like the factory did it if it were mine, but that's just my opinion. Either way, I'm anxious to see some updates on your truck.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #1267
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Dan, you can probably get by with not welding the bed sides since your truck won't be worked out of and the tailgate will most likely always be closed, but that's not how these trucks were intended to be used. Even though there's four bolts on each side holding the bed sides to the rear cross member I doubt that the bed sides would have remained square to the floor for very long under the typical usage that these trucks were subjected to if they weren't welded. The bolts are located at the bottom of the bed sides so a heavy object hitting the top of the bed side would likely knock it out of position especially if the tailgate was down. I would weld it like the factory did it if it were mine, but that's just my opinion. Either way, I'm anxious to see some updates on your truck.
Hi Russ! Long time no talk.

I spoke with the body man and we both came to the conclusion the welding was just as you said: to keep the sides relatively in alignment after loads of sand or gravel, etc had been dropped in the bed. These trucks lived HARD lives. Mine doesn't appear to have been one of those - my original bedsides barely have any dents in them and the original bed wood was completely intact except for one board if you go back to my early posts! We decided wil will profit the entire bed together once the body work is done on each side. The "fit" of the sides to the rear-most cross member is TIGHT on mine so it'll definitely scrape the new paint unless we relieve that fit a little prior to paint.

Something I forgot to post is I DIDNT have the angle strips removed from the bed sides before blasting. My body man wants to remove them, sandblast where they were and rework where the drilled out spot welds were because without doing that there is rust left behind the angle strips. He's pretty thorough and I'm happy about that. But I think I need to post a separate thread about this to ask some questions.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #1268
Dan in Pasadena

May 23, 2016

Just back from a week of vacation and stopped by the shop to check on progress. My cab interior was about to be sprayed with final red primer. These photos aren't as clear as I'd wished because everything looked great to me.

After having had both rear cab corners replaced, the rust-out in the kick panel areas repaired and the extra radio holes in the dash repaired it looks so good.

Re: My bed sides, the painter drilled out the spot welds holding the angle strips and resent them to the blaster (a block away) to blast behind where they'd been. They're not back yet, when they are they'll be finished and re-primed, readied for final paint. I will install polished stainless angles using buttonhead stainless bolts as described in a separate thread - thanks for the advice guys!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 05-23-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:39 PM   #1269
Valarius_Starchaser

Looking so good! I bet you were ready to jump out of your shoes with a sight like that!
Old 05-24-2016, 01:16 AM   #1270
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser View Post
Looking so good!
Thanks a lot for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser View Post
I bet you were ready to jump out of your shoes with a sight like that!
Actually, what's going to make me "jump out of my shoes" is to see some color go on it. I CAN'T WAIT for that. We're getting closer. It's taking a lot of time but I'm not upset about that - makes paying for it easier and I've seen the progress week to week and I know he's doing things the way I wanted them done.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #1271
Kim57

Coming along real nicely.
Kim
Old 05-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #1272
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Coming along real nicely.
Kim
....if s l o w l y, ha ha!

I asked about seam sealer along the interior steps. The bodyman said he puts that in after the color primer. I guess I thought it should be before, but what do I know!

The interior floor will have a bedliner type textured finish and
I will put Dynamat or Peel 'n Seal on it before carpet goes in eventually.

Also confirmed seam sealer along spot welded joints running around door perimeter. He confirmed that will be done as well. Self-leveling gutter sealant will also go in before color.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #1273
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Case View Post
Dan, When you mention "Truck Shop" I looked them up downloaded the on line catalog. Going to get sheetmetal form this business. Thanks a lot. Good build, I have pirated many things from your thread. Thanks again Nut Case
I looked them up and it says TruckSHOP.com is closed.... is this the right one?

http://www.truckshop.com/

On the bed dealio ---- my bed is completely welded together now as I had to make it to lift off for access to my FAT TIRES. I made the mounts easy too by just removing 4 bolts to the frame rails and its loose. Unplug the wire connector to the tailights and Two guys can lift it off.

Trucks looking good Danny!!!!

Last edited by ptc; 05-24-2016 at 02:22 PM.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #1274
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
I looked them up and it says TruckSHOP.com is closed.... is this the right one?

http://www.truckshop.com/
No, technically it's called, "The Car and Truck Shop". Here's a link to their site:

http://www.truckandcarshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
Truck's looking good Danny!!!!
Thanks so much. It's coming along.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #1275
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Looking real good Dan! How's the Altman door latch install coming along? Haven't done mine yet!!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote