The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
CHEVYRULS

Not sure what transmission to use

Its time to figure out what to do with the original transmission in the 1972 C10 long bed, 350ci with a gear ratio 3:73
The truck undergoing some body and front suspension repair so while its on jack stands I what to see what can be done to replace the M465 manual transmission.
The truck will be used as a daily driver on the city streets and HI way vers. hauling a Tank Sprayer which was its previous life for the last 20 yrs.

I do have a 14 spline T5 out of a 1994 S10 but I'm not sure what parts needed to install the new transmission. (like make and year of parts ect.)

Here is just a few of my concerns
-Flywheel,can I use the same one that the M465 uses?
-Clutch Hydraulic or the original linkage, I do have an aluminum bell housing that can house a Hydraulic clutch. Can I use the original bell housing and linkage that is used on the M465.
-what clutch and pressure plate will work?

If an Auto is the way to go then what is needed to do the install?

Keep in mind I would like to keep this within a reasonable budget

Thanks for any input I'm trying to be detailed so not to run into any surprises, if you have a recommendation where to look for parts that would be appreciated.
CHEVYRULS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Not sure what transmission to use

Welcome to the jungle!

If you got it use it if it’s the right one.
Look here.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
The S-10 swap is pretty straight forward. You will be able to use all of your current stuff except the clutch disk. You will need a disk for an Astro Van, ’85 if I remember correctly. You will also need a spacer between the trans and bell housing and possibly an adapter ring for the hole in your bell housing. You can use all of your original clutch linkage. The trans will hang off the back of the bell housing just like the SM465. If I have forgot something Someone will add to this.

http://hamiltonintakes.com/products/...5-swap-adapter

If you need an adapter ring get it here:

http://www.dennymac.com/muncie-bell-...g-adapter-ring

Here is a 5 speed swap thread that covers just about everything:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=438224

As a disclaimer, unless you drive like I do (an OLD Grandpa) the S-10 trans will probably not hold up behind the 350…..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-15-2017 at 02:07 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Is the T5 a good transmission for a truck hauling a water tank? I ask because I don't know, but was under the impression they aren't the most stout trans for truck use. How much water do you haul? Maybe I'm picturing a bigger tank.

I talk about not needing overdrive, but agree it sure is nice to have these days. But I run my '72 up and down the interstate with it's 4.10 gears about 8k a year, no problem. You have 3.73s, so probably about the same if your tires are shorter. Mine are 285/75s. Put those on the back and you'll cruise better than mine.

I'd want a transmission out of a same size truck if I worked the truck.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Is the T5 a good transmission for a truck hauling a water tank? I ask because I don't know, but was under the impression they aren't the most stout trans for truck use. How much water do you haul? Maybe I'm picturing a bigger tank.

I talk about not needing overdrive, but agree it sure is nice to have these days. But I run my '72 up and down the interstate with it's 4.10 gears about 8k a year, no problem. You have 3.73s, so probably about the same if your tires are shorter. Mine are 285/75s. Put those on the back and you'll cruise better than mine.

I'd want a transmission out of a same size truck if I worked the truck.

Tim, If I read his post correctly his truck hauled a tank sprayer for 20 years in it's previous life, and will now be used as a daily driver.....

LockDoc

-
Old 12-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Ok, I didn't recognize what "vers." was and thought he was saying would also be. So never mind about the heavy hauling concerns.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
CHEVYRULS

This WAS a FARMTRUCK being used to spray fields. now that I have it the truck will be a driver. I wont be hauling any tanks of water but I just may pull a lawn mower trailer behind it. "it will take you down city streets or any place you want to go"
Old 12-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
CHEVYRULS

Correct Lockdoc, when I got the truck the front fender on the passenger side had corrosion running down the side from the boom tip leaking, plus I noticed a whole in the passenger door. I later found out a rifle had gone off in the cab and blown off the door handle. the control arms are dented up as if the driver hit every rock they could find in the field. I'm not sure if I should replace them or pound out the dents.
" But the engine and frame is good" I drove it for a few years till the starter went out. that's when this rebuild started.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
Don Quixote

I do understand why some people don't like the SM465, it's a lot of transmission but I feel like the T5 will effectively reduce your truck to grocery getter status as far a durability is concerned, a lot of work for a downgrade. In my opinion, I'd leave it or go with the light duty 5 speed like a NV3500 or NV4500 perhaps.

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #10
So_In_Boiler

I agree with Don,

The T5 has a 265 lb-ft rating. Will the T5 handle more than that? Maybe for a while, but why tax the transmission and brake it just start over? That transmission is just undersized for even a mild V8.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...s/manual/t4-t5

If you want an afford alternative and you are not going to be hauling much I recommend the much over looked NV3500.

In my pursuit of a NV4500, I have passed on several used but perfectly good NV3500's for under $300. GM put a lot of NV3500 behind 350's, even in the LD 3/4 tons.

The NV3500 has torque rating of 300-340 lb-ft, and the NV4500 has a torque rating of 410-460 lb-ft.

If you decide to go with the NV3500 be careful not to get some of the "early version" or "precursor" transmission. A lot of guys are advertising the late 80's MG-290, HM-290, and early 5LM60's as NV3500's. They were known to have problems blowing out their front bearings.

That is just my $0.02. You might run a T5 for years and be happy with it.
So_In_Boiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:04 AM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here is how I replaced the SM465 in my '72 C30 Dually with an NV4500 5 speed overdrive, using all stock parts except the clutch disk.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=673588

LockDoc

-
Old 12-19-2017, 01:03 AM   #12
jocko

I kinda have to agree with the above comments about strength. If you're just tooling around and never plan a burnout, it should be ok, but it's not ideal. If you'd like to preserve some truck capability, I'd go with Leon's 4500 route. If you still want to use the T5 just because you have it, here's a great post by a "highly skilled" mechanic... Ha.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482069 It's in a 66, but the nuts and bolts of the discussion are the same. As Leon said, you can just go with a new disk for an Astro - however, if you need to replace the disk and pressure plate - recommend going with a KIT that includes an Astro disk, pressure plate, AND release bearing. All three should be purchased together if you're doing anything beyond only a friction disk replacement to ensure you have the correct total depth of the comb - some release bearings are thinner/fatter and some pressure plates are fatter/thinner - so you want to make sure you're getting a proper height combo - if you buy as a kit, you will get the correct combo. Anyway, maybe a few useful lessons learned in the link. Good luck.

EDIT: and you can ignore the homemade spacer drawings on the back of a napkin in my thread, just buy one from Hamilton Intakes. They didn't have any when I needed one and I didn't want to wait. I think they may have more quantity available now, demand has been growing.

EDIT # 2 keep in mind that a 94 S10 trans has an electronic speedo connection, not the cable (I THINK). But something to consider. Some folks will wave off completely for this reason - but I know there are ways to make it work, some expensive, some maybe not. Black magic to me! I like mechanical linkages

Last edited by jocko; 12-19-2017 at 01:16 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote